Sign in to follow this  
Malsua

08 Wrx undertray

The plastic undertray on my 08 WRX is trashed...

Curious if anyone has bought an aftermarket skid plate like a Primitive or one of the performance ones, like the GT spec?

Right now the broken plastic one is being held up with an old gun belt wrapped around the front spoiler as the back bolts are in, and the fronts are broken off. It looks like I hit a homeless man. ;)

I've installed the aluminum skid plates a couple times. Once those bad boys are on you have nothing to worry about. Makes changing your oil a bit of a pain, but just another 5 min of time. Customer always bought on their own so I couldn't recommend a specific brand. I've seen those plastic ones get destroyed extremely fast.

I know they have some aftermarket ones, but might be pricey. Check http://www.subaruforester.org/ . Many of the topics and aftermarket stuff apply across the Subie line. If you know anyone selling the OEM exhaust from a WRX, let me know. Easy install for my Forester which I have tweaked a little.

I've installed the aluminum skid plates a couple times. Once those bad boys are on you have nothing to worry about. Makes changing your oil a bit of a pain, but just another 5 min of time. Customer always bought on their own so I couldn't recommend a specific brand. I've seen those plastic ones get destroyed extremely fast.

There is a $400 Aluminum one from GT spec that has an access hole for the drain plug and a removable cover for the filter. I just don't want to spend 400 bucks. heh. The skid plate from Primitive is about $200 and I'm leaning towards that except that they are in Oregon. I'd prefer to buy something locally or even used but serviceable.

I guess walking a U-pick-it salvage yard is a lost art...

You are so right. As a kid, my father had a small side auto body / repair business and we used to hit junk yards all the time. Now, they are no where to be found. They leach too many fluids into the ground water / soil.

Try West Milford Salvage yard. They are like the only ones around that might have a used one available.

http://www.westmilfordauto.com/News_Archive/ARA_TORONTO.html

they have a part finder application....I forgot all about them and they are only a few miles from me.

You think I can find an aftermarket aluminum skid plate for a vehicle less than 5 years old in a salvage yard?

Even if I was looking for factory replacement, which I'm not, MOST of those are already trashed even if you can find the vehicle.

ANYTHING aluminum, and that big, wouldn't last more than a day in a yard. The best yard I've been to is Harry's U-pick-it in PA and you would never find anything aftermarket there. That stuff is just too valuable. Even most of the factory aluminum radiators get stripped and melted down.

You are so right. As a kid, my father had a small side auto body / repair business and we used to hit junk yards all the time. Now, they are no where to be found. They leach too many fluids into the ground water / soil.

Some of my fondest memories of being a kid was walking a junk yard with my dad. Especially when we had a specific project we were working on. Sometimes not looking for a specific part would lead to the most inspirational finds.

You think I can find an aftermarket aluminum skid plate for a vehicle less than 5 years old in a salvage yard?

Even if I was looking for factory replacement, which I'm not, MOST of those are already trashed even if you can find the vehicle.

Decaf dude, seriously.

Actually, yes, I think you could find one somewhere. People with performance cars do wreck them, and when the insurance company buys them, they don't usually allow the owner to strip off parts. Those parts end up in some scrap yard somewhere. That's not to say it would be easy, but it is possible.

15 years ago you could've strolled through a scrap yard and either found a factory replacement for $10 (there are a lot more Imprezas out there than WRXs, and I would imagine that silly plastic piece doesn't change between the trim levels) or maybe you might have gotten lucky and found an aftermarket one on a car that some poor schmuck wrapped around a pole. Either way, walking a junk yard has become a lost art.

15 years ago you could've strolled through a scrap yard and either found a factory replacement for $10 (there are a lot more Imprezas out there than WRXs, and I would imagine that silly plastic piece doesn't change between the trim levels) or maybe you might have gotten lucky and found an aftermarket one on a car that some poor schmuck wrapped around a pole. Either way, walking a junk yard has become a lost art.

1) it ain't 15 years ago

2) Malsua has probably walked as many junkyards as you have if not more

3) valuable stuff is stripped immediately today - you are quite unlikely to find anything today aftermarket and valuable unless you happen to see the vehicle the second it rolls into the yard.

4) I spent many a HS afternoon at the junkyard upgrading my base level econobox.

Not trying to hijack your thread but Red and Black in Jamesburg is still a walkin you pick yard. If you call them and ask for Tony he will tell you if the car you need parts from is out in the yard or not. He is the rain man of automotive recycling.

REd and Black

Lincoln ave Jamesburg

732-521-9856

Ken

1) it ain't 15 years ago

2) Malsua has probably walked as many junkyards as you have if not more

3) valuable stuff is stripped immediately today - you are quite unlikely to find anything today aftermarket and valuable unless you happen to see the vehicle the second it rolls into the yard.

4) I spent many a HS afternoon at the junkyard upgrading my base level econobox.

1) I know, that's why I said "It's a lost art"

2) Never said he didn't. Just musing that it's a thing of the past, like tail fins on cars.

3) OK...

4) Yeah, and our kids' generation won't know what that's like because "It's a lost art".

