Scott204

Progressive press

Well I have been reloading for about 5 years and now starting to think about investing in a progressive press. I have a RCBS single stage press now and a bunch of RCBS dyes. I reload for 300wsm, 243, 30-30, 9mm, 38, .40 well you get the picture. My question is which press should I look at and which press would be compatible with the dyes I already have. I would hate to buy dyes and have doubles just because I want a new press.

Dies should work fine. They are standard size. Major players in the progressive market are Dillon, Hornady, and RCBS. Dillon is the cadillac of the group. However, they are pricey and seems like you are always adding componets to mix. All in all its a durable press and works well. Used to be a contact on this board that can help with discounts on purchase. A search or someone else I'm sure will add to post.

Here's the poop! I have about a grand$ into my Dillon stuff. I load 9mm, 223 and 45acp.

I loaded 15k rds of 9mm in 2010. New ammo cost I calculated at about $4800

I spent about $1800 in components.

The payback seems pretty good to me.

BTW no break downs no BS.

Oh! Dillon carbide dies all the way.

I'm also a Dillon Fan but wouldn't kick a Hornady L-n-L out of the house and think you can't go wrong either way. One thing to keep in mind, what do your friends or people you know have, it can be better to have someone familiar with the press who can mentor you as you learn on it.

either way, you will love the progressive output. :)