Sandy

Well , this thing is slightly complicated.

Got my new 590A1 today..I would post pics , were it assembled lol

Talk about poorly written instructions ( of which I am inept at reading even the best written )

I found a University Of Youtube tutorial on how to get the barrel on ( is it only that screw top on the mag tube that holds it on ? Guess you want to be diligent about keeping that on there fully tightened) ..but , eh , I can't find anything on how to get the factory stock off and it does not touch on that little tidbit in the manual and UYT had nothing on it.

I guess I should clean it before using it. And it says in the instructions there is a wooden dowel in the tube for hunting capacity reasons?? Huh???

Oh , help.....

As a sidenote , with the factory stock on I can't reach the trigger OR the pump action when it is fully forward . At all , not even close. MMMMMMMM...arms like Yoda I have ..MMMMMM

The dowel is a capacity limiter. To do most hunting, it is a Federal law that you can't have more than two in the magazine (with one in the chamber, that makes three total). If you are not hunting, stick the dowl in the box with the instructions so you have it if you need it.

If you want to take that dowel out, do that before you put the barrel on :)

Doh! Ok , I'll take the barrel off. How do I take the dowel out?? It doesn't say , just says it is there..when I look into the front of the mag tube ( muzzle end) there is just a flat metal disc there.

Directions said not to open the action or pull the trigger without the barrel on ..then it said to open the action to put the barrel on ..then it said ....then it lost me.

You don't need to take the barrel off to get the dowel out on a 590. Unscrew the magazine tube end cap - you should see the disc like you described above. There should be a hole and slot in the disc. VERY CAREFUL insert a flat head screwdriver into the hole and gently try to twist the cap. It should start to come loose without too much effort. There is a spring under tension behind the cap/disc - so keep a thumb or something over it or the disc and spring will come flying out of the magazine tube.

Thank you everybody! I think we're good now..

And now onto Fed Ex..they have my adjustable stock in Kearny today ( shipped the 10th from the west ) but say it won't be delivered until Saturday. Excuse me , why? I need for it to have an adjustable stock by Saturday for GFH Urban Shotgun. Unless you can take the course doing one handed pumps over your head , firing with the stock going back past your hip while leaning back and yelling "git off ma land".

Sandy,

You could do that with a pump, but it just works better with a M-1 Garrand, lol!

If I were you, I'd show-up and shoot that thing a few times prior to the class. This way you'll figure out where everything is operations-wise and not look to "GREEN".

Good luck and have fun blasting and remember you're now a member of the "Star Trek Universal Translator's Club", for that's what I call a 12 ga. pump since the sound of a pump coming into battery breaks all language barriers!

Dave

Good one :) I like it! If I get the stock Friday by some minor miracle , I'll try it Friday. Mark offered to let me try his too , if we can both manage to get to the BH Friday afternoon.

Turns out the stock was sent Fedex Smartpost..which basically means cheaper than Fed Ex ground lol It goes to the post office , THEN to me. So I may have it in time , may not. If I don;t Pete will be the one doing the course. Now I just have to watch he doesn't call the post office and ask them to hold our mail until Monday :)

I also ordered a Hogue youth stock with an 11 3/4 inch pull. That won't get here until next week though. I will have a Knoxx Breachers grip for it , but I don't know how well that product works and with 3 kids I need my palm to be somewhat functioning ( in case they get out of line lol..j/k ..kind of ) . Plus I don't think the course calls for a cruiser style shotgun .

Thanks :) Trying to push Pete into getting the same one ( he would want the parkerized one) . He does have his eye on a Browning Riot though. I like the look of that one for him too.

Say , what is the factory stock worth off of mine? Should I keep it or sell it? I'll NEVER use it , and if Pete wants to use my ( this) shotgun in the future it will have the adjustable stock on it . I guess the only reason to keep the factory stock would be to just have it in case I ever sell the gun ? It is not the speedfed one..it is just the synthetic black stock.

you have a lot of questions lady

IIRC, all 590A1s are parkerized. So should yours be.

The factory stock is worth nothing really, they are a dime a dozen.

All women ask a lot of questions.

I meant he wants the black barrel version. Mine is a Mariner.

So it loads from the bottom , eh? I can't help but notice a lack of a heat shield on this..is that something that will make life easier , or just a useless add on? 18.5 inch barrel , 590a1 version..if I am reading correctly there is no shield that fits well , is it worth making something work?

I like the look of them too .. the GFH course I am doing is calling for almost 200 hundred rounds. There is usually a good buffer on rounds actually needed for the course , but imagine if a gun is going to get hot , it would be at this class. I'll just wear an oven mitt on my tactical belt .

I would put it on with no real hesitation , except I read the heat shield needs some bending and coaxing to fit on an A1 barrel .

Actually you might touch the barrel a lot, specially a hot one, depending on how you reload your gun. If you never have to reload your shotgun quickly this is not an issue. I can't think of many self defense scenarios where 8 rounds of shotgun ammo haven't solved the problem and somehow the next eight would. However, if you do need to reload your shotgun, it is the slowest processes on earth compared with all other firearms.

3 gun shooters do this a lot, as speed loading is very much part of the 3 gun. There are a number of techniques like

which require quite a bit of strength and coordination. The older style of speed reloading (which still works for lots of people) is involves flipping the gun into the left hand and reloading with the right (something like this) and doing that without a glove or a heat shield can really hurt.

But yeah, unless you need to speed load your shotgun, it doesn't really matter if you have a heat shield.

Here's the thing - the heat shield covers the barrel - are you really going to be touching the barrel? Except for inadvertent brushing, you're not gonna be up there on it.

Fire 5 rounds off in quick succession, then touch the barrel. It'll be pretty warm. Fire 10 rounds off in succession and it will be HOT. I'm not saying a heat shield would help since its still metal and its sitting on the barrel, but it does separate your hand from the barrel.