9supratt4

Old 18 round rifle illegal?

i wouldnt worry to much about it. i had a bad break up years before i was married. i was at a bar with one girl and the ex wasnt so happy. she signed a temp ro on me. it only lasted a few days and at the first court date it was dropped. judges always grant a temp ro to a woman. but when i was served i had to turn in the guns i had. (back then it wasnt many) but one was a marlin tube fed .22 that i had no clue was illegal. not only did they not say a word about it but the prosecutors office gave it back to me. i may still have the release papers somewhere filed. i seriously doubt the state police are raiding houses over marlin .22's. i sat and talked to an officer in the firearms unit about gun laws and the way he put it is if you just have the gun and only go to the range they dont care. these rules are in effect to be able to put longer sentences on criminals.

now that im thinking about it the marlin had a threaded barrel also.

GOOD judges don't

From what my lawyer told me its a liability issue. They grant it so they can be sued if something happens. But they won't put a permanent one in effect without reason.

Judges can't normally be sued for a decision. Otherwise who would want to be a judge. If you're looking for a career as a judge you don't want your decisions overturned as its not something you want on your resume. However DV ROs are in a slightly different category.

Granting a temporary RO is just that, a temporary measure. If there are valid reasons the judge will grant it but also want to hear the rest of the story to make it permanent. Yes there are liberal judges (no surprise in NJ) who will give a woman a temporary RO on a flimsy reason because they only see men as abusers. There are plenty of women abusers out there also. As Kpdpipes said a good judge will listen to the facts and only issue a temporary DV RO if there is DV.

Just as a point of reference, there ARE semi auto tube fed rifles that are marked 22LR, 22 Long and 22 Short and they do function properly with all ammo.

Not challenging you, just curious: Makes & models?

Judges can't normally be sued for a decision. Otherwise who would want to be a judge. If you're looking for a career as a judge you don't want your decisions overturned as its not something you want on your resume. However DV ROs are in a slightly different category.

Granting a temporary RO is just that, a temporary measure. If there are valid reasons the judge will grant it but also want to hear the rest of the story to make it permanent. Yes there are liberal judges (no surprise in NJ) who will give a woman a temporary RO on a flimsy reason because they only see men as abusers. There are plenty of women abusers out there also. As Kpdpipes said a good judge will listen to the facts and only issue a temporary DV RO if there is DV.

My Municipal Judge will grant anyone an Ro for anything...when he's on Vacation the Next Town over's Judge OTOH talks to the Complaintant, asks questions and then makes the decision..he probably rejects about 20%

My father in law has an old JC Higgins model 31 or 34 (I can't remember exact). Barrell is stamped .22 short, long and long rifle.

He lives in PA, so if I mod this to hold 15 22 shorts I can have this transferred to me in NJ legally?

Yes. Both the 31 & 34 were semi-autos that would work with S, L & LR, so it would have to be 15 shorts.

HTH

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The case previously mention involving a Marlin 60 with a 17-round magazine is State v. Joseph Pelleteri. Pelleteri had an unfired Marlin 60 in his safe with the tags still on it. He went to jail for an assault weapon. The conviction was appeal and this is quoted from the judges' opinion: "In short, we view the statute as a regulatory measure in the interests of the public safety, premised on the thesis that one would hardly be surprised to learn that possession of such a highly dangerous offensive weapon is proscribed absent the requisite license."

When I move to North Carolina, I may buy a Remington 582 just because I can. See you there!

Does lever action have to hold only 15 I want a Henry lever action in the Eagle Scout edition

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No, mag limitation only applies to semi-auto.

NOTE: If you have a removable >15 round magazine that fits a pump or lever, but also fits a semi-auto, it is the mag itself that is illegal, so it must be limited to 15.

No.mag limitation only applies to semi-auto.

NOTE: If you have a removable >15 round magazine that fits a pump or lever, but also fits a semi-auto, it is the mag itself that is illegal, so it must be limited to 15.

This whole thread seems to suggest otherwise. I'm not an expert on this law so I have no idea but people cited a case where someone was charged and was convicted for having the 18 rd lever action rifle.

This whole thread seems to suggest otherwise. I'm not an expert on this law so I have no idea but people cited a case where someone was charged and was convicted for having the 18 rd lever action rifle.

No, you're thinking of the case where the Marlin Mod 60 caused an arrest. That's a semi-auto rifle.