Sign in to follow this  
Purple Patrick

Gold finish for revolver?

Hey all so I am gaudy as hell and white and awesome so I was thinking about purchasing a taurus model 608 and considering getting it in a gold finish. Just looking around I've seen that people don't actually plate guns anymore and that it's a crap finish and now they dura coat or cerakote them with a gold finish. Can anyone recommend a place to do this in the nj/pa area? I'd prefer to be able to bring it myself instead of having an Ffl send it out.

Thanks all

The slowest and the lowest

I'm planning on it with my nickel 1911. Just haven't had the time yet. Maybe over the winter....

Just simple parts to start. Screws, safety, etc.

Has anyone used that caswell kit? Looks cool and easy to touch up

Sent from John's iPad 2 via Tapatalk HD

Typos courtesy Apple...

You could gold plate it. That would be cool. I gold plated stuff when I was a kid. But you would have to remove all the finish I think and the process doesn't just gold plate the surfaces you want, it gold plates everything. I'm sure there's a way around that but not my department. Also, the thickness of the plating is usually measure in molecules, so it wouldn't screw up anything dimensionally. Only something that required a specific surface property.

Not a fan of gold, especially on a revolver. Inlays look nice in gold, boarder line cheesy, but for a complete finish :bad: .

My next purchase is gonna be a 686, and i plan on nickle plating it.

How does this "do it yourself" plating come out? does it actually look plated metallic and smooth?

My next purchase is gonna be a 686, and i plan on nickle plating it.

Again with the nickel-plating. Why would you nickel-plate a stainless revolver?????? If you want that look on a 686, just polish the heck out of it, or find a 586 and nickel-plate that.

Again with the nickel-plating. Why would you nickel-plate a stainless revolver?????? If you want that look on a 686, just polish the heck out of it, or find a 586 and nickel-plate that.

haven't put a ton of thought into it, but i like the nickel color vs polished stainless. Almost like a deep chrome. Although a polished 686 might be the better choice in terms of durability, and i could do it myself. but wouldn't it be better to have stainless steel under the plating?

but wouldn't it be better to have stainless steel under the plating?

Why? The plating is supposed to protect the base metal. Once the surface plating has been breached it will flake and peel regardless of what is underneath. Not even sure how SS takes to plating. Nickel requires a copper coat first for the nickel to adhere to. If you really want nickel, get a 586 and plate it.

I monitor a lot of S&W sales and I see a lot of nickel revolvers come up for sale - don't know why. Back in the day, blued guns were far more popular and nickel guns were flashy beyond what most revolver folks wanted. Maybe the current geneartion has become acclimated to "silver" guns because of the use of SS. There are far better gun finishes than nickel. And gold?!?! Don't even get me started.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I'm personally a fan of blued and parkerized finish. And SS does require a particular prep over steel for the plating process. But for some reason i have always envisioned a nickel plated revolver, and i just so happen to really like the 686. having SS under the plating makes the plating purely cosmetic, if the plating is breached you don't have to worry about corrosion. i appreciate the insight though, more research material.