MedicYeti

S&W Model 59 questions.

I was visiting my local gun shop and chatting with Vinnie about used 9mm's when a customer started giving me all kinds of info. The shop has a used 5906, Vinnie admits he isn't a S&W expert. This guy claims the 5906 is just a slightly newer model of the 59.

Surprisingly I can't find much info to conform/deny his info; just that the 59 is an improvement on the 39.

So, whats the point of this thread? I'm looking for any words of wisdom about the 59's. Are mags between the 59 and the 5903, 5906 and others the same? Will aftermarket sights for the 590# Work with the 59? The local shops model is DA only, not something I'm interested in. The used prices on the 59's and the 590# seem pretty good and reviews look favorable.

Hit me with your knowledge.

Thanks.

From memory:

Two digit model is Gen1, three digit is Gen2, and four digit is Gen3.

39 is single stack, 59 is double stack.

6 is stainless, 4 is alloy.

I never fired the DAO. I carried the DA/SA double stack for 26 years. Great gun.

ETA: 5906 is double stack stainless.

If your local shop has a DAO only 59 its a 5946.

I carried a 59, 659, 469, and a 6906 between 1980 and 1998. Magazines are common to the 59 series (14 or 15 rds) and the 69 series (12 rds). Not sure about your sight question but they should interchange within the same generation. They are pretty much trobule free. The only things you need to do change out the recoil spring every 3000 rds or so and make sure you don't let crud seep down into the firing pin channel where it will lock up the firing pin. There were some 6946s in the middle to late 90s that had frames cracking but I never saw this with any of the 59 series or 6906. I never really cared for the DAO versions and preferred the traditional DA/SA.

I really liked the 659 as the combo of full size and all steel construction resulted in very low recoil allowing fast follow up shots with greater accuracy. I'd buy one if I found a nice one.