amagi

Remington 870 Purchase / NJ Legal Definition (Mag Capacity)

Hey guys,

I live in Philadelphia, but I am eventually going to move back to NJ (my ancestral homeland). I am going to purchase a Remington 870. It's a pump action...with a 6+1 Tube Magazine capacity. Does the magazine capacity restriction for the "Assault Weapons" law apply to only "Semi Automatic" shotguns like a Mossberg 970, or does the firing mechanism mean nothing?

Also, I realize your average Police Officer is woefully ignorant of the law (and the concept of constitutional rights) so do you think I'd just be arrested anyway, even if it was legal?

Thanks,

Tom

i wouldnt worry about it if it's legal, don't oppress yourself because of what might happen. people have been arrested in this state for legal things, it happens, and if your in the right you really don't have to worry about it. You may be arrested for something legal, this is NJ, but it will never go to trial if its clear cut, like this instance.

Also, I realize your average Police Officer is woefully ignorant of the law (and the concept of constitutional rights) so do you think I'd just be arrested anyway, even if it was legal?

Thanks,

Tom

Wow..after that post you have the stones to claim police are ignorant. Strong ignorant generalization. Stay in pennsy...we have enough like you here.

While technically the SKY is not the limit, i believe a pump shotgun's capacity would fall under the overall 15 round limit we have in NJ, no? -- REGARDLESS, yeah man, on an 870 you can have an adjustable stock, pistol grip, mag extension, muzzle device, and evil shiny black color just for good measure.

I just decked out my new 870 and im in the process of having it sent out to be "870-Police'd " customized.... I love it. My M930SPX is my BABY, but my new 870 is my newest best friend.

While technically the SKY is not the limit, i believe a pump shotgun's capacity would fall under the overall 15 round limit we have in NJ, no?

No. Mag limits only apply to S/A firearms

While technically the SKY is not the limit, i believe a pump shotgun's capacity would fall under the overall 15 round limit we have in NJ, no? -- REGARDLESS, yeah man, on an 870 you can have an adjustable stock, pistol grip, mag extension, muzzle device, and evil shiny black color just for good measure.

I just decked out my new 870 and im in the process of having it sent out to be "870-Police'd " customized.... I love it. My M930SPX is my BABY, but my new 870 is my newest best friend.

the 15 round limit is for a magazine that will feed a semiautomatic firearm.. as long as it is a proprietary mag that would ONLY fit say a Remington 870 then at least from my reading of the statute and Admin Code then it'd be Ok..of course if anyone anywhere made an adaptor that would make that fit an 1100/1187 or other Semin, then BAM Instant AW

Amagi, If you are worried about police unfamiliarity with the regulations, carry a copy of the pertinent NJ laws in your gun case. That way you can point and say "see, the capacity rule only applies to semi-autos"

BLF, I have had several conversations with police officers about firearms. While they all had a good feel for the generalities of the laws, the ONLY ones who knew the minutiae of the law the way folks on this site do worked in the State Police Firearms division. Frankly, considering the ever increasing volume of rules and regs pushed on us by politicians, I think it is unrealistic(and unfair) to expect a police officer would know all the details of any section of the law unless it was their specialty.

BLF, I have had several conversations with police officers about firearms. While they all had a good feel for the generalities of the laws, the ONLY ones who knew the minutiae of the law the way folks on this site do worked in the State Police Firearms division. Frankly, considering the ever increasing volume of rules and regs pushed on us by politicians, I think it is unrealistic(and unfair) to expect a police officer would know all the details of any section of the law unless it was their specialty.

That's the troubling thing- apparently even the firearms division guys don't always know their stuff. My local FFL didn't want to sell me a Mini-30 because "a state trooper friend of mine, who works in the firearms division said 'flash hiders are illegal'". As in, illegal PERIOD. NO flash hiders of any kind, ever. Which is NOT what the law says.

I found another local FFL to transfer the Mini-30 to me, sans 20-round magazine, no problem.

You'd be surprised as to what cops think is illegal. Well said Mr. Lunker.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I'll probably end up moving back to NJ eventually. All depends on work. I didn't want to dump $$$ on a gun that I would have to sell or modify just to make sure it is legal!

Wow..after that post you have the stones to claim police are ignorant. Strong ignorant generalization. Stay in pennsy...we have enough like you here.

I can only hope you were trying to be ironic. If so, well done. If not...

Calling someone ignorant isn't necessarily an insult. It is just the lack of knowing. We are all ignorant of things. Stupid is another thing. Your blind defense isn't surprising however.

I can only hope you were trying to be ironic. If so, well done. If not...

Calling someone ignorant isn't necessarily an insult. It is just the lack of knowing. We are all ignorant of things. Stupid is another thing. Your blind defense isn't surprising however.

no more surprising than your condemnation of him...