mcbethr

Live Fire Comparison: Kel Tec PF9 and Beretta Nano

A friend of mine just recently bought a Beretta Nano and soon afterwards, the green monster of jealousy draped over me like a cloak - darn it, I want a dedicated carry gun.

Those of you who know me and who have shot with me also know that I would buy a drum of toxic waste if it were shiny and had the Beretta trident on it. Beretta was arming the world for 400 years before Gaston Glock was a twinkle in his daddy's eye. I sincerely believe that Beretta makes the finest firearms in the world.

So I figured that I would burn my last permit on a Beretta Nano. You have got to keep up with the Jones' right?

I had a few hours to kill between my son's little league games so I wandered into Hagues to see if they had anything new.

A used Kel Tec PF9 was sitting right in the case by the door for only $175. I snatched it up. Maybe this thing would perform better than my friend's Nano for half the cost? Yeah, I would show him!

Or maybe I was acting like Ducky when he kissed Iona...

16bm0wm.jpg

Now the Kel Tec PF9 kind of looks like the girl you knew in high school who had a knockout body from behind but when she turned around you remember why you only kissed her in the dark. The PM9 will never win any beauty contests.

fjjf3o.jpg

But the real question is how does it stack up against the Beretta Nano? So my friend and I headed to Ft. Dix to find out.

2112qhd.jpgI

They look pretty much the same although the Beretta has the curves that demand to be held. The Kel Tec is about as attractive as a bucket of knives.

Both guns are roughly the same size. Here they are with the PF9 on top of the Nano

a0gxfq.jpg

The Kel Tec comes with one magazine and retails for about $225. The Beretta Nano costs about $425 and comes with two magazines. The Beretta is striker fired. The PF9 has a semi-internal DAO hammer.

(DAO hammer is by my thumb)

11hw7xi.jpg

I wish I could explain the features of the Kel Tec compared with the Beretta Nano - but there really isn't any comparison.

The Kel Tec doesn't really have any features to speak of except a rail. The magazine sticks at about the halfway point when I insert it into the magazine well and I have to force it in by pushing harder that you would normally think. The gun has a 7 round magazine capacity,

(stops about here)

23h6tj9.jpg

You can adjust the PF9 sights for windage and elevation, so that is something.

The Beretta Nano has a trigger safety, reversible magazine release, striker deactivator and replaceable sights, although it doesn't seem like the sights can be adjusted for windage and elevation. The Nano has a six round magazine capacity.

The trigger on both the PF9 and Nano feel good, although the PF9 has no trigger reset. When you shoot, you have to let that trigger go all the way forward again.

Firing the PF9 is like slamming your right hand down on a waffle iron. The PF9 is so light that shooting it is downright painful and those checkered grips leave a mark. 50 rounds through a PF9 is about all your hands can take.

Shooting the Beretta Nano is exactly the opposite. I never thought I'd say this about a pocket gun, especially after my bad experience with the LCR, but the Beretta Nano is a downright pleasure to shoot.

So how do they stack up? I set up two targets at 7 yards. I figure 7 yards is about maximum range in a self-defense fight anyway.

This was 4 magazines with the PF9 (ignore the cardboard - this is a recycled target),

149xoia.jpg

And this was 4 magazines with the Nano:

k069ew.jpg

You can see the difference in the groups. The Nano was much tighter.

I wore the PF9 in a Remora #5 holster all day Saturday around the house and didn't feel a thing. The gun conceals up to nothing under a shirt. If I had to carry my PX4 or my Kel Tec PF9, the PF9 is the easier, lighter and thinner choice.

Nether gun is an optimal range and home defense gun. Neither have the capacity. And I would rather go to the dentist that shoot the PF9 for fun on the range. These guns are pocket self defense accessories - not a combat pistols. Both guns will hit a man-sized target although neither will win an Olympic completion.

So what's the moral of the story?

If you have a choice between the PF9 and the Nano, get the Nano if you have the money. Will the PF9 work? Yes. Every time you pull the trigger. But the Nano is a better value.

Firing the PF9 is like slamming your right hand down on a waffle iron. The PF9 is so light that shooting it is downright painful and those checkered grips leave a mark. 50 rounds through a PF9 is about all your hands can take.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I recently took my PF9 to the range for the first time, and couldn't believe the kick this little gun had. But I bought it as a back-up, it's not fun to shoot but will do its job if need be.

Good write-up and review. :good:

Nice write-up!

I'm curious - what bad experience did you have with the LCR?

I shot it.

I've put about 100 rounds through an LCR rental. It's like beating your hands with a sledgehammer. Don't get me wrong, It does what it is supposed to do at bad-breath / self-defense ranges and it is very light weight. If you are into revolvers, it's the perfect carry gun. But ouch! It's a good thing Ruger came out with an LCR .22. It will give more people an opportunity to practice without getting nerve damage..

I shot it.

