bhunted

Trigger Time: Staging a Firearm in the Home

I don't get the channel that shows this show, but Jim and his wife Melissa from Shadow 6 Consulting are on my fb page. They are a great bunch that sponsor and star on this show at times.

This youtube segment, in light of some of the conversation recently here will give some of us old and new some tips and tricks.

This episode titled: Staging a Firearm in the Home, check out their new and old episodes too. I think you'll like them. Cheers!

Where is it when you are in bed?

I don’t stage any firearms in my home. I don’t want to play beat the bad guy to the gun. Home CARRY. The firearm is in the safe or in the holster.

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

IMHO staging makes sense. You can say "when you are at home, carry" which makes a lot of sense. But when I am home, I am rolling around with my boys, or walking to the neighbor's house. I'm a social person, and I know a lot of people in my neighborhood. So I don't want to have to stop at the edge of my property when my neighbor talks to me.

I started keeping a pistol in a small Secure-it safe in the kitchen about three years ago when there had been some daytime burglaries in Cherry Hill. My wife doesn't work and spends 90% of her time in the kitchen when I'm not home.

I painted the pistol safe appliance white so that it looks like a waffle iron or some sort of kitchen appliance. It would pass a cursory inspection from a burglar. The key is hidden so that only my wife and I know where it is. She keeps her (technically my) spending money in the little safe as well, so it forces her to practice opening it every few days.

While I would have no problem with carrying at home, I would be too afraid that I would forget that I have it on and leave the house with the gun on me. When I've carried in PA, I've gotten so comfortable that I've forgotten the gun was there. Don't want that to happen here.

What you are saying is mainly staging and they cover that. Had me worried there a minute. Thought you were wearing it to bed. Sheit... Wouldn't want to roll over on my holstered weapon. That would hurt! Hell, hurts now when I roll over on.... Well you know... Lmao... ;)

In my night stand holster. I have a holster by my shower as well.

IMHO staging makes sense. You can say "when you are at home, carry" which makes a lot of sense. But when I am home, I am rolling around with my boys, or walking to the neighbor's house. I'm a social person, and I know a lot of people in my neighborhood. So I don't want to have to stop at the edge of my property when my neighbor talks to me.

I started keeping a pistol in a small Secure-it safe in the kitchen about three years ago when there had been some daytime burglaries in Cherry Hill. My wife doesn't work and spends 90% of her time in the kitchen when I'm not home.

I painted the pistol safe appliance white so that it looks like a waffle iron or some sort of kitchen appliance. It would pass a cursory inspection from a burglar. The key is hidden so that only my wife and I know where it is. She keeps her (technically my) spending money in the little safe as well, so it forces her to practice opening it every few days.

While I would have no problem with carrying at home, I would be too afraid that I would forget that I have it on and leave the house with the gun on me. When I've carried in PA, I've gotten so comfortable that I've forgotten the gun was there. Don't want that to happen here.

How much do those Secure-It safes for the kitchen run?

Glock-19-courtesy-The-Truth-About-Guns.jpg

I know... Was referring to the other fellow. Watch the whole video through folks. Covers even the babies room. :)

It would be here...

post-2785-0-14357400-1341938459_thumb.jpg

First thing that comes to mind is the lil boy that freezes his toungue to the light pole.

Officer: Put that weapon down now!

HD Person: Sorry officer, it's frozen to my trigger finger and an't get it off! I think my hand has frostbite!

;)

Wife's fav flavor icream though...

Love those McCain crinkle cuts... :)

Is that a celeste pizza for one on the bottom right there? You sound like a supreme celeste type of guy lol

How much do those Secure-It safes for the kitchen run?

I couldn't find the Secure-It one (maybe they don't make them anymore), but the Nano Gun Vault is similar.

http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200-NanoVault-Style-Pistols/dp/B00384755S/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

So $25 bucks and then another $5 for shiny appliance paint from Home Depot to paint it white and make it look innocuous.

This one?

http://www.cabelas.com/shooting-accessories-secure-combination-handgun-security-box.shtml

I couldn't find the Secure-It one (maybe they don't make them anymore), but the Nano Gun Vault is similar.

http://www.amazon.com/GunVault-NV200-NanoVault-Style-Pistols/dp/B00384755S/ref=pd_cp_hi_1

So $25 bucks and then another $5 for shiny appliance paint from Home Depot to paint it white and make it look innocuous.

I don't like the idea of not being able to get my gun out of a safe in a hurry if needed, but I also don't like the idea of leaving it in a drawer in case my place is burglarized when I'm not home, so I screwed a paddle holster to the bottom of my night table. I can grab it in a second if needed, but you would have to turn my night table over to see it if you didn't know it was there. I feel like its the best of both worlds, at least until I have kids and then I will have to buck-up for one of those fancy single handgun safes for my bedroom. post-4742-134196729344_thumb.jpg

post-4742-134196733466_thumb.jpg

Hey, ask Janet Leigh if having a gun in the shower is a bad idea...

