Pizza Bob

If Your PD Drags Their Feet on FPID/P2P’s – READ THIS

This is for those people who have recently applied for, or are planning to apply for, an FPID or P2P in a jurisdiction where it takes a long time for approval. I am not talking 5 or 6 weeks, I’m talking 6 months or longer. If this is typical in your town of residence, it is very important that you document ALL interactions with the issuing agency. Start with when the application was turned in and then make inquiries from there, I am not saying that you should pester the hell out of them, but be reasonable. Maybe a polite inquiry at 45 days – document who you talk to, when, and what was said. Maybe again at 60 days. Reasonable intervals and always be polite. Always document the who, what, and when and it is especially important to document if you are threatened in any way; i.e. “I’ll move your application to the bottom of the pile if you keep calling.”

It’s time for NJ gun owners, and potential gun owners, to go on the offensive. We can’t do that unless there is documented evidence of the abuse you are subjected to in the process of obtaining FPID’s or P2P’s. I don’t know if you will ever be called upon to put this documentation to use – but just as they say about guns – better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

If you are subjected to abuse during the process, make sure you come on here and let all of us know.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

As of today I have been waiting 51 days and counting. I politely called after 30 days and left a voicemail, no call backs. 2 days ago I called again, I called 3 times and couldn't get a hold of the DT at his desk, so on the 3rd try I left a voicemail. All I said on the voicemail was my name and I'm doing a follow up call on the status of my FID and please call me back. A couple of hours later I got a call back from the DT and he said, everything is done on his side of the paperwork and he was only waiting on union TOWNSHIP to their own investigation. So I said what does that mean? The DT said they have to check if I have any records of domestic violence or any charges and all I can do is wait. Last thing the DT said was he will be calling me as soon as he gets it or send me a letter when to pick it up.

I don't understand thier process of this whole thing.....

Ps. Thanks for the INFO pizza BOB

56 days today and still counting...

I live in Brick and the ladies there are very good to deal with. They seem to turn things around within 30 days. I went to the PD on May 8, 2012 for another purchase permit and she informed me it would take about 2-3 months this time. I asked why and she stated that they are inundated this P2P's. Dealing with over 300 a month in the last few month's. I don't know if that was accurate, but it was indeed good to hear. I will keep folks posted. Jim....out.

As of today I have been waiting 51 days and counting. I politely called after 30 days and left a voicemail, no call backs. 2 days ago I called again, I called 3 times and couldn't get a hold of the DT at his desk, so on the 3rd try I left a voicemail. All I said on the voicemail was my name and I'm doing a follow up call on the status of my FID and please call me back. A couple of hours later I got a call back from the DT and he said, everything is done on his side of the paperwork and he was only waiting on union TOWNSHIP to their own investigation. So I said what does that mean? The DT said they have to check if I have any records of domestic violence or any charges and all I can do is wait. Last thing the DT said was he will be calling me as soon as he gets it or send me a letter when to pick it up.

I don't understand thier process of this whole thing.....

Ps. Thanks for the INFO pizza BOB

All u do is type Ur name and social into the.CPU and boom it tells yah any local charges, I can do that at a jail level. Freaking retarded

Point Pleasant - One of my employees dropped off FPID paperwork on 11/28/11, received his FPID and PP on May 9th! No reason given besides the normal, "she's on vacation, he's on vacation, the detective is out sick", BS..

Brick - I dropped off PP on 2/28, received them on 5/10, not terrible, but not great either.

Don't blame the PDs. Blame the State. First off, the whole P2P process is a relic of the past, made obsolete by the instant check process that we all have to go through anyway. Second, because the state has cut aid to the towns, they have been forced to lay off Officers. Officers first duty is to investigate crimes. Many departments simply can't keep up with the increasing demand for permits with dwindling manpower. Until the State shelves the antiquated paper P2P system, nothing will change. You can call all you want, it won't do anything except waste your time.

Don't blame the PDs. Blame the State. First off, the whole P2P process is a relic of the past, made obsolete by the instant check process that we all have to go through anyway. Second, because the state has cut aid to the towns, they have been forced to lay off Officers. Officers first duty is to investigate crimes. Many departments simply can't keep up with the increasing demand for permits with dwindling manpower. Until the State shelves the antiquated paper P2P system, nothing will change. You can call all you want, it won't do anything except waste your time.

Yeah some delay is with the state police but if you search around on this site you'll find that people have recently gotten permits in as little time as a week. So it can be done, in some towns it's just not as high on the priority list, as say having the cops write a few more revenue generating tickets.

Yeah some delay is with the state police but if you search around on this site you'll find that people have recently gotten permits in as little time as a week. So it can be done, in some towns it's just not as high on the priority list, as say having the cops write a few more revenue generating tickets.

Reality of life. Again, blame the state, they are the ones creating all the red tape. In my PD the detective that does them has to balance doing the permits with such trivial matters as burglaries, sexual assaults and drug activity. It's not that the PD are dragging their feet, they simply don't have the time to handle the flood of requests.

Reality of life. Again, blame the state, they are the ones creating all the red tape. In my PD the detective that does them has to balance doing the permits with such trivial matters as burglaries, sexual assaults and drug activity. It's not that the PD are dragging their feet, they simply don't have the time to handle the flood of requests.

Not to go too off tangent but:::::

I was in Ireland. Drinking in a local bar in Dublin. Guy there recognized my Yank accent and asked me why we had so much police in our country of America. I was puzzled. Asked him what he meant. He explained that in Ireland that had Garda. Just Garda. Why did America need local, county, state and federal police departments.

