Sign in to follow this  
bhunted

Is it or is it not...

Ok... Past couple of days, I've been catching up here and re- educating on laws new and old. Hope this is the right section for this post..

Soooo... I have a post-ban Bushmaster M4... In the legality aspect, it's still post ban legal. Nothing altered. Just added to. NJ State law has Bushmaster listed as an assault banned weapon. It was sold to me new in NJ in 2001-02 (can't remember exact date at the moment)...

The question: Is it still legal to own. I see a lot of chatter of folks that own/build them here and not to mention the AR Forum we are in... Is this just one of those gray areas or a poor depiction of the posted law?

Sorry if it's been asked before... Didn't notice if it was..

Sent from John's iPad

So it sounds to me it can be confusing to some because the M4 is considered(?) an assault weapon...? Or further down in the writ, or any weapon looking like any of the above...

Bad enough we have some of the strictest laws in the country, but they are vague at times too.

Thanks...

Sent from John's iPad

Neither M4 nor AR....

XM15-E2S...

But even so..... What about the resemblance part?

Sent from John's iPad

Right, It's not a "Bushmaster Assault Rifle, it's not a M4, it's not an AR15. So, it's not on the named list.

If it only has one evil feature, the pistol grip, it does not legally resemble a banned weapon.

If it has pistol grip plus a flash hider or a collapsible stock it legally resembles and it's not legal.

That's what I figured but wanted some re-enforcement. I've had quite a few discussions with LEOs and you get mass confusion.

The grip is a whole other ballgame. I put a vertical grip on the forearm rail. The discussion was, it's ok. Because the law states I believe, only one vertical or pistol style grip -under- the action/receiver... So I have the Pro Grip / Bipod and it is one sweet piece.

Sent from John's iPad

Heh, My chandelier ....lol.

Clicking on it rights it though still crappy. I'll get some good ones for that post elsewhere later... :)

Where you swinging from a tree when you took that? :p

Sent from John's iPad

I knew that already.... This whole thread was basically about an interpretation of the law.... :/Why is it the end?Not allowed to discuss?

its legal. end of discussion
Sent from John's iPad

The question: Is it still legal to own. I see a lot of chatter of folks that own/build them here and not to mention the AR Forum we are in... Is this just one of those gray areas or a poor depiction of the posted law?

Sorry if it's been asked before... Didn't notice if it was..

I knew that already.... This whole thread was basically about an interpretation of the law.... :/Why is it the end?Not allowed to discuss?

if you knew it was legal already, why did you ask 'is it still legal to own.' everyone said yes, its legal to own, yet you kept on making points about how you thought it wasnt legal. if all you wanted was clarification on the law, you should have asked that. not if your gun is legal or not.

If you read my original post,it was referring to the law with my rifle as an example. I even said brushing up on old laws and new. So is this what the forum is all about? A new guy gets slammed for starting conversation? Typical of forums I guess.

If I annoyed you, you didn't have to read my post any further. You didn't impress me as anyone that was willing to help Epic...

Sent from John's iPad

Yea, the iPad isn't known for having the best photos in low light. Dunno why they decided not to add a flash like the iPhones...

+100000000000000000

epic...

Sent from John's iPad

If you read my original post,it was referring to the law with my rifle as an example. I even said brushing up on old laws and new. So is this what the forum is all about? A new guy gets slammed for starting conversation? Typical of forums I guess.

If I annoyed you, you didn't have to read my post any further. You didn't impress me as anyone that was willing to help Epic...

Sent from John's iPad

Everyone read your original post and to me you were asking if your gun was legal, it's right there plain as day. Your asking a question we see here everyday, and there is a reason people have compiled sources for the site to read up on NJ law.... Your looking to discuss the laws, but there isn't much to discuss... and believe it or not the law is pretty clear until you start talking about modifications.

Is your gun banned by name? Does the receiver have stamped into it any one of the NJ's AWB's guns listed.

Is it identical to anyone of the guns listed by having more then 1 evil features?

IMO this is one of the more strait forward parts of NJ law.

If you cant take a little poking, then the internet is a bad place to hang around... stick around were not all that bad...

So shoot me.... I can take poking... Even like my crappy photo... As for anything else and the internet... I've been around on forums long enough to recognize fun or not. I've moderated and ran many and the internet is my hobby and business. But anyway you look at it, starting out that way can easily be leaving a bad taste... Short and abrupt is that bad taste.Its like I was just told to shut up. So consider it dropped.... Case closed...

Sent from John's iPad

So it would be safe to say your familiar with the search function...

Your question could have been answered here-

http://njgunforums.c...__1#entry401018

Despite what you may think, people enjoy having lengthy discussions on here, you asked a strait forward one answer question... so im not sure what you mean by short and abrupt.... you got your answer quickly.. People simply don't want to discuss what your asking because we have a lot of info on it already floating around the forum, but we still try and and help.... i'm seriously surprised no one just posted the above link and left it at that.

Abrupt I was referring to Epics' end of discussion answer.

As for the search function, of course... For some reason just never caught that one. I read the reposted laws from another section. This whole thing boiled to the "substantially identical" clause of the law.

I've owned guns for 36 years. I knew/know my gun(s) is/are legal. I stated that in my first post. Also that my add-ons were legal. Also posted. The whole law written has never been THAT clear to anyone. If it were, there would be no discussions at all. Further, as I mentioned, I and many LEOs have discussed this with mixed answers and much confusion. So it shows what they are sure of and not. The part, "substantially identical" can be easily misunderstood. My X15 does look like an M4 or an AR15 or a M16, etc.. Call it what you will.... Stamped numbers mean squat. If it were up to idiots in the govt., ALL black guns would be outlawed...

This is all I was referring to. As a new member, I wanted to drum up some conversation so we could get to know each other. Never to be redundant, (and if you been on forums as long as I have, people have the tendency of being redundant no matter how any times something could be answered.) So maybe I'm guilty of that a little. Guilty of not finding that enlightning thread. It was unintentional. For that, I apologize. A little poking is fun, but harshness is not. There is a lot to read here and catch up on... I still have a lot more to go... But try cutting new arrivals a little slack. I'm the nicest guy around and would always try to help someone. But never with arrogance or ignorance. Nobody had to answer at all if they didn't feel they had to no more than if you were against go-go bars... you don't have to enter them. But they exist..

Peace Out....

So it would be safe to say your familiar with the search function...

Your question could have been answered here-

http://njgunforums.c...__1#entry401018

Despite what you may think, people enjoy having lengthy discussions on here, you asked a strait forward one answer question... so im not sure what you mean by short and abrupt.... you got your answer quickly.. People simply don't want to discuss what your asking because we have a lot of info on it already floating around the forum, but we still try and and help.... i'm seriously surprised no one just posted the above link and left it at that.

LMAO, now that is funny. I was waiting for someone to ask that... They protect the sights and muzzle in storage... Lol :)

Why is your rifle wearing condoms?

Sent from John's iPad