9supratt4

Old 18 round rifle illegal?

Hi Everyone! I am completely new here and new to firearms.

I have been reading all the laws over and over as I don't want to break any laws.

I have not found anything on my issue though...My uncle has an old 1974 Marlin Glenfield Model 60 long rifle. This rifle was made in '74 with an 18-round tubular magazine. He wants to give the gun to me, but I am concerned that it holds 18-rounds.

I can't find anything in any laws about anything about if a gun was manufactured before the 15-round law was enacted (which I'm not sure when it was). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks!

Unmodified, it's an illegal NJ Assault weapon.

To make it jersey-legal, remove the inner magazine tube.

Get a small tubing cutter (as used by plumbers) and replace the cutter wheel with a similar sized thin washer.

Use the modified tool to score (not cut through) the brass tube to prevent the follower inside the mag tube from going far enough to have the completed assembly (tube inserted in the rifle) accept more than 15 .22LR cartridges.

Voila!

Jersey-legal

im not sure if nj laws 15 round limit on removable magazines applies to tube magazine on rifles, can someone please clear this up for the op before he ruins a nice rifle!!!

please dont do anything to that rifle until one of the experts answers, like pk90, pizza bob and others that really know there stuff..

If the law does not specify and it is semi-automatic, then it is up to the interpretation of the judge... if you want to go through that, sure, go ahead.

Annoyingly, some of those rifles (old tube fed semi-autos) take 22long and 22shorts, meaning, what if they pop in 16+ shorts in there...? =\

Unmodified, it's an illegal NJ Assault weapon.

To make it jersey-legal, remove the inner magazine tube.

Get a small tubing cutter (as used by plumbers) and replace the cutter wheel with a similar sized thin washer.

Use the modified tool to score (not cut through) the brass tube to prevent the follower inside the mag tube from going far enough to have the completed assembly (tube inserted in the rifle) accept more than 15 .22LR cartridges.

Voila!

Jersey-legal

i will say this works well

Unfortunately, clearly illegal IMHO with the legal definitions.

2C:39-1w: Assault firearm is a " (4) A semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds."

and a magazine is:

2c:39-1y: "Large capacity ammunition magazine" means a box, drum, tube or other container which is capable of holding more than 15 rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously and directly therefrom into a semi-automatic firearm.

So, a fixed magazine with more than 15 rounds, and the inclusion of "tube" in the second piece seems to make them pretty much illegal....

When the OP looks at the rifle, he will see it is plainly marked ".22LR"

As a semi-auto, it will NOT properly feed shorts or longs due to the length of the elevator in the action.

So when the tube is crimped to allow for a capacity of 15 .22LR, yes it would hold more .22Long or Shorts, but they are not the ammo specified for that weapon.

This is the same weapon that cost Joe Pelletiere his FID and his voting rights.

There is NO EXCEPTION in NJ Assault Weapon law for tube-fed rimfire semi-autos.

(There is in NY, though)

I have not found anything on my issue though...My uncle has an old 1974 Marlin Glenfield Model 60 long rifle. This rifle was made in '74 with an 18-round tubular magazine. He wants to give the gun to me, but I am concerned that it holds 18-rounds.

Be aware, if your uncle lives in NJ and did not register this rifle before 1992(?), he is in possession of an illegal assault weapon as well.

Technically, this Mossberg is legal, even with the collapsible stock.... well, the NJ model that does not have the flash suppressor.

HC_feature_030612large.jpg

In NJ, it could have an adjustable stock, bayonet lug, flash suppressor and a chainsaw. If it's not semi-automatic, you can add whatever features you want and not have an assault rifle....

Be aware, if your uncle lives in NJ and did not register this rifle before 1992(?), he is in possession of an illegal assault weapon as well.

The only way this rifle could have been registered is if it were made non-operational. The only "assault weapons" that could have been registered operational were the M1A, AR15, and M1 carbine.

In NJ, it could have an adjustable stock, bayonet lug, flash suppressor and a chainsaw. If it's not semi-automatic, you can add whatever features you want and not have an assault rifle....

I was fondling a Ruger Scout .308 with a flash hider just the other day. I don't believe that it was pinned, either.

im not sure if nj laws 15 round limit on removable magazines applies to tube magazine on rifles, can someone please clear this up for the op before he ruins a nice rifle!!!

please dont do anything to that rifle until one of the experts answers, like pk90, pizza bob and others that really know there stuff..

NJ DOES in fact Limit Tubular Magazines on .22 Semiautomatic Rifles..at least ONE person HAS ALREADY BEEN PROSECUTED for an Unlawful "Assault Weapon" with that EXACT FIREARM.

I was fondling a Ruger Scout .308 with a flash hider just the other day. I don't believe that it was pinned, either.

Ruger Scout Rifle = bolt action (right?), so no assault weapon rules apply to it. You can add an adjustable stock, bayonet lug, 2 flash hiders and a chainsaw and it will still be legal.