I've put about 100 rounds through an LCR rental. It's like beating your hands with a sledgehammer. Don't get me wrong, It does what it is supposed to do at bad-breath / self-defense ranges and it is very light weight. If you are into revolvers, it's the perfect carry gun. But ouch! It's a good thing Ruger came out with an LCR .22. It will give more people an opportunity to practice without getting nerve damage..

Where you shooting the 357 version? My LCR is comfortable with standard loads.

Ok, quick response before I have to go into a meeting.

I've shot the .38 version of the LCR twice for a total of 100 rounds. I may just be more recoil-sensitive than others. Or maybe I have small hands? My PX4 has the small backstrap on it, so that may be a factor. I remember I shot Remington UMC loads with the LCR.

I am in no way bashing the LCR. I think it's a fine carry gun, and it has one advantage that a semi-auto does not - no stove piping or FTEs, and you can fire it from a coat pocket if you ever had to. But what do I have to compare it to revolver-wise? The Smith and Wesson 686, the Ruger SP101 and the Colt Python. The LCR isn't even in the same universe as those revolvers when it comes to comfort and accuracy. But those guns are guns you show your friends. The LCR is the gun you show somebody who is about to rob you.

Is the LCR painful to me? Yes. Will it matter when you are pulling it out of your waistband because you are being attacked? Absolutely not. Would I tell people not to buy the LCR? No. If you want a carry revolver, I would encourage it. But I also think that its a tool with a very specific purpose.

A friend of mine just recently bought a Beretta Nano and soon afterwards, the green monster of jealousy draped over me like a cloak - darn it, I want a dedicated carry gun.

Those of you who know me and who have shot with me also know that I would buy a drum of toxic waste if it were shiny and had the Beretta trident on it. Beretta was arming the world for 400 years before Gaston Glock was a twinkle in his daddy's eye. I sincerely believe that Beretta makes the finest firearms in the world.

So I figured that I would burn my last permit on a Beretta Nano. You have got to keep up with the Jones' right?

I had a few hours to kill between my son's little league games so I wandered into Hagues to see if they had anything new.

A used Kel Tec PF9 was sitting right in the case by the door for only $175. I snatched it up. Maybe this thing would perform better than my friend's Nano for half the cost? Yeah, I would show him!

Or maybe I was acting like Ducky when he kissed Iona...

16bm0wm.jpg

Now the Kel Tec PF9 kind of looks like the girl you knew in high school who had a knockout body from behind but when she turned around you remember why you only kissed her in the dark. The PM9 will never win any beauty contests.

fjjf3o.jpg

But the real question is how does it stack up against the Beretta Nano? So my friend and I headed to Ft. Dix to find out.

2112qhd.jpgI

They look pretty much the same although the Beretta has the curves that demand to be held. The Kel Tec is about as attractive as a bucket of knives.

Both guns are roughly the same size. Here they are with the PF9 on top of the Nano

a0gxfq.jpg

The Kel Tec comes with one magazine and retails for about $225. The Beretta Nano costs about $425 and comes with two magazines. The Beretta is striker fired. The PF9 has a semi-internal DAO hammer.

(DAO hammer is by my thumb)

11hw7xi.jpg

I wish I could explain the features of the Kel Tec compared with the Beretta Nano - but there really isn't any comparison.

The Kel Tec doesn't really have any features to speak of except a rail. The magazine sticks at about the halfway point when I insert it into the magazine well and I have to force it in by pushing harder that you would normally think. The gun has a 7 round magazine capacity,

(stops about here)

23h6tj9.jpg

You can adjust the PF9 sights for windage and elevation, so that is something.

The Beretta Nano has a trigger safety, reversible magazine release, striker deactivator and replaceable sights, although it doesn't seem like the sights can be adjusted for windage and elevation. The Nano has a six round magazine capacity.

The trigger on both the PF9 and Nano feel good, although the PF9 has no trigger reset. When you shoot, you have to let that trigger go all the way forward again.

Shooting the Beretta Nano is exactly the opposite. I never thought I'd say this about a pocket gun, especially after my bad experience with the LCR, but the Beretta Nano is a downright pleasure to shoot.

So how do they stack up? I set up two targets at 7 yards. I figure 7 yards is about maximum range in a self-defense fight anyway.

This was 4 magazines with the PF9 (ignore the cardboard - this is a recycled target),

149xoia.jpg

And this was 4 magazines with the Nano:

k069ew.jpg

You can see the difference in the groups. The Nano was much tighter.

I wore the PF9 in a Remora #5 holster all day Saturday around the house and didn't feel a thing. The gun conceals up to nothing under a shirt. If I had to carry my PX4 or my Kel Tec PF9, the PF9 is the easier, lighter and thinner choice.

Nether gun is an optimal range and home defense gun. Neither have the capacity. And I would rather go to the dentist that shoot the PF9 for fun on the range. These guns are pocket self defense accessories - not a combat pistols. Both guns will hit a man-sized target although neither will win an Olympic completion.

So what's the moral of the story?

If you have a choice between the PF9 and the Nano, get the Nano if you have the money. Will the PF9 work? Yes. Every time you pull the trigger. But the Nano is a better value.

PM Sent...