RUTGERS95

Harry's Army Navy

Anyone ever shop there? I went there today as I was in the area and couldn't believe how high the prices were on just about everything. I literally walked around shaking my head my disbelief.

I then went into Cheyenne Outfitters and picked up some things I needed and almost left with a shotgun. regretting not getting it....

I used to love going to there old location. I bought a lot of flash lights camos combat boots and what not for paintball. Now with the internet shopping his cost arent remotely close. Cheyennes on the other hand is hit or miss. I found they normally have a few lefty guns in stock and there used gun rack has supplied me with a few toys. I got a bolt action 22 for 65 otd about a year and a half . My buddy bought it off me for a few bucks this summer and it still shoots good. They do carry some reloading supplies but i dont reload so i cant tell yah if the prices are good. They also carry holsters and other goodies at fairly reasonable prices. Bottom line i like them and i have had good and bad experiances with them. Customer service is hit or miss but the staff seems knowledgeable and when not slammed with customers will help you pick the gun for you . Plus the pretzel place next store is awesome haha

The army navy joint in seaside that a forum member owns is better priced. Nat as large of a selection but has had everything i have looked for since my jrotc days in hs.

Thanks for the shout out. We try to keep the pricing fair. It's tough to compete with internet prices but we do what we can. If anyone ever happens to see something in there that they think is overpriced ask one of the girls to call Blake and see if there is any room for a discount, especially if its something surplus. We will always try to work with you guys.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the shout out. We try to keep the pricing fair. It's tough to compete with internet prices but we do what we can. If anyone ever happens to see something in there that they think is overpriced ask one of the girls to call Blake and see if there is any room for a discount, especially if its something surplus. We will always try to work with you guys.

Off topic did you get to check out your place yet?? Damage/looting assessment yet?? I hope to see you back up soon

Off topic did you get to check out your place yet?? Damage/looting assessment yet?? I hope to see you back up soon

Negative. We have had ppl tell us the building is fine, no idea about the inventory. The looting turned out to be the police breaking into the store to take supplies that they claim they needed. They told us they made a list of what they took and will pay us for it. We will see if that happens or not.

All accounts are pointing to it being 6 months or more before the island is in good enough shape to let ppl back on for good. We should be able to get in by the end of the week to inspect the store though.

They were awesome during the 80s. You could still get ammo and decent equipment and tools through the end of the 90s, but their surplus started lacking like everyone's has. They were basically like a smaller, shittier version of Cabellas at that point. Lots of interesting stuff to buy and some of it useful. They were the people that told me I couldn't buy two bricks of 550 rounds of .22 because there was an NJ limit of 1000 rounds per household. Which I asked about during one of my first posts here on this forum. But I have since learned that store employees sometimes say things that aren't true even when it comes to guns and ammo LOL ;)

Negative. We have had ppl tell us the building is fine, no idea about the inventory. The looting turned out to be the police breaking into the store to take supplies that they claim they needed. They told us they made a list of what they took and will pay us for it. We will see if that happens or not.

All accounts are pointing to it being 6 months or more before the island is in good enough shape to let ppl back on for good. We should be able to get in by the end of the week to inspect the store though.

Wow thats really tough to hear. Please let us know when you are back up and running. You can count on my business.

Harry was a truly great guy, and I bought a bunch of stuff off of him as much because of his customer first business practices, as the quality and character of the man. Then Harry retired, and his son Rick took over. The two men couldn't be more different. Rick was in a word, a douche, and a cocky, insulting, condescending one at that. He was interested in exactly one thing...money. Good for him, but the quality of the store and it's products and pricing changed significantly; quality items went down or disappeared all together, and the prices went way up. You had to search a lot harder to find a good value there, in all of the merchandise.

He sold the store and it split, with Cheyenne taking over the sporting goods and firearms, and the original storefront keeping the militaria, and junk for the most part...Cheyenne has the occasional deals, but like most, I look at thier used guns as the best chance of finding a deal. Suggested retail plus isn't really my idea of a good deal on new firearms.

Hit or miss at either place. The sales at both stores give you good prices, but other than that, they aren't worth the drive for me and I'm just in Ewing, not that far.

Picked up the M&P 15 Sport when they were on sale, that was a good deal. OTOH, non-sale prices can be beat at numerous online and forum member owned stores.

Separately, if you're looking for 5.11, Carhartt, North Face, Patagonia, Woolrich, etc- holy cow! Go to the Flemington Department Store! At least to look and try on, they have a huge selection!

I used to love going to there old location. I bought a lot of flash lights camos combat boots and what not for paintball. Now with the internet shopping his cost arent remotely close. Cheyennes on the other hand is hit or miss. I found they normally have a few lefty guns in stock and there used gun rack has supplied me with a few toys. I got a bolt action 22 for 65 otd about a year and a half . My buddy bought it off me for a few bucks this summer and it still shoots good. They do carry some reloading supplies but i dont reload so i cant tell yah if the prices are good. They also carry holsters and other goodies at fairly reasonable prices. Bottom line i like them and i have had good and bad experiances with them. Customer service is hit or miss but the staff seems knowledgeable and when not slammed with customers will help you pick the gun for you . Plus the pretzel place next store is awesome haha

LOL -- I usually meet up in the overflow parking lot behind Harry's when I'm taking someone to CJRP&C. Usually a stop into Cheyenne, then the pretzel store precedes the trip to the club.

I'm heading over to visit, never been, but when you're up and running let us know. I always loved those places. It's like buying and collecting tools at Sears. Giant toy store for men. I still think I have a few can openers, p9 ?, that I didn't need, but how the heck can I get by without one. WW II gas mask, go figure. An old army duster that could house a small family.

I'm heading over to visit, never been, but when you're up and running let us know. I always loved those places. It's like buying and collecting tools at Sears. Giant toy store for men. I still think I have a few can openers, p9 ?, that I didn't need, but how the heck can I get by without one. WW II gas mask, go figure. An old army duster that could house a small family.

p38 is the old can opener haha, or the p51 is the slightly bigger model. its funny how technology always advances but some simple things will never be improved upon. we have thousands of items in the store packed into our little 1400 sq ft sales floor, many of them cool little things like the can openers.

it's sad to think that most of our stuff went under water during the storm; it's going to be hard to re-purchase the stuff in bulk, bc we did it at prices 5-15 yrs ago.

we haven't seen the store in person yet, so there is still hope that we can save alot of our stuff.

I'm done hijacking this thread, as I agree with specopsscout that Harry was a great guy, and we still try to support any Army Navy store anywhere bc it's a tough business and we have to try and support one another.

Just bought a mil-surp 50 cal ammo can.. $22 and then tax.. for the little cans.. $13 + tax..

Back in 92 when I got my 1st PP I bought a Makarov in 380 for $199 (with 12 round mag).. now the pricing seems HIGHER or AT full retail..