FishNJ

Local PD Requires New Fingerprint and NICS to Get P2Ps

Sorry but Nonsense..the Local departments had NOTHING to do with this Sagem Morpho BS..thank your Politicians in Trenton for that. Conservatively estimating, I'd say at a minimum, 90% of PD's HAVE Livescan systems now to do fingerprints, ALL of which are purchased from... Wait for it, SAGEM MORPHO. There is absolutely NO reason any local PD cannot do the fingerprinting on Site, since the systems we use are the EXACT same ones.

Then maybe my crackpot idea isn't so far-fetched after-all!

Who owns Sagem Morpho and are they politically connected? I smell a dead fish in a garbage can!!!!!!!

It's still extortion!

it's not a free check, the FFL is charged by the state

So the state charges FFL's for a free check, who then, in turn, charge your, for the free check only because they are being charged. So like I said..

:You get charged $15 for a free check?

What other states do this?

So the state charges FFL's for a free check, who then, in turn, charge your, for the free check only because they are being charged. So like I said..

:You get charged $15 for a free check?

What other states do this?

PA I believe.

PA I believe.

Most other states/dealers charge for a NICS check, although it is usually a nominal fee as in <$5. PA is also a POC (Point of Contact) state with the PASP running the system and they call it PICS - even as a POC state, their fee is <$5.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Most other states/dealers charge for a NICS check, although it is usually a nominal fee as in <$5. PA is also a POC (Point of Contact) state with the PASP running the system and they call it PICS - even as a POC state, their fee is <$5.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I don't believe MOST states charge a fee, NJ, PA & FL do - NY, DE, MA, NH do not, the rest I'm not sure about, some states charge a fee only if you don't have a CCW.

Then maybe my crackpot idea isn't so far-fetched after-all!

Who owns Sagem Morpho and are they politically connected? I smell a dead fish in a garbage can!!!!!!!

It's still extortion!

I agree the really annoying thing is that the machines HAVE an "Applicant" default..we just arent allowed to use it anymore.. the ONLY fingerprinting we do in-house now is for Criminal Arrests, and applicants who come in with paper cards..even our Own new Hires have to go to sagem, as do those of us who go get SORA (Security officers cards needed to work side-jobs) cards. it was a Slow progression but somehow (nudge Nudge) Sagem morpho has locked up the entire state...

Sagem Morpho is the perfect example of "privitazation" of a government function. Something that in the past was handled by the town/county/state for a small fee gets privitizied and now WE have no options or recourse on the high costs of the privitazation that was supposed to save money. This same process will occur with any privatization that occurs be it trash collection, running state parks, DMV and so on. As much as some people don't like government workers as they think they cost tax payers too much they do perform their functions without politics or profits. Several years ago I had to get fingerprinted for an adoption and had to have it done 3 times for 3 different agencies, Why couldn't I just use my current SBI number for them to access, Because some politician had to make a profit. I would like to know the political connection of SM to the NJ politician/polticians.

sorry for disappearing for a bit there. I appreciate all of the good info and insight here. also appreciate the help from NJ2AS. looks like the PD is within their power, as redundant and annoying as it is. i'll follow up and let you know just how long it takes to get the permits... thanks all.

My local PD (South Brunswick) requires finger prints every 2 or 3 years (cant remember which one it is). It was once explained that it was 2 or 3 years since any activity, such as applying for permits, but then the last time I went to apply, they said its just every 2 or 3 years, and that I just made it by a few days...And that the next time I apply, Ill need new prints. I did ask if that was a state requirement, and they said it wasnt...it was a local ordnance..or something to that effect. ......so I get my 3 permits, use one...then call to extend the otehr 2...never hear back from them and now they have expired...

I am from the same township. They are confuse with their own policy. Their web site indicates :

Fingerprinting is necessary for:

•First time applicants

•Applicants who have a South Brunswick Firearms ID Card but have not had activity on their firearms account for over 2 years

•Change of Address or lost/stolen ID Card

Based on requirement two, you do not need new prints the next time since you just had activity on your firearms account if you apply for more ppp within 2 years of last activity.

Hello everyone. Been checking the forums for a while, but finally joined to add to this thread.

I just returned from the Plainfield PD trying to get a P2P and was told I also needed to get fingerprinted again. Actually they tell me I need to apply for my FPID again and get printed. I got my FPID in Plainfield in 2006 and have not changed addresses. I was also told I would need to do this everytime I want to buy a handgun if it has been more then a year. So if I buy guns all the time and keep an arsenal that is fine, but 2 handguns in 6 years is an issue? Complete BS.

I only wanted to pick up a cheap .22 pistol to save money at the range on ammo, and now it will cost me $80 just to get the paperwork and prints out of the way. Forgot who previously recommended getting a P2P every 6 months if you need it or not, but I think I will have to start doing that. It would be cheaper to do that for the next 20 years rather than go thorugh this whole process once.

Was given the standard FPID application, mental health record check, and an Applicant Flow Sheet asking for some basic info. Was also told I need to get 2 references again who cannot be relatives/LEOs.

Also the guy kept telling me the state requires this process if it's more than a year. I've read the laws, and know it doesn't state it anywhere, but that's what he kept saying.

Well, if you have your FPID, and it is the same address, and you told them this, then you were lied to. Plain and simple. You do NOT need to get an FPID EVER again as long as you live at the same address. Do NOT reapply for an FPID. You will be wasting your time and money. Apply for a P2P only.

I seriously hope either you misunderstood them, or they misunderstood you. If not, there is no excuse for them scamming you.

I also am a bit upset that many places are requiring people to get reprinted. If it was a simple as you getting it done right there at the station, for free, then whatever. But to have to deal with Sagem Morphos or whatever the heck they are called, and pay again for something that is NOT REQUIRED, is BS. The statute wouldn't have specifically said it isn't required to be redone, if they intended people to have to get reprinted all the time. Forcing people to do so can only be do add additional hassle for people to obtain firearms or do generate additional revenue. If I'm missing another reason please let me know.

When I moved to Somerset 3yrs ago I applied for a change of address just in time to get printed with ink and not have to deal with the sagem morpho BS. dmnj good luck with Plainfield. We have a member here that was given the run-around for a year by them before he finally saw his permits.

When I moved to Somerset 3yrs ago I applied for a change of address just in time to get printed with ink and not have to deal with the sagem morpho BS. dmnj good luck with Plainfield. We have a member here that was given the run-around for a year by them before he finally saw his permits.

Hopefully it won't be an issue to get my permits, just a useless pain. My wife just applied for her FPID and handgun permit earlier this year and we had both back within 6 weeks I'd say. Not sure if my government clearance will help speed the process along at all. It wasn't final when I got my FPID the first time.

Just wanted to add that I went to Dick's Sporting Goods yesterday and the guy working the counter said his town requires re-fingerprinting every 2 years. Forgot what town it was though, but it seems this is pretty widespread.

the guy working the counter said his town requires re-fingerprinting every 2 years. Forgot what town it was though, but it seems this is pretty widespread.

Because we all know fingerprints change drastically in such a short time for law abiding citizens.