Thanks for the responses... Shouldn't the dealer tell me when I am eligible?

Lets say I took home the second handgun on the 12th and proper time hasn't passed? What would happen?

Unfortunately the place i am getting it is closed on the 13th, a Sunday. So it's either the 12th or the 19th cause of work restrictions.

i talked to the dealer yesterday.. it seems that they were in agreeance that the 12th would be day 31. if i'm correct, the law states one handgun WITHIN a 30 day block. If you block of the days on a calender, Day 1 being day of purchase, day 30 is the 11th.

I've read where people have said that the clock starts the day after you purchase, but this makes no sense to me. I took the gun home that night.. This fact cannot be discounted and has to be considered Day 1.

I definitely don't want to be cavalier and just hope for the best. But I will be out of state on the 19th which mean that i would have to wait all the way to the 26th and that sucks.

Not trying to be a wise-a**.. But what would/can the police do if NICS denies you? You haven't broken the law because you didn't purchase the gun. I haven't read anywhere that it is a crime to attempt to purchase a second gun to soon.

There is no clear cut answer to when day one starts and if you have to wait until the 31st day to purchase.. I hvnt herd of anyone getting anything more then a warning. some one here said they got a call once. Now that's excusable, anything more and yeah def. not. Not much to argue if your trying to buy on day 29.

You bring up a good point Cam. One can not be charged with attempting to acquire a handgun within 30 days, but I would not be comfortable relying on someone else to deny me. Especially the NJSP. You must police yourself.

+1....

Its your responsibility to know nit the dealers....go with the 19th...allow a few days at least so there is NO question

Sucks but it is what it us for now

Nick,

Wouldn't that be the 13th of May, but being a Sunday, unless it was a F2F sale they would have to wait till Monday 5/14 for NICS to be open..

30 days has September

April, June, and November

All the rest have twenty-one

Unless you want to buy a gun

Then you are screwed

New Jersey

Are you sure you want to do this?

That was my vote for the new state motto.

I think all the months have 21 days. :onthequiet:

Well.. I got it on the 12th.. if that is day 1 then may 11th is day 30. So then may 12th would be day 31. That puts me outside the 30 day mark.

You can buy on Day 30, but you start counting days the day after you purchased your last hang gun, not the day you purchased.

You can buy on Day 30, but you start counting days the day after you purchased your last hang gun, not the day you purchased.

So if April 13 is day one... Then May 12 is day 30 and I'm clear, correct, Harry?

So help me out. What does "shall submit within 270 days" mean? Drop it off at the post office with your certified mail form stamped that date or they have to actually receive it within 270 days? Not firearm related, another NJ day counting thing. There is no definition, in case you were wondering.