Sign in to follow this  
Ten9ofhearts

Mossberg 500 vs maverick 88

Thanks for the input...have you ever purchases firearms from dicks sporting goods? Or should I stick to the ranges? I should have mentioned I'm waiting on my fire I.d. Card. I just don't wanna sound like an idiot going to range and not knowing anything that's why I'm trying to do my research.

Sounds like your on a budget, buy wherever you feel your getting the best deal.

Check out the firearms price request here on the fourms and see what local vendors have to offer price wise, there is also a ton of websites that you can order from and have shipped to an FFL, or check out gunbroker.com for auction type purchasing.

Mossberg 500 Persuader or a 590 all the way. You'll thank me later. Seriously, if your life is depending on a shotgun why cheap out on a chinese knock-off? Don't

Afaik, the Maverick line isnt made in China. Its manufactured in TX. they're do cost cut that line, labor and materials, so I'd avoid it if my life depended on it.

There are tons of threads on these 2 guns, not on here but on other forums.

The main differences between the two is the location of the safety and where some parts are manufactured. The Maverick 88 has a cross bolt trigger-guard mounted safety while the 500 has a tang safety on top of the receiver. Everyone has their different preferences, personally I like the cross bolt safety. The Maverick 88 is assembled in TX, but some of the parts are manufactured in Mexico. The 88's also just have a factory bluing, while 500's you can get in parkerize or nickel plated or whatever, so there are more options. The 88's are a bit cheaper because some of the parts are manufactured cheaper in Mexico.

Personally, I'd go with either. They are both solid, great shotguns.

I have a Maverick 88 and it has functioned very well for the couple years I have had it. I estimate the shell count through it to be over 20,000 shells currently. I use it for shooting clays and practicing for HD at the range. It has shot anything and everything from small shot to large shot to buckshot to slugs. Everyone likes to talk crap about it but a good example was at the last NJGF Lehigh Valley Clays meet up which I enjoy talking about (haha). I smoked a lot of people using my $250 Mav 88 while they had their $2k Beretta shotguns and whatnot.

I had a Mossberg 500 in the past that I liked, but for some reason it got sold. The Maverick 88 stayed. Not sure if that is because of any specific reasons, I think for some reason I liked the 88 better.

Honestly, while you wait for your FID, put some more money aside and get a 590 :D

Haha but in all seriousness...if you just want something for HD that's gonna be taken out a couple times a month for some HD drills at the range, and sit under your bed the rest of the time, the 500 will do you well. The Persuader is nice, especially since it's 8+1 capacity.