siderman

.22 for wife???

Need some objective help here. I finally got my wife to agree to the fact that she should be able to operate/maintain at least one handgun and for various reasons(some funny ones) its gonna be the .22 revolver. And I'm the one to pick it out, doesnt want to go "gun shopping". Fine with me as I dont have one obviously and its not often I'm told to get a gun! Needs to be DA/SA and more than 6rds. Also thinking 6" too "clunky"

The contenders are as follows:

S&W 617-Oh yea! but$700+ for a 22?! And prob a bit heavy for her.

63&34-nice guns but the 63 4" shoots 6 and the 8 shot only has a 3' brl.- little pricey too.

317-again a short brl and made of aluminum?

Ruger sp101-perfect, gorgous gun, prs with my gp100 but hearing a lot about the terrible DA pull

and seeing a few members here having to send their new ones back for service.....

Taurus-the 94 gets a lot of bad feedback, 990 not so much but Taurus altogether it seems to be hit-

miss quality wise.

I know I'm going round&round on this but with my permit closing in maybe some bit of info will help me decide.And no, she doesnt want to go out trying whats available etc its all on me. The few range trips we have had is all she needs to know. I'll prob post a WTB soon to see if anything pops up. Thanx for letting me ramble : )

Look at the LCR in .2. It's DAO, instead of DA/SA but that adds to the simplicity. It has 8 rounds which is another box to check.

A .22 snub is the worst of both worlds for a self-defense gun and for a woman. But it is DAO, so she can't screw it up, it's light weight, and won't recoil. She will probably like it precisely for those reasons even though she probably won't be able to hit a darn thing outside of 15 feet. I have trouble shooting with snubbies and I shoot every week.

But it makes her (and you) happy and comfortable, it is better than not having a new gun at all.

I had to get a Ruger SP101 repaired, however, it was probably made on the very first day of production. Ruger took care of it lock, stock and barrel and it functions beautifully, now. However, I would avoid a revolver unless your wife tries it first. Rimfire revolvers have extremely heavy triggers and it is hard to cock the hammer. If she is comfortable with your GP100, she may not be with the .22LR. I do not like the Taurus 94 revolvers, but if you can find a 992 in 4" barrel, that would be nice. It would have the .22LR for practice and the .22WMR for defense, and if you had problems, Taurus does have a lifetime warranty. I am also very fond of the Ruger LCR in .22, although the price is a little steep. If one of those came out with a combo .22LR/.22WMR, I would have to get it. The grips may not be suitable, though.

I would really suggest something else other than a revolver. The first thing that comes to my mind is a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a 5 1/2" barrel, or a standard Ruger Mark III w/ a 4 3/4" barrel (if you want all-steel). On the Mark III, avoid the bull barrel as that would add more weight for your wife. The regular-barreled Standard is about 3/4 of a pound more than the Lite model 22/45. Yes, the 22/45 is aluminum, but Ruger will stand behind it and at 22 ounces, the weight will be right for your wife and/or kids.

As a defensive gun, though, I would not have a problem with a 3" barrel, and because of the design, a 3" barrel in a revolver is more like a 4" barrel, while a 3" barrel in a semi-automatic is, well a 3" barrel. I would seriously look at a Ruger SR-22 and let her try it, and also, if you can find a Bersa .22 that would also be very nice. The Ruger trigger could certainly be a little lighter, but the Bersa is nice. The Bersa's are reliable as long as you use quality heavier .22s w/ a little more kick (which you would want to do for defensive purposes anyway). Magazines are expensive and hard to get, though, but Bersa's may have a lifetime warranty (if I remember). Also, she could move up to say a Bersa .380 or 9, eventually, which would give her even more protective possibilities and she would have a practice gun.

You really cannot go wrong on any of the Rugers. A Buckmark would also be very nice. The single action triggers are much easier to manage than the pull of a revolver trigger.

The only two other thoughts that come to my mind would be a S&W M&P 22 or a GSG/SIG 1911-22.

After all of that rambling, I say get a Ruger Mark III w/ a 4 3/4" barrel of all-steel goodness.

Look at the LCR in .2. It's DAO, instead of DA/SA but that adds to the simplicity. It has 8 rounds which is another box to check.

A .22 snub is the worst of both worlds for a self-defense gun and for a woman. But it is DAO, so she can't screw it up, it's light weight, and won't recoil. She will probably like it precisely for those reasons even though she probably won't be able to hit a darn thing outside of 15 feet. I have trouble shooting with snubbies and I shoot every week.

But it makes her (and you) happy and comfortable, it is better than not having a new gun at all.

