NicePants

Revolvers: Fluted vs Unfluted Cylinder

I've always wondered, what exactly is the reason for fluting a revolver cylinder? I've heard weight as one reason, but is there really enough metal being taken off to make a difference? And for a model with say, a full underlug for the purpose of adding weight to tame recoil, why have a fluted cylinder at all? Wouldn't unfluted make more sense if you want more weight? Is it purely aesthetics?

Weight is a good thing....in the right places. Although, I think that the fluted vs. non-fluted is largely cosmetic, there may be enough weight removed from the cylinder to affect balance and ease of carry. As for the full underlug - that is about having weight in the right place. Muzzle "hangs" better for precision work and it dampens recoil for fast follow-up on the same target. Lighter muzzle may allow faster transition among multiple targets. While there are benefits to be had, it's most personal preference and "cool factor".

JMHO

Adios,

Pizza Bob

In the old west, many revolvers were unfluted simply because it was cheaper & faster to produce. There were probably machinery to achieve fluted cylinders back then. On a stainless frame, you have all the weight you need. I do personally think unfluted looks cooler. Cheers.

I mean, I would imagine the weight reduction of fluting would be enough to offset the weight of a single round or so. I think it is mainly cosmetic, however, depending on how your revolver loads, I would imagine it would also perhaps the ease of reloading. I mean, if you have one of the old-style revolvers where the cylinder stays in place, it would be easier to manually turn it if you spun it by putting your finger into the flute. Hell, even in revolvers that swing open, I still see it providing for an easier grip.

-Spoken by someone who doesn't have any revolver experience. :sarcastichand:

My son has a fluted cylinder on his Uberti 1860 Army .44 Cap and Ball Revolver. It's a real pretty charcoal-blue finish, with the 8" barrel. The balance is extraordinary. So much so that no less than three Old Bridge members of the Black Powder League has this specimen. I watched the League Chairman shoot (2) X's out of a 5-shot cylinder's worth at 50 yards strong-hand only on a B-19 Target. The X-ring is about the size of a Quarter! So PB is correct, the balance is the difference, and when it's good, it's REALLY GOOD!

Dave

I've read that fluting was originally done to give fouling with black powder firearms someplace to go other than the face of the cylinder which could interfere with it turning. It was considered an indication of a quality revolver. It was carried over to smokeless powder revolvers mostly for aesthetics. Unfluted cylinders were considered stronger and they were in black powder days. This isn't an issue with modern metallurgy just look at the Ruger LCR.

Underlugs do more than provide extra weight they also protect the ejector rod. I speculate a reason the S&W Model 10 became a more popular police revolveris because the small lug offered some protection and was less likely to hangup on something compared to the Colt. I have seen several Colts with bent ejector rods and only one S&W and that one laid out on Rte 9 overnight getting run over I don't know how many times.

Weight the barrel end has more effect at reducing felt recoil. Its the lever and the fulcrum.

Lightens DA trigger pull too, but probably imperceptibly so...

You saying that an unfluted will lighten DA pull ?

I dont know much about it, but wouldn't it make it a heavier pull since you have more weight on your cylinder to move??? ( waiting for pizza bob to chime in )

You don't need me, this is just physics. One of the things that you're doing, when you pull the trigger, is rotating the cylinder. If the cylinder has a greater mass it will take more effort to turn it, ergo, heavier trigger pull. I'd be curious to know how he arrived his conclusion.

You don't need me, this is just physics. One of the things that you're doing, when you pull the trigger, is rotating the cylinder. If the cylinder has a greater mass it will take more effort to turn it, ergo, heavier trigger pull. I'd be curious to know how he arrived his conclusion.

Thought so.

Thanks Bob.

( btw, you get your hands on that 625pc yet? .... im looking hardcore on a 625jm, mmmmm )

( btw, you get your hands on that 625pc yet? .... im looking hardcore on a 625jm, mmmmm )

Ships Monday, but it'll have to wait 30 days from some day next week as I have another goodie that was shipped Thursday and I'm picking that up first.

ETA: Check the classifieds on the S&W forum