deni

right handed but left eye dominant

For handguns, I just put my right ear on my right shoulder, and that helps to line everything up.

Most people who are left eye dominant learn to shoot long guns left handed.

I'm left eye dominant. I don't have any problems lining up my handguns straight up with my left eye. It's not canted or using my left as my dominant hand.

For rifles and shotties I have no issues using my right eye. Being right handed I've had no choice but to learn how to shoot and aim that way.

I'm sorry I don't really have any good advice. Just practice the way it feels comfortable until its second nature

I'm left eye dominant. I don't have any problems lining up my handguns straight up with my left eye. It's not canted or using my left as my dominant hand.

For rifles and shotties I have no issues using my right eye. Being right handed I've had no choice but to learn how to shoot and aim that way.

I'm sorry I don't really have any good advice. Just practice the way it feels comfortable until its second nature

what he said!!!

I used to compete every weeekend when I lived in NJ and was getting better and better until I started getting worse. Had some medical issues and figured that was the cause and stopped competing and sold off my shotgun and handgun collection Then I moved to Florida and immediately knew that I needed perscription sunglasses. My eyes are not bad and I used to shoot with just regular protective glasses. However at age 59 I learned that I was left eye dominant. Now, anyone who competes or shoots a lot knows how to determine eye dominance and I was right eyed dominant up until the age of 59. My eye doctor told me that 10% of men will switch eye dominance as they get older and I was one of the few. That explains a lot as always shot with both eyes open and never had the need to reconfirm my eye dominance once I knew what it was originally. :)

So now I cant my pistols a little bit gangster style to the left and have no problem with accuracy. I no longer own any shotguns and my only long gun will be a Ruger 10/22 takedown model which is a xmas gift under the tree. I plan to keep it around as a utility rifle for my hurricane/emergency kit. Comes apart and goes back together real easy and comes with a nice backpack type carry case that will also carry a handgun and scope. I would like to just use the iron sights but will have to wait for xmas before I can try shooting it without a scope. All my previous rifles always had a red dot on them for competition so I really do not know what to expect from iron sights on a rifle. I soo no problem if I keep my left eye closed and just sight with my right. As far as I know, eye dominance is only a big problem if you shoot with two eyes open.

As a result of eye injury from a car accident, I was transformed into left eye dominant, right-hand shooter. For me, it's been serious re-training of muscle memory to switch over to shooting long gun as a lefty. I am not the expert shot I once was either. I find handgun was much easier to adapt. If I shoot Weaver, canting my head works just fine. However, I rarely shoot Weaver outside of when I'm instructing. I've developed my own personal stance that allows me to be every bit as accurate as I was when I competed before the accident. My real point is that for every exceptional cross-eye dominant handgun shooter I've ever known and come by, they have all spent hours of practice with trial and error to see what works successfully for them. I think handguns and cross-eye dominance is more easily compensated than dealing with the issue with long guns.

Beyond this, google up Brian Enos.

You are way overthinking this. I am lefty, left eye dominant, yet learned to shoot everything right handed as we live in a right handed world. No problems with rifle or handgun, no funky canting anything, its just how you learn. Get an eye patch for your right eye when you practice. You will pick it up quicker than you think.

You are way overthinking this. I am lefty, left eye dominant, yet learned to shoot everything right handed as we live in a right handed world. No problems with rifle or handgun, no funky canting anything, its just how you learn. Get an eye patch for your right eye when you practice. You will pick it up quicker than you think.

That's one way to do it , if you had good eyes to begin with.

For me, it was tough because I cant close my eyes indepently, I can close both at same time, or my right eye only..and that's it.

For some odd reason I cannot close my left eye indepently, which inhibitaed me trying to "learn" standard right handed rifle shooting, but quickly adapated to left hand rifle shooting

Place a piece of scotch tape over your dominant eye ( on your safety glasses!). It will help you switch dominance. It isn't always possible to do. Like any shooting skill, the key is practice, practice, practice. Training extensively will either get you there or improve your "work-around". Either way, your shooting improves.

exactly the same for me! Right hand left eye dom

I am right handed but left eye dominant. My left eye dominance is so strong that I have borderline binocular vision and I cannot close just my left eye unaided.

I shoot handguns right handed but sight with my left eye (both eyes open usually). I move my head slightly to the right.

I shoot rifles left handed and sight with my left eye.

I also train a fair bit shooting hand guns left handed and also swapping hands as in a defense situation where I need to shoot around a barricade my eye/hand cross dominance can be an issue.

TheWombat

Practice, practice, practice.

When I work events like NRA day or youth outdoor day we get a lot of different shooters with different issues. A lot of em are kids on top of all that. It's all about finding that comfortable position and then keep practicing. Range time is the key.

If your in the Salem county area I can let you know when out next class is and I or someone else can work with ya.

I have been an instructor for the feds over 8 years and taught at FLETC, not to mention a FAM for 5 years before moving on to another fed gig. I agree 100%. If you have a proper stance and grip, your gun should be lined right up with your dominant eye. We teach its bad "ju ju" to "move your head" to get a sight picture...you should be moving the gun to your heads natural position again, in a good stance. That means shifting your arms left or right. We had guys blind as a bat and others with perfect vision. It worked for everyone with a little practice. In addition, everyone practiced shooting with their non-dom eye frequently as something may happen and you may lose vision in your "good eye" in a gun fight. No secret the qual times/tasks are challenging.

Once the folks who have been "doing it my way for years" realized it wasn't going to work in a gun fight, such as putting your ear on your shoulder shooting supine from cover on your dom eye side, NOBODY had a problem keeping their head up and staright and moving the gun to their eyes in a good grip or stance.

Then again, a lot of folks use all sorts of stances we don't.