Malice4you

best way to attach a light?

So, I finally got my Benelli Supernova tactical, which is my HD gun. I've got a Nordic +2 and Nordic magazine clamp on the gun. I also currently have a flashlight attached via an inexpensive fiberglass reenforced nylon screw-together clamp, usually intended for securing the magazine tube to the barrel.

Took the gun to the range today, and put around 50 shells through, everything from 2 3/4" target loads through 3 1/2" 00 buck and 2 3/4" - 3" rifled slugs.

Problem is, the flashlight clamp crept forward, moving about 2-3" forward, so that the clamp was halfway hanging off the 'edge' of the magazine extension by the 50th shot. The flashlight clamp had been attached securely (and remained so), enough that I was unable to push it back using both hands. (Granted, if I am going through that many rounds in a home defense situation, something is SERIOUSLY wrong...and a flashlight falling off the gun is probably no longer my biggest concern.)

Since I want the flashlight to remain in exactly the position it is currently in (in line under the magazine tube), what is a good, sturdy flashlight clamp to attach the flashlight to the magazine tube?

-The flashlight is a standard 1" tube, other side needs to attach to the Nordic +2 mag extension.

-I'd like to avoid any rail-based system (I could get the rail for the Nordic magazine clamp, but that would position the flashlight to the side of the gun, where I do not want it)

-I don't want cheap crap

-Surefire does not make a pump fore end for the Supernova

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Can you post a picture of the setup I'm having a hard time imagining the setup.

My first instinct would be to put a piece of electrical tape on the mounting bracket to the flashlight. This should prevent it from moving forward, but it would also melt at 179 degrees.

You could get the Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl electrical tape, which would get you up to 220 degrees or the 3M Glass Cloth electrical tape, which gets you to 392 degrees.

I don't know how hot a shotgun barrel gets after volume fire, but the next time you go to the range, you could put a drop of water on the barrel it right after you shoot. If the water boils away immediately, you know its over 212 degrees.

My suggestion (again without looking at the gun), would be to try the Scotch Super 33+ Vinyl electrical tape first since it only costs $5.00 and see if it melts after 50 shells.

benelli.jpg

I'd like to keep the flashlight clamp exactly where it is, and the flashlight roughly where it is as well. I think I need something using two cross bolts for greater surface contact/pressure on the magazine tube, similar to the Nordic clamp I have for the magazine tube.

The picture is much better.

I think you could get a small rubber washer for the nut. Take off the nut, pop the rubber washer on, put the nut back on and tighten. That would help with the vibrations and shaking the flashlight lose.

It seems to me your main problem is that there is nothing forward of the flashlight mount to prevent it from going forward. I think you could put a metal hose clamp on the magazine tube just forward of the flashlight. Just paint it black beforehand with spray paint. But the more I think of it, the more I like the idea of the 3M Glass Cloth electrical tape. If you put just one strip around the front of the magazine tube, it will prevent the flashlight from moving forward. I don't see your barrel getting hotter than 400 degrees. You may have to paint that black too.

Duct tape....of course! Always love that picture.

I will look into the tape as a temporary solution. I would prefer a more permanent, solid solution if possible, however.

Thank you for the help, sorry for the lack of a photo in the first post.

Not sure if this would work, but maybe throw a pair of large O-rings right around your tube, spaced out a few millimeters from each end and slip the flashlight mount clamp on them? Absorb some of the vibration and add some more positive friction for the clamp?

His flashlight mount clamps to the mag tube, not the barrel. Doubt the mag tube is going to get hot enough to melt anything.

Can you switch the positions of the nordic clamp and the flashlight mount, so that the clamp is forward of the flashlight mount? That way the flashlight mount will butt up against the nordic clamp and be restricted from moving forward.

His flashlight mount clamps to the mag tube, not the barrel. Doubt the mag tube is going to get hot enough to melt anything.

Can you switch the positions of the nordic clamp and the flashlight mount, so that the clamp is forward of the flashlight mount? That way the flashlight mount will butt up against the nordic clamp and be restricted from moving forward.

This is what I ended up doing. I am still looking for a better clamp than what I have now, and one of these days I may see if I can get another Nordic magazine clamp and use that for the flashlight, if it will fit the tube and flashlight.

I bought a surefire tac light forearm for my Mossberg 590. I like that better than attaching lights to a rail..

I would do this if they made one for the Benelli...

I would rotate that to the left or right side of the shotgun, depending on if your lefty or righty. Try it, you'll find your thumb lines up perfectly for easy use.

I have the same setup, sounds like a good idea. Also, I still want to install a sling, so under the barrel is not going to work.

2 point sling?

Yes, I bought this one, although I will have to install a rear stud for the one point. I have a 5 shot but cuff on it already. Yes, I know this is total overkill, but what the hell, why not. Between 5 in the tube, 5 on the stock, and an extra 15 on the sling. You know you will not run out of ammo in a "BAD" situation.

2-BH43SS15BK_a.jpg

benelli.jpg

I'd like to keep the flashlight clamp exactly where it is, and the flashlight roughly where it is as well. I think I need something using two cross bolts for greater surface contact/pressure on the magazine tube, similar to the Nordic clamp I have for the magazine tube.

Supertelephoto, Your set up looks good. What kind of clamp are you using on this pic? Hows the fit?

the barrel <> mag tube clamp is a Nordic Components Benelli clamp.  Fit and finish are excellent.  If/when I get another Supernova, I will be getting another extension and clamp from Nordic.  Their parts are a little more expensive than others I've seen, but completely worth it IMO.  Believe I got mine from Mesa Tactical.

The Mag tube <> flashlight clamp is some cheap nylon crap that the screw threads wore off after a couple hundred rounds.  I resurrected it with a new, bigger screw and three nuts on my 'backup' HD shotgun.  It has been solid enough for me after I improved the clamp..