Sign in to follow this  
vladtepes

AR pistol

I think if you already have a lower you can take it to a FFL in PA who can just transfer it back to you as a pistol.

I'd consider building a SBR with a stub or telescopic stock. Adds only inches to the OAL but will be a lot more accurate and easier to use. You can apply to ATF if you're making it yourself and that does add $200 to the build cost. I've never been a fan of AR or AK pistols but enjoy whatever you build.

Let me clarify:

The OP asked about making a pistol from ANY lower. He did not ask about SBR, tax stamps, etc. Knowing the OP, I would think he would have been clearer on a few things. He must have been tired.

1. Is the lower already owned?

2. Was it built into a rifle already?

3. Was it purchased in NJ where it has to be a rifle or handgun per the NJSP?

One may build a AR pistol from any receiver per Federal Law. It does not have to be specifically marked as a pistol, as some manufacturers will lead you to believe.

The following is IMO if you are talking about YOU, a PA resident:

1) If you already own it:

.... A) and FIRST built it into a rifle, then NO, you can not build it into a pistol.

.... B) and purchased it before ATF made a ruling concerning "other" AND the dealer marked the 4473 as a long gun, then NO, you can not build it into a pistol.

2) If you are buying a new one, make sure the dealer transfers it as an "other" and marked his Bound Book as a "receiver" only.

A NJ purchaser needs to purchase ANY lower on a NJ Pistol Permit to make an AR pistol. One will not be able to keep the weight down enough to comply with the "substantially identical" BS for a handgun, therefore, he needs to acquire a carbon fiber type.

Once purchased as a receiver or pistol, it can be built into a pistol. It may be built into a rifle then back into a pistol at anytime in the future.

it is for me...

I know the law about tax stamps.. I plan to build a SBR 300 BLK at some point... I just was pricing the CHEAPEST AR pistol I can just keep loaded in the car... I have build up a few AR parts so it would just be a junk parts build.. nothing special..

thanks for the clarity..

I do NOT own the lower yet..