Celraysoda

I hate Craigslist

Not sure if any of you have had the same experiences?

Buyers constantly flake out and don't show. If you are lucky, they may email you that night or the next day saying that they will pass. This has to be the most aggravating!

People offer you 20% of your asking price.

People always email " still available?" and don't respond to your email.

I get emails asking if I will ship to Nigeria or accept an overpayment in the form of a cashiers check and give them the item plus the overage in cash.

Yet, I still post items hoping things will change...

Indians.

They want to pay 20% of whatever you offer, no deal is good enough, they even agree to a price, then show up and try to haggle.

I once had an Indian guy offer me $20 for something that was listed for $95. When I said no thanks, he proceeded to mistake my last name for a Hispanic one, chuck racial slurs, and state that "$20 is more than enough for a Mexican like you to go get stoned"

Yeah.....

There really is no way to avoid the people flaking out but there is one thing I do to avoid people low balling you in person. What I do from the beginning is shake their hand and thank them for coming over. Before showing them the item I ask them "Are we OK with the price that we negotiated?" When they hear this up front they won't lowball you even further than they already did. I try to negotiate over the phone before they come over. Of course I am very honest up front with anything I am selling. I tell them exactly what is wrong or if the item is brand new condition.

Nor sure if any of you have had the same experiences?

Buyers constantly flake out and don't show. If you are lucky, they may email you that night or the next day saying that they will pass. This has to be the most aggravating!

People offer you 20% of your asking price.

People always email " still available?" and don't respond to your email.

I get emails asking if I will ship to Nigeria or accept an overpayment in the form of a cashiers check and give them the item plus the overage in cash.

Yet, I still post items hoping things will change...

The "still available?" ones are usually spam. I never bother with them. And yeah, there are a lot of flakes and low ballers. But I've met some genuinely fair people on it.

Normally a low ball email is like such:

Widget for sale $200

Email : " I'll give you $40 for it."

No courtesy or anything. If it was worded: "Hello, I saw your widget for sale. Would you be willing to take $40 for it? Thanks". I would still say no but I would feel better about it.

I buy on CL all the time. I try to be as upfront on price as I can. Only one time did I haggle it took like 45 min to get the price down. I hate that stuff .I just want to get it and go but sometimes its not what they say it is. I had one person who would not give me a time to come over even when I said you tell me the time. LOL

People are funny

I haggle by email useing examples. Like the tomasville table you are selling goes for x amount of dollars in mint condition.

It works well. I find people are less prone to haggle once you are there. What drives me crazy is when they say real wood or Ethan Allen and it's Ikea junk. One time I went off after about an hours drive.

Thankfully I'm a wood desk from being done shopping.

Yep, many people who use craigslist are flakier than a box of wheaties.

My "rules" when I use craigslist to sell something:

- In the ad, I instruct interested parties to reference the specific thing I'm selling when they contact me. All emails referring simply to "your item" are ignored.

- Only place I'll meet prospective buyers is the parking lot of the police station that's 2 minutes drive away from me. "Just call/text me when you get there". No more driving half an hour for a no show/no call/no text.

- After agreeing on price I tell prospective buyer that price is set and agreed upon, and that if they don't have that amount in cash at the meeting I'm simply driving back home without any further discussion.

I've had good luck using craigslist to find tenants. I do get lots of emails, even if I request potential tenants to call if they have questions. The no-show applicant is common but I try not to be offended. I will still use CL to fill a vacancy.

I've had really good luck with Craigslist so far. I've bought and sold motorcycles, mountain bikes, reptiles and reptile supplies. I've had probably 25 transactions through Craigslist and made some really good friends in the process. I guess it all comes down to what the item is. If its a personal hobby item I tend to have a lot in common with the person. I bought a coffee table once and that was the only iffy transaction I've had.

Whenever someone comes to the house for something, I always have my trusty Ruger in the waist ban though.

As other have said, the responses that say something like "do you still have it?" or "can I come see it?" and other very general questions are nothing but spammers collecting email address, and I wouldn't be surprised if the super low ballers are the same. When I post something on CL I always state in bold that the response must be a specific question to the item being sold and that general questions will be ignored.

