Sign in to follow this  
cisurfer999

Can I transport friends gun to Florida?

What are the laws pertaining to transporting a pistol from NJ to another state registered to someone else? My buddy asked me to bring his compact to his new residence but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to transport it because its not in my name. I have a firearms ID and my own pistols. I know I'd have to put it in a checked in bag at the airport.

Thanks to NJ's carefully constructed and common sense gun safety laws, your friend is screwed. Not only can you not legally transport his pistol to the airport, I suspect just taking it to FedEX to ship touching it without him present at a range would be is an illegal transfer as well.

There is no scenario in which the OP can legally get the gun to his friend in Florida.

Well, there may be a 3rd option. FFL's and gunsmiths take possession of guns all of the time. Can an FFL or gunsmith make a housecall, pick up the gun, give it a good cleaning and forward it to your friend?

I agree that the OP cannot take posession of the firearms and transport them himself to Florida or the the UPS/FedEx location.

Where are the guns now.

If they are at his parent's house or some other place where the OP can obtain lawful access, there is no law against OP packing the firearms up and shipping his firearms to his friend via a common carrier using a the residential pickup service. Both UPS and FedEx offer residential pickup services. Residential pickup is much cheaper than an airline ticket and NJ is not going to get too excited about a box of firearms *leaving* the State.

Probably wouldn't know. Of course he can transport his friends firearms if he wants to. That he can, or that nobody would know, doesn't mean it is legal. I assume he was asking based on the legality of it, as it is fairly obvious he is capable of doing it...

I agree that the OP cannot take posession of the firearms and transport them himself to Florida or the the UPS/FedEx location.

Where are the guns now.

If they are at his parent's house or some other place where the OP can obtain lawful access, there is no law against OP packing the firearms up and shipping his firearms to his friend via a common carrier using a the residential pickup service. Both UPS and FedEx offer residential pickup services. Residential pickup is much cheaper than an airline ticket and NJ is not going to get too excited about a box of firearms *leaving* the State.

There are several problems with this. You can only ship a firearm you own to yourself, a FFL, or to a manufacturer. FEDEX or UPS won't let you ship to yourself to my experience. IIRC Federal law requires you to declare the firearm to the common carrier.

There are several problems with this. You can only ship a firearm you own to yourself, a FFL, or to a manufacturer. FEDEX or UPS won't let you ship to yourself to my experience. IIRC Federal law requires you to declare the firearm to the common carrier.

THIS