This would be nice, but I wish Ruger or aftermarket grips were available for it that would fit the full hand. Maybe the laser grips are longer, I don't know. I would have her hold it, as having that pinky dangling off may not be fun for shooting practice.

I had to get a Ruger SP101 repaired, however, it was probably made on the very first day of production. Ruger took care of it lock, stock and barrel and it functions beautifully, now. However, I would avoid a revolver unless your wife tries it first. Rimfire revolvers have extremely heavy triggers and it is hard to cock the hammer. If she is comfortable with your GP100, she may not be with the .22LR. I do not like the Taurus 94 revolvers, but if you can find a 992 in 4" barrel, that would be nice. It would have the .22LR for practice and the .22WMR for defense, and if you had problems, Taurus does have a lifetime warranty. I am also very fond of the Ruger LCR in .22, although the price is a little steep. If one of those came out with a combo .22LR/.22WMR, I would have to get it. The grips may not be suitable, though.

I would really suggest something else other than a revolver. The first thing that comes to my mind is a Ruger 22/45 Lite with a 5 1/2" barrel, or a standard Ruger Mark III w/ a 4 3/4" barrel (if you want all-steel). On the Mark III, avoid the bull barrel as that would add more weight for your wife. The regular-barreled Standard is about 3/4 of a pound more than the Lite model 22/45. Yes, the 22/45 is aluminum, but Ruger will stand behind it and at 22 ounces, the weight will be right for your wife and/or kids.

As a defensive gun, though, I would not have a problem with a 3" barrel, and because of the design, a 3" barrel in a revolver is more like a 4" barrel, while a 3" barrel in a semi-automatic is, well a 3" barrel. I would seriously look at a Ruger SR-22 and let her try it, and also, if you can find a Bersa .22 that would also be very nice. The Ruger trigger could certainly be a little lighter, but the Bersa is nice. The Bersa's are reliable as long as you use quality heavier .22s w/ a little more kick (which you would want to do for defensive purposes anyway). Magazines are expensive and hard to get, though, but Bersa's may have a lifetime warranty (if I remember). Also, she could move up to say a Bersa .380 or 9, eventually, which would give her even more protective possibilities and she would have a practice gun.

You really cannot go wrong on any of the Rugers. A Buckmark would also be very nice. The single action triggers are much easier to manage than the pull of a revolver trigger.

The only two other thoughts that come to my mind would be a S&W M&P 22 or a GSG/SIG 1911-22.

After all of that rambling, I say get a Ruger Mark III w/ a 4 3/4" barrel of all-steel goodness.

lot of good info thanx. No semi autos- too complicated with all the buttons, switches, moving the top part and loading the xtra mag peice(all her words) and forget cleaning. Revolver=simple. Better to learn one thing, trigger pull(she's no wimp) than all the previous. We did go over my 22/45 and like I said , just too much.

Why is a 3" brl no good? I have a 63 and its a great revolver. If you are close to north NJ you and wife can try mine if you want.

despite what i said not wanting the 6" I think the 4 over3" would be more"accurate" for her altho maybe thats not as critical as I think? BTW- I'm only 10-15 mins from you and also go to CR, you may here from me, thanx.

You know, I do want to toss out one more option: Do nothing.

For years, my wife never had a problem with me owning a gun, she just didn't want to shoot it, touch it, or get anywhere near it. I tried for a while, but backed off.

She finally shot my CX4 about... 4 years ago. Then I convinced her to shoot my Beretta 92FS since that is our second "home defense" gun.

She isn't interested in shooting my 1911, PX4, any shotguns or .22 rifles. She doesn't like it. She doesn't enjoy it, and feels fine knowing how to use the CX4 and 92FS.

Moral of the story? I had to back off. She will never enjoy shooting (although she is an excellent shot). If you are at the point where she is "letting you" buy a gun for her, then you are almost guaranteed that she will never shoot it.

The nightstands and vanity drawers of free America (ie: outside of NJ), are filled with .38 Ladysmiths and .32 ACP Beretta Tomcats that some well-intending husband "bought for" his wife because he thought she needed it. So she sighed and fired it once and threw it in her vanity.

I had a few hundred to spend once because my wife agreed that I could buy a new gun from money left over from putting in a new floor. I posted a question on this board about what I should get, stating that I was already pretty well covered for handguns. Do you know what someone suggested? "Don't buy a new gun that you don't need. Take your wife out to dinner."

He was right, damnit! And I did.

lot of good info thanx. No semi autos- too complicated with all the buttons, switches, moving the top part and loading the xtra mag peice(all her words) and forget cleaning. Revolver=simple. Better to learn one thing, trigger pull(she's no wimp) than all the previous. We did go over my 22/45 and like I said , just too much.