I once had a guy email me and claim that he was a deaf mute and wanted to buy what I was selling but I would need to call him and speak to a special phone system that would translate my words into text for him. I don't exactly recall what excuse he was using as to why I would need to call him as opposed to simply emailing, but I think he was claiming that was the only way he would be able to transfer payment to me. Knowing this reeked of scam, I decided to check the area code the number was from (he claimed to be in CA, but was going to move to NJ soon), the area code was from the Dominican Republic. If I had called that number, I probably would have gotten a $900 phone bill for the call, and since it would be coming from another country, FFC regulations and protections would not apply. I emailed him back and told him cash on pick up only.

I have been pretty lucky with CL. I have traded and sold on it. I also give away stuff that my kids don't use anymore, better then going in the garbage.

Good point on meeting at the police department parking lot.

I have made a separate Gmail account just for my CL stuff. Keeps the spam another layer away from me.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

I've had no bad experience on craigslist just yet. No one really flaked out on me. Maybe I have been lucky? I have sold over $4000 worth of my toys and bought a lot of stuff too.

To be honest, I did have a few one timer emails, saying you still have it? Or the best one was I'm out of the country right now, but I will have my assistant email you her info and you can send her the "ITEM" when she sends you the cashiers check. Or can you send it to her this week, at the same time she send you the check?

A little crazy stuff but never been burnt yet!

Yeah, I have some better experiences but mostly not. I will let you know how tomorrow turns out. Person who wants to barter says he should be here around "5ish". Would rather get cash but a banshee with a spare 250 motor is pretty tempting. I will post the banshee on here if I get it.

i call it Cracklist. I hate it just like you. I won't say I've never used it to buy/sell. I have. But the experience does suck.

You have to be much more patient. It is, however, free.

I have found paying for an ad in a local paper or buying from a local paper ad has seemed to be less of a headache.

I've bought and sold a few dirtbikes and motorcycles on craigslist. My complaints are people not responding to my inquiries after i tell them i have cash in hand. Or when they put OBO then won't haggle the price with me. Or when they straight out lie about condition. I've never had a problem selling, only trying to buy. Some people think they have gold when its really a POS. I'm usually up front and tell them i week make an offer in person after i check out the item.

I could not be more happy with craigslist. i have never had a problem at all and i have sold a bunch of crap on there that i would havd just thrown out or scraped. I even sold used hotwater heaters, boilers, and furnace that i got payed to replace! I know a few people who have had problems but i have been luckey so far i guess

I've been doing Craigslist seriously for a year or so now. I've never had a no show or anyone trying to lower the price at the time of sale. I have had people arrive a few minutes late, but that's it. Recently, I've had issues with folks trying to get personal info with this nonsense.

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will

instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure

you will get in about 2 - 3 business days. I'll add $30 extra for the

delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full

name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed

out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will

be after you must have received and cashed the payment.

Awaiting your info.

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your response. I'm going on a vacation to London but I will

instruct my assistant to prepare and mail your payment which I'm sure

you will get in about 2 - 3 business days. I'll add $30 extra for the

delay. I'll pay by M O or cashier check so send me your info (i.e full

name, mailing address and your phone number) so payment can be mailed

out immediately. I will also make arrangement for pick-up which will

be after you must have received and cashed the payment.

Awaiting your info.

Thanks

Yeah, that's typical scammer BS.

Never agree to a third party pick up. I won't take anything except cash as payment.

Ha, just had a little Craigslist experience myself. I've got a guitar for sale on the NJGF list that I also put up on craigslist. Got a response from a guy asking if I'd like to donate my guitar to help relief efforts for Sandy. I asked him who he was and if he was affiliated with any local charities. No response.

Ha, just had a little Craigslist experience myself. I've got a guitar for sale on the NJGF list that I also put up on craigslist. Got a response from a guy asking if I'd like to donate my guitar to help relief efforts for Sandy. I asked him who he was and if he was affiliated with any local charities. No response.

Yeah, I had a guy approach me at my office claiming to be collecting funds for Sandy relief, he had no proof he was legitimate. I explained we suffered losses from Sandy as well. Not CL related but same BS.