Sig226GuyNJ

What to expect from first Steel Match

Hey guys. I'm planning on shooting in my first steel match this coming Sunday. Don't want to go in blind so I figured I'd ask some questions.

1. From what I can tell, there are multiple "classes" available. I'm interested in Pistols with Iron Sites. But if I wanted to bring a .22 carbine, could I shoot in multiple "classes".

2. For pistols, would 5 mags be enough? (I guess this depends on how good or bad of a shot you are)

3. I've ordered a speedloader after using them over the weekend and seeing how easy they make loading. I'm hoping it gets here by Sun, but if it doesn't, will I have time to load 5 mags without a speedloader?

4. How long do the matches generally last?

5. How many people usually show up to these events?

Thanks in advance for your answers to the forum noob.

I shoot steel at CJ just about every month. I am not sure if I will make it this month or not. If this is your first time shooting I would go with one gun either one is fine. 5 mags is enough as you only shoot each stage 5 times and the best 4 times are your combined time, you can throw out your highest time. CJ's match usually runs until 3 but that depends on how many people show. I have been there when 40 people showed and been there when 80 showed. Speedloaders are for revolvers so not sure why you would or how you would load your mags with them. You have plenty of time to load mags between stages we usually shoot 6 stages. So you load your mags then shoot the stage then wait for the rest of your squad to shoot and in that time you load your mags. If you go tell them when you sign up you are new to steel and they will squad you with people who have shot many times. Just go do it you will be glad you did!!!

I shoot steel at CJ just about every month.

On a related note, my son was wondering if he could use his Henry Lever Action 22 rifle at the steel event.

It seems to me that he could, I mean, it's a 22, and given there are 5 plates per round it's unlikely he'll run out of ammo.

Have you seen anyone using a lever action rifle on steel before?

I shoot steel at CJ just about every month. I am not sure if I will make it this month or not. If this is your first time shooting I would go with one gun either one is fine. 5 mags is enough as you only shoot each stage 5 times and the best 4 times are your combined time, you can throw out your highest time. CJ's match usually runs until 3 but that depends on how many people show. I have been there when 40 people showed and been there when 80 showed. Speedloaders are for revolvers so not sure why you would or how you would load your mags with them. You have plenty of time to load mags between stages we usually shoot 6 stages. So you load your mags then shoot the stage then wait for the rest of your squad to shoot and in that time you load your mags. If you go tell them when you sign up you are new to steel and they will squad you with people who have shot many times. Just go do it you will be glad you did!!!

There are speedloaders for magazines as well. If you don't have one and you shoot alot of pistol, I highly recommend one.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/uplula-magazine-speedloader-universal_pistol.html

Thanks for your response. Looking forward to the match.

Hey guys. I'm planning on shooting in my first steel match this coming Sunday. Don't want to go in blind so I figured I'd ask some questions.

1. From what I can tell, there are multiple "classes" available. I'm interested in Pistols with Iron Sites. But if I wanted to bring a .22 carbine, could I shoot in multiple "classes".

Yes you can. Many people shoot two guns.

2. For pistols, would 5 mags be enough? (I guess this depends on how good or bad of a shot you are)

5 is perfect, you shoot each stage 5 times.

3. I've ordered a speedloader after using them over the weekend and seeing how easy they make loading. I'm hoping it gets here by Sun, but if it doesn't, will I have time to load 5 mags without a speedloader?

I guess you mean the Maglula mag loader? Best thing since sliced bread.

Plan on being there until at least 2:00 maybe as late as 4:00. Depends on how many people show up.

Varies month to month. I have seen as little as 20 and as many as 60

1. Yes, you can enter up to 2 classes per person.

2. yes, 5 mags is all you need. We fire 5 timed strings of fire of 5 plates per string per stage so with a fully loaded mag, you'll have plenty of ammo for that string. If you don't miss, 25 rounds per stage, 6 stages = 150 rounds total for the match (per gun). You WILL miss so bring more like 300 rounds per gun so you'll be prepared. :D

3. Have at least 3 mags per gun and a helper to reload for you. Someone on the squad will help you reload if you have no one designated though. if you have less than 3 mags, its not advisable as we end up waiting too long to reload.