More to the law. The NJ law says that FID shall be issued within 30 days unless good cause can be shown to deny. The courts have, in my opinion, overruled from the bench this law. 30 days is plenty of time to find evidence to deny someone their FID.

I'm still trying to figure out what manpower shortages have to do with my constitutional rights.

Can you imagine showing up to vote and them saying "Sorry sir, you can't vote because we don't have enough people to run the booth." The ACLU would show up in helocopters if they caught wind of something like this.

Not to go too off tangent but:::::

I was in Ireland. Drinking in a local bar in Dublin. Guy there recognized my Yank accent and asked me why we had so much police in our country of America. I was puzzled. Asked him what he meant. He explained that in Ireland that had Garda. Just Garda. Why did America need local, county, state and federal police departments.

More to the law. The NJ law says that FID shall be issued within 30 days unless good cause can be shown to deny. The courts have, in my opinion, overruled from the bench this law. 30 days is plenty of time to find evidence to deny someone their FID.

You guys just don't get it. It's not that it takes that long to check, it's that there are a stack of a 100 or so similar applications ahead of you. It takes time to get through it. There is no reason for NJ to continue to use the old fashion and redundant paper system. This is the reason for the delay, not some sinister anti gun plan by your local PD.

I'm still trying to figure out what manpower shortages have to do with my constitutional rights.

Can you imagine showing up to vote and them saying "Sorry sir, you can't vote because we don't have enough people to run the booth." The ACLU would show up in helocopters if they caught wind of something like this.

Constitutional rights? Are you being denied firearms ownership? Please, I all for firearms ownership, but some of you 2A extremists think you should be able to buy guns as easily as a can of soda. Yes, NJ laws suck, but no body is being denied their 2A rights because of the delay.

Constitutional rights? Are you being denied firearms ownership? Please, I all for firearms ownership, but some of you 2A extremists think you should be able to buy guns as easily as a can of soda. Yes, NJ laws suck, but no body is being denied their 2A rights because of the delay.

Well it should be as easy as going to a shop saying I want this, a call to NICS and you get a thumb's up, pay, and go on your way.

So in your comparison, maybe not as easy as a can of soda, but only a phone call and some paperwork should be the only difference.

Sorry chief, but there is no way around it. As our Founders understood them, my rights are being infringed. Perhaps you would care to purchase a free speech or religion permit, but do not count me in. After all, maybe NJ is too "densly populated" to allow free speech - someone might get their feelings hurt.

Also, my rights extend beyond a right to purchase arms - I seem to remember a line about "keep and bear arms." A safe full of shooting irons doesn not do wonders for me when I am walking around downtown Newark.

So I suppose in the mean time you can go and buy a gun while you wait right? No, you can't. You are being denied your right. Even if you feel that is temporary so it is okay, it still exists. The fact you feel it is okay to be delayed is not even justified by NJ law itself! So even if I feel the whole permit/FPID system is bad, that much is irrelevant. The fact is, there is a system, and it is NOT BEING FOLLOWED. They are breaking the law, and you can make as many excuses as you want to the reason. Does it mean I am okay if I drive without a license because I didn't have time to get it renewed. What about take food without paying for it because I was busy and didn't have time to make any money. I could go on and on, but you are just making an excuse that doesn't pass on the most basic of legal scales...not that they are followed anyways.

So why aren't those that don't follow the law (for whatever excuse), charged?

There is some clear hypocrisy here.

Unless my excuses for not following the law allow me to commit crimes and not be charged, or make it okay, any excuse is just that, an excuse...bs.

Let's get on point folks. The purpose of this thread was to gather information about those PD's that are giving us problems so that we can help state organizations best decide where to use their resources. Thus far, with the exception of Post #2 all we have is people either telling us what a stellar/adequate job their PD is doing or a debate on whether NJ is infringing our rights (duh?).

Post here if you have had to wait an extended period (as defined in the OP). For those that live in those municipalities and will be applying - document, document, document - can't stress it enough.

If you just want to laud your PD or get into a 2A debate re: NJ, start another thread.

Focus - this is for your benefit.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I heard from an FFL dealer that NJ may be considering doing away with the handgun applications due to the overwhelming burden it imposes on local police departments. I dont know how true that is or is not, just relaying what I was told.

On a side note, my local town a civilian clerk does 90% of the work for the application process.

I heard from an FFL dealer that NJ may be considering doing away with the handgun applications due to the overwhelming burden it imposes on local police departments. I dont know how true that is or is not, just relaying what I was told.

On a side note, my local town a civilian clerk does 90% of the work for the application process.

I read the same thing at my range. Bob Viden had an article in the NRA NJ range news letter. I believe they are waiting on a bill number. It would put the responsibility of the P2P on the gun shop. It did not mention eliminating OGAM or address how exemptions would be handled. Let's just hope that if the PD issued P2P goes away, OGAM will also go bye bye next. The story mentions that it has the support of many NJ police chiefs who believe the NJ P2P does nothing but take man hours away from other law enforcement work.

There still is the issue of the FID card, which for a new gun owner or someone changing addresses is a pain in the arse.

I will have to see if I can find a copy of the story.

I remember reading that. The bill would have done away with the P2P except for private handgun sales, since NICS wouldn't be involved with that. The sticking point with many pro gun groups was insertion of language requiring "showing good cause" for purchasing a handgun. I don't think the legislation went anywhere, but I'm not sure.