zoid

CMMG 22 Conversion Problems

I had my heart set on a unit that was offered to me for sale (used). Good price and everything and I've

heard nothing but good things from ACTUAL OWNERS. I put that in caps cause it seems most people

who don't actually own it like to bash it on the internet in my brief research.

This particular unit had an extraction problem. The casing would get stuck vertically between the top part of

the bolt carrier that moves back and the feed ramp. It looked almost like it was ejecting it upward instead

of to the side. This happened across 5 different brands of ammo and three magazines. Two were new

15 rounder mags and one was a barely used 10 round mag. I do not think it was mag related.

My AR is a Spikes Tactical and is new. I don't see how any part of it could have interfered with the unit.

My guess is that it has to be a defective unit. But I'd like to see if anyone who has used the CMMG conversion

had similar issues.

I'm disappointed because when it was working it was very fun to shoot and the accuracy was fine for my

intents and purposes (steel/action). Was hoping for more range time with my AR.

Let me know your thoughts/experiences. Thanks.

P.S. For those of you who want to suggest forgoing the kit and getting a 15-22, 522, 10-22, don't worry

that's already on my list, but I'd still like to give this kit a shot if in fact this was just a bad conversion.

Yep happened to me. Does your AR have a notched hammer? If it does that is most likely the problem. The kit is for use with rounded hammers.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg833/scaled.php?server=833&filename=fullahammer.jpg&res=landing Rounded

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg843/scaled.php?server=843&filename=ar15notchedhammer.jpg&res=landing notched

I have one and it runs great. Have you checked the basics like the ejector and extractor? The ejector is part of the left frame rail so if it were bent, the bolt might bind but if it were deformed or damaged in some other way, that could effect the ejection angle. How does the extractor look? Does it hold a shell tight to the bolt face if you slow motion pull the bolt back? if this thing is bent or deformed, it could be letting the shell drop off before it hits the ejector which will affect the ejection angle.

Just want to make sure people understand that the hammer you linked there is an M16 hammer designed to engage the M16's auto sear. You do not want to get caught with one of those in your semi-auto gun!

This is an AR-15 rounded semi-auto hammer.

http://cmmginc.secure-mall.com/shop/images/Mil-Spec-AR-15-Hammer1486-2434.jpg

The notched SP1 style hammers are designed to catch on the firing pin with an unshrouded SP1 style bolt carrier, the intent being if someone removed the disconnector to make the gun slam fire (which is not too bright), the notch on the hammer would catch the firing pin and jam the action.

What you are experiencing is a common problem when using ANY of the drop-in Kits. Spend the $20 for the Charging Handle specifically designed for the kits from CMMG. What is happening is that the ejected case is catching in the milled out area of the charging handle. The polymer Handle from CMMG has that area filled in, and does not leave anyplace for the empties to catch.

here is the link to the part you need

http://www.cmmginc.com/product_p/22ba596.htm

subscribed for the future.

I took my AR out for the 1st time a few weeks ago. No issues with either 556/223 or .22 with the conversion, but some good info here none the less and may be useful in the future.

Now i want to go check which hammer i have. Mine was from a PSA LPK.

Thanks for the great info guys. I really do think it was the kit and/or my charging handle may be the issue

as these kits have seemed to work for everyone pretty reliably. I'll check the hammer when I'm home.

Lower parts was a Daniel Defense Kit if that helps.

I'd try the CMMG charging handle except I never bought the kit so I'd have to buy the handle and then hope it's

still available. I'd inspect the unit too for the ejector/extractor but the issue is I really wouldn't know what to

look for as I'm not to familiar with these kits.

Hopefully I can figure out a solution as I would really like to use it in my AR.

Well I tried the kit again today with the CMMG solid charging handle that is made specifically for 22 ARs and this kit.

Did not help the problem. Still could not get past a few shots before the same type of jamming occurred. I checked

the extractor/extraction and the ejector on the advice of JonF and from what I could see it was normal. This is not

the EVO kit and seems to be an older model and my guess is it's something to do with the kit. I've never heard this

type of complaint on these units ever. I'd still be willing to try the newer model as I heard if it doesn't work CMMG has

great service to either repair, replace, or refund the cost. Too bad I couldn't get it to work in the end.

Video of the problem:

Notice how that shell just falls right off the extractor at around 0:39? that's really poor extractor tension which is less than optimal and can lead to very erratic ejection. I prefer to have the extractor tension on my 22's to be such that the shell is held tight to the bolt face until it strikes the ejector. This ensures ejection is done by the ejector itself and is consistent and spent shells will flow steadily out of the gun in a line all day long. The extractor does not actually extract the shell during firing in a blowback 22, it essentially extracts itself due to pressure and the extractor more or less stabilizes this action until its ejected.

Oh I actually thought that extractor was doing a good job, but shows you how much I know. That's why I thought the video would help.

Thanks. I'll update if I end up getting a new kit and how it works.