DargZ

Spikes Tactical 14.5" Lightweight 5.56/.223 DynaComp BAR-12 Upper Receiver

I shot mine this past weekend, at my friends place in the PA mountains, and put it through its paces. It shot great! The lightweight barrel is great and the rifle balances so nicely. My complete rifle with optics on it weighs in at 7.4 lbs (with an empty mag), so it feels really nice and light. I did some run and gun and hitting multiple targets at distances between 50 and 100 yards in quick succession was a piece of cake. I was really impressed with the way I was able to quickly transition from target to target with this upper. My previous upper was no slouch, but this one just feels a lot lighter and able to move more quickly.

Here are a couple of shots of me giving it its "baptism by fire"... LOL:

Looks good, Tony! But I have to direct you to this thread based off those pictures: http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/39403-shoes-for-the-range/

:onthequiet:

Looks good, Tony! But I have to direct you to this thread based off those pictures: http://njgunforums.c...-for-the-range/

:onthequiet:

LOL! Yeah, I hate shoes... I'm a sandals kind of guy in the summer. We were shooting in my friends back yard, when those pics were taken, which is all grass... His place is out in the middle of nowhere. I did change into sneakers when we did some run and gun shooting though. ;)

Any of you guys that just recently picked up the Spikes upper... got a quick question for you. Have you guys noticed any minor gas/carbon leakage from the low profile gas block on your uppers? I noticed some on mine (a little bit of carbon build up on the section of the BAR rail that is directly over the LP gas block and on the barrell adjacent to the gas block). It's nothing major, as the carbon cleans up easily and the rilfe cycles like a champ... so I'm not too worried. I'm thinking that this will go away after a few hundred rounds as carbon builds up in the gas tube and forms a tight seal where the gas tube meets the gas block. What do you guys think?

I havent fired mine yet, going on sunday. Ill let you know if i notice it after a range session. Not sure if only a once session will show any signs of it, but i have a drop in .22 conversion so if i use that at all im sure the .22 will produce enough to show.

You using the regular or heavy buffer. I think i need to do a little research to see which should be used....

I havent fired mine yet, going on sunday. Ill let you know if i notice it after a range session. Not sure if only a once session will show any signs of it, but i have a drop in .22 conversion so if i use that at all im sure the .22 will produce enough to show.

You using the regular or heavy buffer. I think i need to do a little research to see which should be used....

Thanks, let me know how you make out. The last time I used it, I had a regular carbine buffer in it... I have since swapped it out with the Spikes heavy buffer we got from AIM, but haven't had chance to take it to the range yet. From what I understand though, the Spikes buffer will work just fine with it (while shooting .223 or 5.56).

Any of you guys that just recently picked up the Spikes upper... got a quick question for you. Have you guys noticed any minor gas/carbon leakage from the low profile gas block on your uppers? I noticed some on mine (a little bit of carbon build up on the section of the BAR rail that is directly over the LP gas block and on the barrell adjacent to the gas block). It's nothing major, as the carbon cleans up easily and the rilfe cycles like a champ... so I'm not too worried. I'm thinking that this will go away after a few hundred rounds as carbon builds up in the gas tube and forms a tight seal where the gas tube meets the gas block. What do you guys think?

A small amount of gas leak is not uncommon. You'll get a small area that looks similar to break pad dust building up on a car. Kind of reddish brown. If you have streaky carbon build ups in fornt of or behind the gas block on the barrel you are leaking a lot of gas. If you are getting the reddish brown dust build up on the bottom of the block and not just the top, you have a moderate amount of leak.

If the gun runs, I wouldn't worry too much, although I would tyr to get it out and test it in cold weather this winter. It might not run then without all the gas it can get.

A small amount of gas leak is not uncommon. You'll get a small area that looks similar to break pad dust building up on a car. Kind of reddish brown. If you have streaky carbon build ups in fornt of or behind the gas block on the barrel you are leaking a lot of gas. If you are getting the reddish brown dust build up on the bottom of the block and not just the top, you have a moderate amount of leak.

If the gun runs, I wouldn't worry too much, although I would tyr to get it out and test it in cold weather this winter. It might not run then without all the gas it can get.

Thanks raz-0,

Yeah, it's just a little bit of the reddish brown stuff... I noticed a little bit of it on the rail too (the Spikes BAR rail has a lot of openings to maximize ventilation/cooling of the barrel and to cut down on weight, so it's easy for the dust to build up on teh outside of the rail)... but the rifle cycled flawlessly so I didn't get too worried. I did some searching around for info and found that some say that this is somewhat common with a brand new upper... and after about 500 to 600 rounds, it should stop or greatly diminish as the carbon that builds up in the area where the gas tube and gas block meet will create a good seal. I don't know if that's truly accurate or not, but it sounds plausible I guess.

Wayne, did you notice if you got any light carbon build up around the gas block or on the BAR rail directly around the gas block?

I looked while packing up at the range and didnt really notice anything there, at least in the light i had at the time. I didnt get a chance to clean anything last night so i never pulled the gun back out of the case. Ill take a look again tonight and report back.

How often do these come into stock?

Hard to really say. This is dependent on Spikes and how often they ship to Aim. The last time I saw these in stock was in April when I ordered mine. You can always go to the Aim Surplus site and click on Notify Me at the bottom of the page. You will get an email when it is back in stock. The emails come out around 5:30PM EST when it is in stock.

I do see a little around the block/on the rail. Not much but there def is some there...

OK, thanks for checking and letting me know. I had no issues at all with the rifle functioning, and sounds like you didn't either... so it's probably normal.