I assume you aren't referring to the actress [edit: MISSED THAT ONE BY A MILE] so I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Unless she was murdered in her shower, and 1 of several hundred thousand to meet that fate, why is she important? There are over 100 million households in the U.S. One person getting killed while in the shower is not a significant number. Also, who killed her, someone she knew like an abusive husband or stalker or was it random? If the former then she knew she was in danger so maybe having a gun on her would have been a good idea. Those of us not under threat probably have more chance of slipping in the shower and dying than needing that gun while bathing.

I think most would perceive taking a gun into the shower as a bit paranoid but maybe it's just a deep love for your guns, or you live in a combat zone where home invasions are a daily occurrence. Just my opinion.

I don't mean to sound like I'm being critical or anything, but wondering why anyone would want to have guns stashed all over the house or even carry full time in their house? Unless you live in the hood/area where there is very high crime, or have a legitimate reason to fear for your life (someone is threatening you, etc)... I don't understand it. Again, not trying to be critical or bash anyone who does this... as everyone has the right to do what they want to do in their home... but it sounds like highly paranoid behavior to me.

I don't mean to sound like I'm being critical or anything, but wondering why anyone would want to have guns stashed all over the house or even carry full time in their house?

Watched this video out of curiosity, and thought the same thing... unless you are LEO/secret service/military/"extremely experienced," this video (to me, IMAO) seems like really, really, really bad advice. Loaded shotgun behind the sofa? Handgun in your coffee table? This reeks of Hollywood, and sounds like a house that has never seen kids.

In a related note, I saw a John Woo flick starring Chow Yun-Fat where he was raiding this gang headquarters and did the same thing - dropping guns and guns and guns as he approached the restaurant where the mobsters were meeting, so as he was falling back, he kept picking up guns he had stashed on his approach. And come to think of it, Michael is also probably a big fan of staging guns behind water closets in Italian restaurants...

This was the Secure-it safe, painted white with appliance spray paint.

24x4950.jpg

It doesn't exactly scream "gun." It's just another white box in the cabinet. I suppose a thief could figure out what was in it if he had the time, but my guess is that the thief is going to enter the house, go straight upstairs to the bedroom to get Jewelry (or to the master bath for prescription drugs) or straight downstairs to an office to get the computer. They may look in the kitchen for a purse, but I doubt they will spend much time there.

I don't tend to tell people what the should and should not be doing inside their house. It's their business. I can't see myself stashing guns all over the place. #1. I have kids. #2. That's a lot of guns. But one gun in the kitchen works for us as a family. 90% of the time when my wife is at home, she is in the kitchen.

It's not any more paranoid than keeping a fire extinguisher in the room where you are most likely to have a fire.

It just so happens that i do keep one loaded firearm on every floor of my house. My bedside gun is upstairs. My off duty is on the main floor in case i need it for any reason. My basement is where all the guns are stored so there are a few loaded down there. My daughter just started walking so now everything will be going in a safe

I don't mean to sound like I'm being critical or anything, but wondering why anyone would want to have guns stashed all over the house or even carry full time in their house? Unless you live in the hood/area where there is very high crime, or have a legitimate reason to fear for your life (someone is threatening you, etc)... I don't understand it. Again, not trying to be critical or bash anyone who does this... as everyone has the right to do what they want to do in their home... but it sounds like highly paranoid behavior to me.

Do you know the day and time that you will be victimized? I would like to know that. No sense preparing for it now. :rolleyes: Just because one may live in a nice neighborhood, doesn't mean bad shiit doesn't happen. Please don't wear rose colored glasses. No one is safe.

This reminds me of those alarm system commercials. The burglar sets off the alarm and high tails it away. Or the one where the husband can't get back in the house because the wife set the alarm. What a crock of shiit.

Do you know the day and time that you will be victimized? I would like to know that. No sense preparing for it now. :rolleyes: Just because one may live in a nice neighborhood, doesn't mean bad shiit doesn't happen. Please don't wear rose colored glasses. No one is safe.

This reminds me of those alarm system commercials. The burglar sets off the alarm and high tails it away. Or the one where the husband can't get back in the house because the wife set the alarm. What a crock of shiit.

Paul,

I did say that I wasn't being critical or mocking anyone who chose to do this in their home. Everyone has the right do what they wish in their home. I have young children, so having guns stashed around the house or carrying is a big no-no... Even if I didn't have kids, I wouldn't see the need for it. If I ever do need a gun I can quickly get access to one from a secure location inside my house though. In my OPINION (and everyone is entitled to their own opinion) it is paranoid behavior to carry a gun in your home full-time or to have several guns stashed around your home, just on the very miniscule chance that you could become the victim of a crime. I don't think I'm looking at things with rose colored glasses... The vast majority of the population (at least here in the US) will go through their entire lives without ever being the victim of a violent crime. As I mentioned in my previous post, if you live in an area where crime is high or if you have a legitimate reason to fear for your life (someone has threatened to harm you or to come after you), then I can understand the reason for it.

Again, I'm not knocking anyone that chooses to feel like they have to be armed full-time while in their home... that is their perogative. But I'll always think of it as being somewhat paranoid behavior.

I consider my area to be a low crime area. Prior to having multiple firearms, I have had an alarm system and have also carried a firearm everywhere on my property, all the time. I do not consider myself to be paranoid, just prepared for the worse.