Sign in to follow this  
singh073

AOW Shorty Shotgun in New Jersey

Forgive me if this sounds stupid, but from what I have read certain AOW (ATF Form 4) weapons are allowed in New Jersey.

Is this true? If it is I was looking to get a AOW Shorty Shotgun.

According to the GunTrustLawyer website AOW Firearms are Legal but are limited.

Thanks,

Singh

there IS a section that allows for applications for a license to own/possess/carry(yeah right) either an assault weapon or machine gun. but really... is anyone ever going to get that? no. i couldn't find anything specific on AOWs but even if theres no specific licensing procedure state-wise you still need the chief LEO of your town to sign/approve you as part of the NFA procedure.

the bottom line, as i myself am learning, is that this state is a lost cause when it comes to 2A rights. get out while you can! lol

I thought cops could get them? I've met cops that own NFA personally in NJ (not silencers).

From what I recall, SBR and SBS are illegal to own personally and are banned outright in NJ - no (unachievable) process exists (unlike MG's) to obtain one in NJ.

I thought cops could get them? I've met cops that own NFA personally in NJ (not silencers).

Maybe they got it before the Requirement for the permit was written into 2C, I've never come across anyone with an MG card in or out of LE, and I;ve interacted with a LOT of guys over the years. The ONLY possibility I can think of are the Security guys at Salem, Oyster Creek, and Hope Creek Nuke plants, and even then I believe the NFA goodies are papered to DOE, not the Security Companies.

I can't put it into words any better than Jackie Chan did:

Ahhh, but by Statutorily allowing MG's they can SAY they dont have a total ban on NFA items..even though it is a Regulatory and Practical Ban, as it'd be easier to get a Carry permit for every non-LE member on this board, than an MG card.

The Machine Gun law dates back to 1927.

Chapter 95 Laws of 1927 Page 180-182 Machine Guns need to procure and possess a license to purchase. Apply at the Court of Common Pleas of the county where the applicant resides for a license to purchase have and possess a machine gun. Application shall be in writing and shall state the reasons for needing one. Application presented to the judge and to the sheriff, the judge at his discretion may issue a license. Exceptions for law enforcement..

http://lawlibrary.rutgers.edu/cgi-bin/diglib.cgi?collect=njleg&file=151&page=0181&zoom=90

Maybe they got it before the Requirement for the permit was written into 2C, I've never come across anyone with an MG card in or out of LE, and I;ve interacted with a LOT of guys over the years. The ONLY possibility I can think of are the Security guys at Salem, Oyster Creek, and Hope Creek Nuke plants, and even then I believe the NFA goodies are papered to DOE, not the Security Companies.

They are collectors in their 50s. One of them is a reenactor. Not FFLs from what I know. Both are friends of friends and one I am out of touch with. I can contact the other. I doubt he will come here to chime in bt I can ask him some questions.

Beyond that, I am surprised by your experience. Online I have run into several NJ cops online owning or buying MGs, unless they are all BSing me. The two I've met were not BSing.

Ahhh, but by Statutorily allowing MG's they can SAY they dont have a total ban on NFA items..even though it is a Regulatory and Practical Ban, as it'd be easier to get a Carry permit for every non-LE member on this board, than an MG card.

Yeah, I know. It's in the same category as carry permits. Technically, we have a law that provides for people to get them. Of course, that leads me to my absolute BIGGEST gripe among the pro-rights community. Whenever somebody says, "49 states trust their citizens to carry concealed weapons" it makes my blood boil. NJ (and MD, MA, NY, CA, and HI) do not belong lumped in with UT, FL, AZ, etc. when it comes to carry permits. :fuckyou: It's a damn travesty that people can say that with a straight face, and every single one of them lives in an actual free state. You'll never hear somebody from NJ say "49 states" when talking about right to carry.

Last time in Vegas, I went to the gun store and shot an M249 and a Full auto AR.. I was explaining to the guy how it is impossible to own one in NJ.. and he didn't really get it.. he was telling me the federal forms to fill out.. and im like.. no.. you cant get one even though on paper it says you can

They are collectors in their 50s. One of them is a reenactor. Not FFLs from what I know. Both are friends of friends and one I am out of touch with. I can contact the other. I doubt he will come here to chime in bt I can ask him some questions.

Beyond that, I am surprised by your experience. Online I have run into several NJ cops online owning or buying MGs, unless they are all BSing me. The two I've met were not BSing.

Or..they just dont understand the Law as it pertains to NFA...buying an MG papered to your department it's "Yours"..until you retire, then it stays with the agency. Sadly there are also guys who absolutely insist that you only need a Chief's letter to convert a Semi to FA.

Or..they just dont understand the Law as it pertains to NFA...buying an MG papered to your department it's "Yours"..until you retire, then it stays with the agency. Sadly there are also guys who absolutely insist that you only need a Chief's letter to convert a Semi to FA.

I think there was an exemption for LEOs to own NFA weapons under the 2A statutes.

^^^ this is true. I have also had ffls tell me the same thing.... and they would order the lower receiver for me if i could get a letter and a converted saiga 12 ... its not tru only exception we get is mag capacity for the weapons we carry. Now i have met a swat guy who have the gear with them all the time including there weapons... but they are tied to the dept..

I believe you are correct. I know a couple guys that work at Salem and Hope Creek. Next time I see them I'll get the skinny on it.