4. matches generally go to 2-3:00 pm. Bring a lunch, PLENTY of water and sunscreen/hat.

5. plenty of people, they are a very popular match and the entry fee is very reasonable.

For shits and giggles, a few of us brought our lever guns out in lieu of our normal semi's and had an informal competition amongst ourselves. So yes, you can shoot a lever gun, but it will just be lumped in the rest of the "rimfire rifle" shooters.

For shits and giggles, a few of us brought our lever guns out in lieu of our normal semi's and had an informal competition amongst ourselves. So yes, you can shoot a lever gun, but it will just be lumped in the rest of the "rimfire rifle" shooters.

Is it practical?

The last thing we want to do is slow down the match.

Thing is, it's a new gun to him and he gets a boner (he's 15) if you just mention it, you know, so it would be a gas for him to be able to use it.

I guess I'll bring it and ask the MD or one of the RO's on Sunday.

Practical in the sense of being competitive? No. Is it fun? Hell yeah! You can certainly bring it out, it won't be a problem. Aside from our little game, i do see someone shooting one at the match once or twice a year. Just be certain he is proficient in loading it, reloading it, and clearing it out safely during the course of a stage. Guns are bagged and stored unloaded and only loaded under direct supervision of the range officer when its the shooters turn to shoot the stage. The RO will give commands and supervise him during the process, but don't expect the RO to know how to operate a levergun with any proficiency if there is any issue or confusion on the shooters end.

I'll be at the steel match this weekend for my first time also. From what John said I think the new shooters will be in the same group to cut down on the laughter. :-) I have an UpLula 22 speed loader you can use if we are in the same group or close. Works great on the mags for my Marlin 795. Helps prevent bending the feed lips on the cheap metal mags it uses. Also have the pistol one that works with 9mm and .40 if you were looking for one of those.

On a related note, my son was wondering if he could use his Henry Lever Action 22 rifle at the steel event.

It seems to me that he could, I mean, it's a 22, and given there are 5 plates per round it's unlikely he'll run out of ammo.

Have you seen anyone using a lever action rifle on steel before?

I have not seen that here but thee is not a division for it for World Class Steel locally, don't know if it may happen in other parts of the country.

Now with Steel your shooting 5 plates doing 5 runs back to back. Now reloading a LA might be a problem, I mean if you don't miss any shots you still would need to reload at least 1 time.

Now with that said, there is a match at OB later in the month that may consider it. I myself have thought about using my Marlin 39A and I have a few old arrow tubes I can use as speed loaders. So reloading wouldn't be an issue like hand loading. Might inquire one of these days about it with Leo R. who runs that match these days. I know it wouldn't be competitive against Semi's but sure would be fun.

Only problem I could see is if people didn't have a way to speed load them, it would slow down the match, so that may be the only stumbling block to seeing this happen.

Jon and Harry. We shot today at CJ and he did in fact use his lever gun. He was welcomed with it and the RO's and members of our squad couldn't have been nicer and more accomodating. Truth be told I think they all got a kick out of the kid shooting and old fashion lever gun. In sea of black plastic tacticool being shot by middle age pot bellies, here is this kid going old school with a lever gun. It was a hoot.

He shot well, didn't miss a single plate and had very respectible times. Reloads weren't an issue.

It was a great day!

My youngest is interested in the lever guns, I should have walked around and saw it. He tried one at the local shop, but even the youth model was a bit front heavy, he uses a MP15-22. I was quartermaster for the day, between my 2 sons and myself I reloaded 180 mags that day. I had them help put with the scoring and breakdown. Always a fun time!

I had an absolute blast on Sunday! Thanks to everyone for your insights as to what to expect. It was much more an easy going environment than I thought it would be. There were no A-holes in my group, which was nice. I can't wait for the next one. I am officially hooked!

Have to agree with this. Sunday was my first steel match at OBRPC also and it was a great day. Trying to see if I can make it back in 2 weeks for the next steel match. Everyone was helpful and patient and there were no issues in my group even though it was the first time shooting steel for about 1/2 of my group I'd say. I was in the group that started on stage 1, but I don't think anyone from here was in that group.