Sandy

I mean...where was he going like that?

So , there I was at the BH this afternoon . As an aside , good day there , no crowds , ROs were convivial , and the guy with the gray hair and glasses ( forgot his name ) helped me pick out a decent IWB for my new CZ compact and it was a good price ( their prices always seem decent to me).

Well , there was a guy there with a particularly loud AR , I mean to the point where my ears were feeling it even with the muffs on. Very cool gun .All fine and good , but his time is up about 20 minutes post my arrival , and he just kind walks out of his port and is heading out with his AR in his hand ( he made it to behind that long table ) . He was carrying it safely and all ..but...the RO was right on top of it and yells at him to get back in his port , that he has to case his gun in the port .The guy proceeds to tell him he has to let the gun cool down before he cases it.

Ok , I can understand that and if I had a gun that ran that hot I would probably shoot it in the middle of my range session and then shoot other stuff while it cooled down. If it was the only gun I had there I would build cool down time into my time slot , I suppose.

But he was like , leaving. Where was he going , out to his car with an AR in his hand ? lol IDK , maybe he was going to hang out at the back of the room until his gun cooled down?

If he is a member here and reading this post.-Dude , where were you going like that?!?!? :)

Maybe he was from somewhere or some range where walking around just anywhere with a rifle slung is okey dokey ?

Forgive me Sandy, but the entire concept of shooting a rifle indoors (at 23 yards yet) is completely foriegn to me, so giving a rifle a "cool-down" period somewhere other than a rented port "on-the-clock" is something that I've NEVER been exposed to in over 40+ years of shooting. So much for the standard rule to always case and uncase your firearms at your port. I'm guessing here, but since his rifle was too hot to case, he thought he'd just bring it inside the store for some A/C to help cool it down? I wonder if there was any kind of signage for this specific situation? Since I've never been there, you'll have to inform me.

Coming from completely "on the outside looking in", if there were a designated safe area to rack a rifle for several minutes and NOT be charged range time for the pleasure (like INSIDE a RO Booth for instance) it would be a big plus as far as making more lanes available to customers. Think of going to a Trap or Skeet Club and seeing dozens of shotguns on a wooden rack behind the actual firing line. Pumps, semi's, and O/U and SxS of every make, model and price range. As shooters come and go, everybody uncases and racks their guns BEHIND the active firing line. There is a certain amount of cursory examination by everyone there to make sure that all of the actions are always in the open position or the hinge action shotguns are broken open especially when carried to the firing line muzzle-up.

Perhaps this is what this gentleman had on his mind when going muzzle-up behind the firing line to let "his baby" cool-off?? I wasn't there, I've never seen the place, don't know the lay-out and I don't know what the posted rules are. I'm just trying to analyze the info presented and come-up with some kind of a scenario whereby this guy doesn't walk into the store sweeping everybody with his rifle. So this is all that comes to mind.

It does leave me scratching my head though.......

Dave

It is not the kind of range that has a "safe table" or anything. That is what I was thinking , perhaps his home range has a safe table or area where you can put your gun down. There is ample signage about only uncasing weapons in your port , and when you hand them the ticket they always give you a quick " no uncased weapons outside of your port , rifle and shotgun to center mass only " .

He seemed a nice courteous guy and was handling his weapon safely , were it a place that allowed you to walk around like that. The Bullet Hole is a 23 yard indoor place .

I do not know what kind of gun it was , but it looked nice. It was an AR type , and it was LOUD. I have heard loud guns there before , but I was 3 ports down from him and I could feel the percussion from his shots. I was stepping out of my port to reload some mags and he strolled past with his gun lol I was like "RO yelling in 3 , 2 , 1......."

Considering the blatancy of the ignored well posted rule , the ROs handed it well I thought.

Sandy,

It sounds like maybe he was used to having a Safe Table or a rifle rack. I can just see in my mind the RO going ballistic and you counting outloud, lol!

Having a shooting bench at an outdoor range that you pay only an annual membership fee to would have solved this entire "problem", as the rifle would have stayed on the bench until cool enough to case.

I used my nitro mag 887 at shore shot a few times before I joined at CJ and would shoot 3 1/2 magnum shells from time to time, I think the employees liked it but none of the shooters did lol. That gun would get real hot after about 20 rounds and the RO would let me lay it in my case open next to my port by the wall. The guy should have talked to RO before he started if he knew how his gun runs and that it gets hot and has to cool. That way if the RO was going to get crazy about it the shooter would know up front before he uncased and shot it.

As far as uncased rifles, by law the guy would be legally allowed to walk around with a rifle unloaded on his shoulder here in jersey. It being private property they have their own rules and he has to follow them or leave.Thats all they can do is just ask him to leave, how he wants to move his rifle at that moment is his choice as weird or scary as it my look.

People that go to an indoor 25yd (23yd) range with an AR or other high powered rifle really annoy me.

1. Not enough public outdoor ranges in Northern NJ.

2. Function Check.

3. Sighting in iron sights.

4. Someone new to the sport and just practicing.

5. Why not?

So , basically , if I wanted to walk to the BH from my house ( which I could do if I wanted to) I can sling my long gun on my shoulder unloaded and stroll there ( I know I would never make it without being stopped , but I am talking theory here) . However , if I throw it in my trunk or the back of my SUV it has to be in a fastened case . Trippy.

There was a guy here a few years ago who walked his shotgun from his parked car 3 blocks to his apartment. People called in , the schools were totally locked down. If I remember correctly , he was given some kind of summons or ticket or whatever..I could probably look it up.

Sandy,

Wrapped in a paper bag and tied securely (just like Oswald did with his Carcano) as if it was curtain rods or the like, lol! That's how old that law is! As to whether or not you'd make it more than a block or two without being surrounded by Cops in your area, I can only surmise, ala: 10,9,8,7,6,5, you get the idea, lol!