Cheaper alternative... Ruger SP101

More expensive alternative... S&W 317, 617 (go with the more versatile 317)

Budget goodness... 992

Used at an extremely good price... Taurus 94, 990, Charter Arms Pathfinder, and any of the above in used and good condition

Single Action Goodness... Ruger Single Six

McBethr had a great point. And besides, you don't want your wife too knowledgeable, or interested in your gun purchases. Do you? In fact I buy guns that look alike. If my wife doesn't see the two Glock's together, kind of thing, then she doesn't know what is afoot. Just as I don't question shoe purchases, even though my section of the closet gets smaller and smaller. I have picked up FID papers for her a couple of times and she has lost/misplaced them. Now it is her turn to take the initiative if she wants to.

How about sumthin as simple as a H&R top break 9-shot .22 revolver. Look on gunbroker and see if there are any out there. Light, cheap, made well, great pointer, 9 shots, fun to use. It will eat ANY ammo!

Works SA or DA, and accuraqte enough to shoot rats at a garbage dump!

And with all of the money you save, you can still take her out to dinner!

Sometimes you don't have to reinvent the wheel..........

McBethr had a great point. And besides, you don't want your wife too knowledgeable, or interested in your gun purchases.

As Patric F. McManus said in "Gunrunning" from his book "The Grasshopper Trap" once you get past your 4th gun, it becomes "What do you need all of those guns for?" *GUNS* as in collective. And if you always keep 3 empty spaces in your safe, she will never know as your collection rises from 4 to 60.

One last note from me... .22 revolvers are a pain to clean. I find cleaning larger bore center-fired revolvers much easier and even fun. I can't say I "enjoy" cleaning the Ruger Mark, but cleaning a semi-auto with one barrel such as a S&W M&P 22 or SR22 that is removable and not 6, 8, 9 cylinders, etc., is a much quicker and more fun activity than trying to clean a .22 and get that cleaning tool in there and in using those tiny cotton swabs. Maybe its me, but I don't enjoy it. I would rather clean a Glock that takes all of 4-5 minutes doing a stellar job and just a few patches.

It doesn't exist, but I want a S&W M&P Shield in .22LR with steel sights. That would be an awesome gun.

LOL- i agree with most of what you guys say, look-a-like guns, dont question the shoe(or pocketbook) indulgenses, and i am sure I'm getting the ole "yes dear, whatever..." routine because she's tired of me pushing the agenda. But if I can get her just to shoot it 2 times i know it will not be a mysterious chore and that will make me feel better. Who knows, she might enjoy it more & more over time. What I dont agree with is do nothing! I got a pass to get a gun I dont have(or need!) and dinners are a dime a dozen, unlike HGs.

mcbethr- I loved the"sigh, into the nightstand " bit!

Saw the thread title and thought you might be looking for a trade! ;)

Seriously though, saw the tip on cleaning the cylinder bores of a K-22 with a .25 brush.

Never thought of that, and I'll have to try it.

Getting tough after all these years to charge the cylinder

LOL- i agree with most of what you guys say, look-a-like guns, dont question the shoe(or pocketbook) indulgenses, and i am sure I'm getting the ole "yes dear, whatever..." routine because she's tired of me pushing the agenda. But if I can get her just to shoot it 2 times i know it will not be a mysterious chore and that will make me feel better. Who knows, she might enjoy it more & more over time. What I dont agree with is do nothing! I got a pass to get a gun I dont have(or need!) and dinners are a dime a dozen, unlike HGs.

mcbethr- I loved the"sigh, into the nightstand " bit!

Yeah, shoes, toys for kids, etc., they won't be around in 10 years. Unlike triggers and barrels and mags.

Saw the thread title and thought you might be looking for a trade! ;)

Seriously though, saw the tip on cleaning the cylinder bores of a K-22 with a .25 brush.

Never thought of that, and I'll have to try it.

Getting tough after all these years to charge the cylinder

You're welcome there Sir! And don't stop there: a .40 cal brush for a .38, and a .50 cal brush for a .44 Mag that's used lots of .44 Spl's. For my equipment, generally a 8x32 thread works well with my hand gun cleaning rods. And some of the best brushes are made for black powder pistols.....MSM Co. makes 'em good and cheap too, and they work fine with smokeless guns!

Dave

Don't worry about the trigger feel or accuracy. If your wife is letting you pick it out, she's not interested in trigger feel or accuracy. It's something to have nearby at night when you're not home. It will scare 98% of people away.

I'd get a 3" Ruger. Never shot the Ruger but shooting the S&W is like shooting a BB gun.