zoid

Does a laser make you faster?

For those of you who shoot competively regularly have you ever experimented with a laser

to see if you can shoot faster or if it makes you more accurate?

I was just wondering if anyone has ever run something like ElPres or a steel stage like smoke

n hope with a laser and noticed a difference. Or does the laser maybe slow you down?

pretty sure lasers are not allowed and its totally impractical anyways. Personally i do feel it will slow you down and you don't want to grow dependent on a laser for your shooting. Not trying to look down my sights and look for the laser.

I'm sure they're not legal. And good point on the sunlight. Just seeing if it offered a distinct advantage. I never tried but to me it seems more like a night time/dark setting aid to target acquisition.

I'm sure they're not legal. And good point on the sunlight. Just seeing if it offered a distinct advantage. I never tried but to me it seems more like a night time/dark setting aid to target acquisition.

Meh,....IMO your looking for a decent mounted flashlight

Might be legal in Open division, but why!?!?!!?

At most distances, you are far better off looking at sights instead of looking for a dot. Secondly, between shots, laser is going to go all over.

At close distances... you are pretty much point shooting anyway. Learn to call your shots.

But laser does look cool. lol. and would be helpful at night.... I do use an NLT SIRT gun for training though.

I've read some "research" in articles that suggest that for a practiced shooter, a laser is slower for shooting than using sights. However, that same laser can speed up an unpracticed shooter or someone that does not shoot often.

The stuff was focused mostly on self defense but would likely apply to competition too.

No competition... just experimentation... but my $0.01 on the matter:

I have a Viridian C5L laser/light combo for my HK45c. Played around with it for... well.. still playing around with it, I guess. (Had it for about a 8 months or so.) I don't keep it mounted anymore. Or... if it's mounted for nightstand duty... it's set to "flashlight" only.

The laser is fun at the range though. (Newer shooters seem to get a "wow... cool... lasers!" look on their face. But for new shooters I take to the range with me, I discourage it to focus on fundamentals.)

Surprisingly... I do find it a helpful tool while dry-firing (snap cap) for watching my trigger control. Using a snap cap, aim the laser at a something on the wall and watch that blip of light dance. It's amazing how much you move even when you think you're rock steady. (First time I did it I thought I had the shakes or something.) For me at least, that seemed to encourage better physical fitness: grip strengthening, arm/shoulder strength, etc. (Then again, I feel any shooting drills or training, regardless if you have a laser, tends to encourage those things.) Again... as an alternative you could get that LaserLyte boresight/target thing for "home training" too. There are alternatives.

TL;DR: Practical as a light, sure... but I might as well have just gotten a TLR-3 or something and saved some money. As a laser... it's not for me for more than just fun. I prefer regular sights.

Would love to check out your SIRT gun.. have always been curious about it, just turned off by the fact its modeled after a glock.

I will have them on the forum soon.

The Sirt gun is also avail in an M&P, but even the glock model.... while I do not shoot it, has a nicer grip over a regular glock.... but will improve shooting with any gun.

Feel free to try mine.

Lasers got their hype from TV and the Movies. Mostly, they are not allowed in competition. In fact, neither are red dots or similar. If others are shooting iron sights, that's what everyone has to shoot.

Now as for the laser(s)... I've experimented with lasers for years being the electronic techy nut that I am... There are different aspects and functionality on a weapon. One of the big things as some mentioned above is visibility.

Depending on the wavelength, color and wattage, they will not be visible in daylight. Red for instance is a no go in the light. Subdued light, maybe. Wattage limits are low by law and hinder intensity. In recent years you have started seeing green lasers. They have a different wavelength visible to the naked eye and can be visible in daylight. Not just the dot at times either. You can also see the beam.

At night, you can see the red laser dot on target. If there is a smokey or dusty environment in the dark, you'll also see the laser beam itself. The green laser in the dark is extremely visible..

IMHO, here are some downfalls of either or:

-Not everyone's hand is steady. A laser on a handgun for instance... A person with any slight movement while trying to lock onto a target, shows any movement, will cause the dot to move all over. This will not enable a dead on shot. You'll take a big chance trying to take out a foe if they are using a human shield if you depend on the laser rather than your sights.

Also, the further the distance, the more the dot will move under the same circumstances. Your hand being the vertex and the dot being further out, any movement will be multiplied greatly. If your hand trembled a little and you noticed little movement of the dot at close range, it will look like you are having an epileptic fit at longer ranges.

- Red vs Green, who is the target? You or the enemy? OK, so paper will not shoot back so no biggy. BUT, rifles for instance have flash suppressors on them for reasons. The opfor will try to find the shooter with their ears and sight. Looking for that muzzle flash. Now what do you think you give off with a laser? That lovely red or green dot doing the tarantella dance. Also, if the red beam is visible due to floating dust or smoke, or you are using a green laser, might as well plot a map to where you are.

So my final take on weapon lasers. Good for quick acquisition at close range. I have one on my H&K Compact USP 45 and on my M4... Both are combo light lasers and red... Never really planned on a laser for the M4 but got good deals on 2 Streamlights.... As for the 45... Use to be my carry... But since it was retired, it is now my HD weapon. At close range in your own home, on your on property, you have the 'home advantage'... the light and or laser, used with the momentary switch is a good asset. For my wife, which doesn't get to shoot hardly at all, it's a great tool. The laser is sighted for about 30 feet. Pretty much the longest distance inside our home and outside before you run into a fence or fall into the pool. ;-)

So for that, laser is good.

As for the range, someone mentioned you should concentrate on your sights and targets. Not a laser dot. The dot does draw away attention to what you are trying to accomplish and that's a bullseye. When you are shooting for protection, laying that dot on center mass is a no thinker. That's what I want my wife to realize if I'm not here to protect her. If she is afraid to shoot, blind the bastard with it if nothing else. ;-)

These are all just my takes after years of experiments on weapons and on the bench for other purposes. :keeporder:

A few quick thoughts on lasers in my experience.

A visible laser (red or green) is a waste of money for most people. If you want to get faster, take the money you would have spent on the laser and spend it on ammo to attend quality training. I wish someone would have told me that when I first started out...

A laser can make a decent backup to an optic if zeroed correctly. They have uses as a force multiplier in certain instances, can have limited use as a less lethal deterrent, and can be used to quickly mark targets for others to engage or suppress.

If you have more than one shooter with a laser, it becomes difficult to tell whose dot is whose.

A laser is an aiming device, not a light. It should not be used to ID a target or discriminate friend vs foe. In most instances, You will be much better off buying a white light to mount to your weapon than a laser.

Now, an IR laser is a necessity if you plan on conducting business in low light/no light with NODs - But that is a whole other ball of wax.

I wanted a Beretta 96FS Inox model, found one at a pawn shop down south via Gunbroker. It just happened to also have Crimson Laser Grips on it that work. I have used it at the indoor range for PPC, from 7 yards not too bad. As we move-back though, watching that dot jump around can make me sea-sick! It is cool, but that's about it. When you see just how un-steady you are at 25 yards you really want to turn it off.