Back when I was in HS kids used to leave their shotguns in their cars in the school parking lot, so they could go hunting right after school. 35 years ago, lol!

People that go to an indoor 25yd (23yd) range with an AR or other high powered rifle really annoy me.

Other than range 14, where else CAN someone go?? there arent a whole lot of options for the general Public if they dont want, or HAVE the $4-500 +$250+/year for one of the places like OB, CJ, or CR, Ect.

I see nothing wrong going to an indoor range to site in a weapon. Also, indoor range acoustics will make an AR or a SOCOM sound like a howitzer - my wife double plugs and hates when we start shooting them - she doesn;t like the percussion or the loudness. Suffice to say I don;t think Ar's are particularly loud per se but shooting indoors makes it seem that way.

I see nothing wrong going to an indoor range to site in a weapon. Also, indoor range acoustics will make an AR or a SOCOM sound like a howitzer - my wife double plugs and hates when we start shooting them - she doesn;t like the percussion or the loudness. Suffice to say I don;t think Ar's are particularly loud per se but shooting indoors makes it seem that way.

Muzzle brakes amplify the noise as well.

However, I did have fun shooting my Mosin at BH :D

I get looks sometimes when I shoot my AR indoors but hey, I paid the fee like everyone else. Also, I do have plans to join Cherry Ridge, would have joined already if it were not for the 1st Sunday of month thing.

Other than range 14, where else CAN someone go?? there arent a whole lot of options for the general Public if they dont want, or HAVE the $4-500 +$250+/year for one of the places like OB, CJ, or CR, Ect.

I agree. In fact I would say that anyone who wants things a specific way to their liking should be the ones shopping and checking out private ranges. We do plan to join a range because my kids can be involved there. Plus , there is no place else besides private ranges where you can shoot outdoors in the fresh air , at least not around here.

I prefer outdoors and I like the idea of knowing most of the people around you, but the BH fulfills a need for a quick one hour practice session without a long ride , the ROs are on people who are not safe ( I'm sure the uncertainty of dealing with the public , some people you see once and then never again , ups the level of "attentiveness" you need to give even if it is not well received by some people lol ) and if you go at the right times the wait is not that bad. I can go for an hour , come home and relieve the sitter ( Pete) and then he can go for an hour.

When we get ARs , whenever that finally happens , I absolutely would practice there even though it is only 23 yards. Otherwise..we realistically can spend the chunk of a day at an outdoor range that we join ( figure 2 hours transit time if there is no traffic , 2 hours shooting ) MAYBE twice a month if we are lucky. So we would not get much opportunity to shoot our long guns at all if the BH wasn't willing to allow all types of NJ legal guns to use the ports. ( I shoot my Mini 14 and my shotgun there , Pete his Winchester lever action ..and eventually we plan to both have ARs)So , I'm kind of glad they do :)

USANA charges $120 a year. Outdoor range. I have had zero problems carrying a rifle around slung on my shoulder, loaded or unloaded. Same for holstered pistols.

Shooting a full power rifle on an indoor pistol range is silly, IMO. That's what the 100+ yard outdoor ranges are for.

Only rifle I'd ever bother to use on a pistol range would be my little .22 Winchester. Hell, I use it on the 100 yard range too!

3. Sighting in iron sights.

5. Why not?

Did you ever have anyone shoot an AR or 308 in the port right next to you? Even with the best ear protection, it damages your hearing.

25yd is a little close to sight in Irons on an AR. The preferred modern battlesight sight in distance is 50/200yd for irons and red dot. 5.56 crosses the same path at 50 and 200yds with 100yds being 2-3inches high.

I know some mentioned not enough or not affordable outdoor ranges, but come on, if you can afford an $1800 AR (dressed) you can afford a $200-$300 outdoor range.

Pipes, that's something they should think about before they buy the rifle. 25yds indoors with a 100yd minimum rifle doesn't sound like an exersize in skill to me...Sorry.

I function tested my AR at the BH, got some funny looks, but only put 40rd through her. Also wanted to adjust the wind age on my holo to zero. There are no outdoor ranges that interest me enough to invest in around here. And i did think about it before i bought the rife and said to myself, do i really care? no.

In all seriousness, if the guy had his FID on him, there is nothing to stop him from carrying it unloaded, it's just BH policy to keep it cased.

Did you ever have anyone shoot an AR or 308 in the port right next to you? Even with the best ear protection, it damages your hearing.

Yeah , today. I almost went outside again to put in my foam plugs under my ear covers. It was hurting the ear that was facing him , and he was maybe 2 or 3 ports down.So I'll give you that. It was the biggest thump I have ever heard out of anything there during a visit , in my limited experience..

I function tested my AR at the BH, got some funny looks, but only put 40rd through her. Also wanted to adjust the wind age on my holo to zero. There are no outdoor ranges that interest me enough to invest in around here. And i did think about it before i bought the rife and said to myself, do i really care? no.

In all seriousness, if the guy had his FID on him, there is nothing to stop him from carrying it unloaded, it's just BH policy to keep it cased.

I can see function checks. Ya gotta do what ya gotta do.... But not pure ammo wasting... :wild:

here is the link to the article from a few years ago. They did find out who he was and they did summons him for something , can't remember what it was.

http://www.northjers...med_gunman.html

The article quotes a police captain who states that a long gun "should" be cased when carrying it. While this is a good idea, and I would recommend doing so, it's not required for long guns under NJ law if you have an FID card. Guns do not need to be cased if they are in your trunk when transporting them, only if you have them in some other part of the vehicle. All firearms must be carried and transported unloaded in these circumstances.