TheClerk

Listing self-employed on PPP application

I've been waiting several months now for me to get new PPPs from Jersey City. My employer was sent a letter to verify my employment which they did get, however my boss doesn't want to return the letter as he would like have me on for sometime before he sends the letter back out.

With my application hanging in limbo, would there be any complication with reapplying and listing myself as self-employed?

Your boss sucks.

Sorry I can't help with an answer, I've never tried to "re-do" a PPP. I can tell you that getting one listing yourself as self-employed is not an issue. I am, and I have. Just a month ago.

i suppose I could just give licensing a call and ask of something can be worked out. I had a similar problem with my last job when applying for my FPID card was that they "never got" the application. Which I actually found laying around in my boss's office collecting dust who I had to take to someone else in the management to fill out.

If anything I thinks the whole needing to send a letter to verify employment is a load of bull when a simple phone call to the HR department or Manager of a company could work. Also, I don't think its anyone's business that I am an owner of firearms to begin with.

I've been waiting several months now for me to get new PPPs from Jersey City. My employer was sent a letter to verify my employment which they did get, however my boss doesn't want to return the letter as he would like have me on for sometime before he sends the letter back out.

With my application hanging in limbo, would there be any complication with reapplying and listing myself as self-employed?

I'm not quite sure I understand. Are you sub-contractor or a contract employee - in either case you would be considered self employed and he is your client for whom you are performing work. It would seem if that's the case, you have the leverage - just tell him you'll quit unless he sends the letter back.

If you are an employee and he is extorting your continued service by withholding his response, that would indeed be extortion as he is blocking you from your constitutional right to purchase a firearm. By extension, the local PD is aiding and abetting your employer by sending such a letter. By the NJSP guidelines all they are supposed to do is verify employment - which as you aptly surmised is done simply with a phone call. Even if they wish to use a letter format, there should be no mention of the reason (firearms), which is what empowers this extortion.

I think you have grounds for a civil suit against the employer - maybe even one the ACLU would be interested in as he is, defacto, denying you your right to purchase a firearm. Another route to go may be a visit to the county prosecutor and filing a complaint against either your local PD or the employer, or both. I would bet that a letter on county letterhead to your employer, would solve the problem pretty quickly.

Your last alternative is to come on here and whine about it and say, "Oh woe is me." I think you have multiple ways to approach this, but can't tell you if any of the above are viable (except the last one) without knowing more details. Good luck.

IANAL

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Just call the detective an explain that your employer refuses to confirm employment. Contrary to popular belief, employers are not legally required to do so.

My company flat-out refused to return any form that had the word "firearm" on it. I explained it to the detective, and he noted it in the file. Had my permits a couple days later. Turns out this is not exactly a unique problem in NJ.

If you are denied for this, contact the state police.

My company is really big and there's no place to send an employment verification. We do have a 3rd party service to do employment verification but they want a $15-$30 for a verification account. Employees are able to audit this verification so I went in and did some screenshots and brought that with me, along with the statements from our internal website saying they don't do employment verifications. That along with a business card was good enough.

Thank you very much for the info, If I can't get my boss to forward the letter back then. From what I recall of actually seeing the employee verification letter, it blatantly says firearms department on it and it contains a questionnaire. I see if they can just get the letter sent back.

Correct me if I am wrong, but they are only supposed to verify employment, not send out 20 questions to your boss as to why you should have a gun.

100% correct. This goes way beyond the scope of the application and as such is a violation of the statute. Employer information is for employment verification only, and is not to be treated as a reference. The NJAC quite clearly spells out the privacy considerations and your employer has no right to know that you are desirous of purchasing a firearm, let alone have a voice in your suitability.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Ah, Jersey City. lol.Correct me if I am wrong, but they are only supposed to verify employment, not send out 20 questions to your boss as to why you should have a gun.
Bayonne does the same 20 questionnaire. I get all the mail at my job and distribute them, once I see my permission letter, I hand it to my boss and say "here's another one" with a smileSent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

Bayonne does the same 20 questionnaire. I get all the mail at my job and distribute them, once I see my permission letter, I hand it to my boss and say "here's another one" with a smileSent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2
my job in Bayonne told me not to send in a lit of ppp requests or they will be turned down.

Bayonne=Out of control re: PPP process.

Tired of beating this dead horse. If I had the scratch I'd be suing their asses.

The questionnaire to my job doesn't bother me too much, maybe is because my boss doesn't care. But I do agree with most people on why is it necessary for employment verification. Feels like I'm submitting loan application :lol:

Sent from my LT28at using Tapatalk 2

Just as in the case of the "two neighbor references" they request (in addition to the two required by law), the form sent to verify your employment is NOT required and serves only as an additional obstacle in the process, and as an violation of your privacy.

Just as in the case of the "two neighbor references" they request (in addition to the two required by law), the form sent to verify your employment is NOT required and serves only as an additional obstacle in the process, and as an violation of your privacy.

Scott - I think it's interesting that I've been able to bypass this bit *knock on wood* as much as I have been able to. As mentioned, employer doesn't respond to mail or verifications, and there haven't been any indications about neighbor checks. Just some issues with the NJSP and fingerprints.

James: A few months ago, both the NJ2AS and I had a fairly-protracted battle with the BPD over the excessive and illegal requirements that they put in an applicant's way. Just when things looked like they would be straightened out, a new chief took over in Bayonne. It's possible you applied while Chief Kubert was still in charge.

Anyway, I'm actively working on moving westward, so hopefully I'll never have to deal with their BS again.

Scott