Kind of like Dan stated, it's a lost art for items like this for a reason. It's very VERY hard to find a car in a junk yard that isn't 15+ years old, at least the ones that I've walked. On the rare occasion that you DO find a newer car, you'll pay just as much for the part as you would online, as well as waste the time. Might as well just buy online.

1) I know, that's why I said "It's a lost art"

2) Never said he didn't. Just musing that it's a thing of the past, like tail fins on cars.

3) OK...

4) Yeah, and our kids' generation won't know what that's like because "It's a lost art".

Agreed! Though I may take my kids out to Harry's U Pull It just for the experience one day.

I spent many hours in Junk yards....there is one story that sticks out to me.

I was repairing a 1980 Subaru where the pedals were all loose due to worn bushings. This part was a pedal bracket assembly.

I called Subaru and they wanted $45. This was probably 1986 or so, and when you earn $3.35/hr it seemed expensive to me specially since I told the guy I could probably get it fixed for $50 as it's mostly labor.

If you've never removed one of these, it takes about an hour laying under the dash in a cramped space. You have to remove all the pedals, cables, wires, bolts, etc. A royal pita.

So I go to a local yard and tell the guy what I want. He tells me where some cars are and off I go.

After about an hour in a stinky moldy car that had leaves and wet inside, I get the bracket out.

I take it back to the counter, flop on on there. The guy says "What the hell is that?"

"Pedal Bracket Assembly"

His response with the typical junk yard, dead soul look in his eyes?

"50 bucks".

"WHAT!!!, I CAN GET IT NEW FROM SUBARU FOR $45!!"

"40, take it or leave it'

"Leave it" and I started walking out

"35, best I can do"

I replied "30, best I can do"

"Ok"

Jerk. I think I'm still pissed off about it!

I was hoping for like 10 bucks.

So I ended up buying an Aluminum skid plate from Primitive.

What had happened here was that I had had my oil changed at Warwick Car Wash in Warwick NY early in August.

The next trip to work as I was pulling in, I hear this loud racket and the tray was hanging down in the back. The yahoos at the place had not tightened the rear bolts.

When I took out the front one that was holding it, the bolt was sheared.

I took it back, they re-attached it and I went on Vacation. The next day back to work, the same thing happened, but in the front this time.

I took it back and Gary at Warwick Car Wash said it was trashed and they were going to get a new one. No big deal.

A week goes by "Oh I forgot". Ok, fair enough.

Another week goes by "Oh, those guys didn't deliver it"

Another week goes by "I'll stop by and get it"

Another week goes by "They didn't deliver it again, give me your number, I'll call you when I have it"

Well, obviously the guy has been jerking me around with no intention of fixing it. He was very nice about it just lying through his teeth.

I spent on average $500 a year with them, in oil changes, tires, light repairs, etc.

It's not that I can't change my oil, it's that I have a gravel driveway and I don't like laying out in the snow to change oil, but I guess I'm going to have to now.

If anyone can think of some kind way to repay this jerkoff, please make suggestions. Nothing illegal. HIghly annoying would be perfect.

Park nearby each morning with a sign warning people NOT to do business there while you enjoy a coffee and read the newspaper. He can't do much if you are parked in a public place. 30 minutes here and there will make an impact. Or on Saturday morning when they are real busy. Hand out coupons for a competitor.

Park nearby each morning with a sign warning people NOT to do business there while you enjoy a coffee and read the newspaper. He can't do much if you are parked in a public place. 30 minutes here and there will make an impact. Or on Saturday morning when they are real busy. Hand out coupons for a competitor.

Remind me not to piss you off. Very effective and entirely legal...

I spent many hours in Junk yards....there is one story that sticks out to me.

I was repairing a 1980 Subaru where the pedals were all loose due to worn bushings. This part was a pedal bracket assembly.

I called Subaru and they wanted $45. This was probably 1986 or so, and when you earn $3.35/hr it seemed expensive to me specially since I told the guy I could probably get it fixed for $50 as it's mostly labor.

If you've never removed one of these, it takes about an hour laying under the dash in a cramped space. You have to remove all the pedals, cables, wires, bolts, etc. A royal pita.

So I go to a local yard and tell the guy what I want. He tells me where some cars are and off I go.

After about an hour in a stinky moldy car that had leaves and wet inside, I get the bracket out.

I take it back to the counter, flop on on there. The guy says "What the hell is that?"

"Pedal Bracket Assembly"

His response with the typical junk yard, dead soul look in his eyes?

"50 bucks".

"WHAT!!!, I CAN GET IT NEW FROM SUBARU FOR $45!!"

"40, take it or leave it'

"Leave it" and I started walking out

"35, best I can do"

I replied "30, best I can do"

"Ok"

Jerk. I think I'm still pissed off about it!

I was hoping for like 10 bucks.

did that once went to a junkyard on my way to work for a blower motor, charged me 35 buck's and at the time i was working 2 jobs this was on my way to knight work at the machine shop, 35.00 bucks paid the man..

3 months later it died and i said screw it had napa deliver one to the shop..15.00 WTF... never went to a junkyard again..

I considered doing that actually. I'd paint a sheet of plywood with a nice message and stand it up next to my truck.

Then I thought about it...I'd be wasting my time and gas money. I'd rather just savage his reputation online or sign up for Angies list or the like and just tell the truth.