NJKen

Remeington Versamax forend nut wont stay tight

Has anyone else experiences this? Remington said to put electrical tape on the threads.... That sounds like a bunch of crap to me. I didnt spend that kind of money for this.

For now I have resorted to tightening it with a pair of channel locks. Im not to crazy about that either. I have an 870 that has probably 10,000 rounds through it and I think maybe once or twice it came loose and it was probably not tightened up in the first place.

Its almost clay season for me and I need to get this resolved. If it happened to you how did you fix it?

Ken

It made me laugh too. Not in a good way either. The problem with the locktite is that it makes it a PITA to take it apart and clean it.

Im waiting for another brilliant idea from Remington. Ill post whatever response I get here.

Im really starting to think Remington = crap. A buddy of mine has a newer 870 that can get a jam from hell on any ammo. My brotherinlaw had a 770 in 30-06 that wasn't head-spaced rite. You needed a 2x4 to close the bolt.

Im really not impressed anymore. Any rifle I buy in the future will probably be a Browning.

Ken

That's a shame you are having issues with your Versamax. It's a premium priced product that shouldn't have the issues it's had since its introduction. I have read of the forend nut coming loose on a couple of other shotgun forums (Duckhuntingchat & ShotgunWorld) but nothing about a resolution. I hope you get this resolved.

Remington has struggled with their quality control for years and they haven't been the same company when it comes to quality since DuPont sold them in 1993. (Has Remington introduced any memorable firearms in the last two decades that have been runaway success stories?)

That's a shame you are having issues with your Versamax. It's a premium priced product that shouldn't have the issues it's had since its introduction. I have read of the forend nut coming loose on a couple of other shotgun forums (Duckhuntingchat & ShotgunWorld) but nothing about a resolution. I hope you get this resolved.

Remington has struggled with their quality control for years and they haven't been the same company when it comes to quality since DuPont sold them in 1993. (Has Remington introduced any memorable firearms in the last two decades that have been runaway success stories?)

Thats about the way I feel about it too.

The kick in the nuts is I chose it over a benelli for the simple reason of no adjustment needed to change from 2 3/4 to 3 to 3 1/2. You can load one of each and it cylces em fine. Now if it would just stay together....

No reply from Rem yet.

Ken

Wow, electrical tape? not even teflon tape? If you manage to wrap the threads with electrical tape and are still able to thread the nut on there is something seriously wrong... and IMO no thread lock in the world would fix that. You need a tight thread contact for thread lock to work.. Don't the 870's have a ball bearing channel lock?

Still waiting........ Getting really pissed. Missing much of my clay shooting season.

Ken

That's an awesome gun and an awesome company there. Tell them you want your full purchase price back at this point IMO. Maybe have some fun, call them up and ask who in the billing department you should send the lease fee for the firearm.

You should not have to do anything like electrical tape. I don't know that shotgun, but on the Rem 1100 there is a sort of lock washer that bulges out and applied pressure where the nut makes contact. Maybe something like that should be there and is missing. If I had to use the gun I would try purple (weak) Loctite or equivalent. But this can't be normal and Remington should fix it if you get to their customer service people.

Final update:

I got my shotgun back last week and hit the range today. After about 100 target loads there is a lot of busted clay and a tight foerend nut! WoooHooo!!!

I looks like they changed the tube, nut, and the forend stock. All good now.

Ken