On a side note, getting a security position at Salem or Hope Creek is my dream job, just to play with NFA items in Jersey.

^^^ this is true. I have also had ffls tell me the same thing.... and they would order the lower receiver for me if i could get a letter and a converted saiga 12 ... its not tru only exception we get is mag capacity for the weapons we carry. Now i have met a swat guy who have the gear with them all the time including there weapons... but they are tied to the dept..

You as an LEO CAN have an "Assault Weapon" as listed in the Ban, you need to have an Authorization letter from your Chief, that would cover a collapsible Stock, Glash-hider, or any of the "Evil Features" however that firearm would be retained by the Agency, or would have to be sold to another Officer (With a Chief's letter), or out of state upon separation from the agency. That part is the same as it was under the 94 AWB.

I believe you are correct. I know a couple guys that work at Salem and Hope Creek. Next time I see them I'll get the skinny on it. On a side note, getting a security position at Salem or Hope Creek is my dream job, just to play with NFA items in Jersey.

The security Companies are contracted through DOE, the weapons are purchased Through DOE and possessed under their supices. That's been going on since the 1986 FOPA and the Hughes Ammdt went into effect.

You as an LEO CAN have an "Assault Weapon" as listed in the Ban, you need to have an Authorization letter from your Chief, that would cover a collapsible Stock, Glash-hider, or any of the "Evil Features" however that firearm would be retained by the Agency, or would have to be sold to another Officer (With a Chief's letter), or out of state upon separation from the agency. That part is the same as it was under the 94 AWB.

Heh i was informed otherwise. Good to know haha

Heh i was informed otherwise. Good to know haha

It's right in the statute...That said, VERY FEW Chiefs I am aware of, at least from Ocean County north (Southern NJ might be a little freer with this), will give out those letters because of Liability concerns, even though it is a commonplace thing in the rest of the country for Officers and Deputies to carry personally-owned Long Guns on Duty...which is why the provision was kept in the Federal AWB to begin with. One other issue is that a lot of guys are wary of carrying personal guns on company time because, again up north especially, once it is used in an LOD shooting, you may not EVER get it back.

A cop I know also posts pictures on Facebook of his speedometer at 130 MPH with cruise control on, and DUIs on a regular basis. Other cops just tell him to go home.

Like it or not, cops are above the law.

A cop I know also posts pictures on Facebook of his speedometer at 130 MPH with cruise control on, and DUIs on a regular basis. Other cops just tell him to go home.

Like it or not, cops are above the law.

Ok..Going by that Logic, I've seen thousands of Non-Cops that are absolute Scumbags...is it ok to then assume that ALL non-cops are such? Painting with that broad brush can get pretty splashy sport.

Yeah, I know. It's in the same category as carry permits. Technically, we have a law that provides for people to get them. Of course, that leads me to my absolute BIGGEST gripe among the pro-rights community. Whenever somebody says, "49 states trust their citizens to carry concealed weapons" it makes my blood boil. NJ (and MD, MA, NY, CA, and HI) do not belong lumped in with UT, FL, AZ, etc. when it comes to carry permits. fuk.gif It's a damn travesty that people can say that with a straight face, and every single one of them lives in an actual free state. You'll never hear somebody from NJ say "49 states" when talking about right to carry.

Possible issue

In some areas of CA and NY it is possible to get carry permits if one lives in certain counties. NY is really bad in the respect that it takes at least six months to a year to get a permit. One cannot even bring a handgun into the state without that pistol permit period. California is like NY in the respect that if you live in certain counties you can get a carry license/permit.

For Massachusetts , the 'Class A FID' for the carry permit is available in most areas except in Boston and its immediate suburbs. I guess Mass, CA and NY can be lumped in together that in certain counties of the state it is possible to get a carry permit. "Possible issue" might be the word for these three states.

NY requires a pistol permit before bringing ANY pistol into the state..period. Pistols must be listed on permit.

California has some kind of 'DROS' background and cost and supposedly requires registration of all pistols and soon all rifles.

Massachusetts requires a Class A FID for possession of pistols, but someone moving into the state has 60 days to get one.

Non Issue

Maryland, Hawaii and New Jersey are pretty much non issue period. There is no varying in 'some areas or counties' like CA, MA, NY. These states are across the board, 'justifiable need'. "Non Issue" is a better wording for these three states.

There is a court battle going on in Maryland to end the 'justifiable need' provision.

Historical Carry Info about Maryland

Interesting to note that unlicensed open carry in Maryland was allowed until 1972.

"Unlisc'd open carry was legal in MD until 1972" (Thread # 6)

http://forum.pafoa.o...carry-come.html

Illinois

There is some talk around the net about a proposal for carry in Illinois with Cook County excluded so Illinois can become a carry state. But I believe the majority consensus is for 'all the counties or nothing'. Illinois is really the only state that has no mechanism for a carry permit. There is a guard license of sorts that allows for carrying as an armed guard. There are exemptions for LEO, City Alderman in Chicago, other LEO like Railroad Police, some other Government Officials.

Alabama

Interestingly one state in the South is still "MAY ISSUE" and that is Alabama.

http://www.handgunla...tes/alabama.pdf

License to Carry Pistol in Vehicle or Concealed on Person - Issuance; Term; Form; Fee; Revocation.The sheriff of a county, upon the application of any person residing in that county, may issue a qualified or unlimited license to such person to carry a pistol in a vehicle or concealed on or about his person within this state for not more than one year