greatgunstatenj

The Media Never Ceases To Amaze

I don't think I'm old enough to know when journalism went from a respectable profession to complete sh*t. But this is certainly more evidence that it has. Just what we need, 15lb rifles that cost $10k.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/09/opinion/shane-smarter-guns/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

I don't think I'm old enough to know when journalism went from a respectable profession to complete sh*t. But this is certainly more evidence that it has. Just what we need, 15lb rifles that cost $10k.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t3

Sometime in early to mid 1700s! Go read some colonial newspapers and their viewpoints on Washington, King George, Franklin and the Revolution.

For the last hour I've been listening to D&D on 101.5 discuss this article and issue with their callers. I've got to say that some of the "ideas" the obviously-anti crowd called in make them sound even nuttier than the most-rabid, Alex Jones-like pro-gun advocate I've ever heard.

The last one was a doozy: a woman said the technology to implant a camera lens and some data collecting device onto a firearm exists, and it would send an image of the shooter to the local PD every time it is fired. Before that, another genius suggested that the BULLETS be fitted with sensors and what-not so the police know when they've been fired. Add to these kookaloos the others that called in with the disclaimer "Now I'm not anti-gun or anti-hunter, BUT I don't think anyone but the military and the police should have semi-automatic/assault weapons....", who then follow with the most restrictive, onerous requirements and proposed technology to monitor firearms that you can imagine.

These people are really starting to just piss me off. It's bad enough that the media is intentionally misleading people and misrepresenting the facts to the public. That the majority of the public is too dumb to realize they are being manipulated is maddening. BTW, public outrage in Bayonne must be growing over gun ownership: I received a nice, long gouge mark over my NRA sticker on my rear bumper sometime today.

While I'm ranting, if I hear one more "sportsman" yapping about how--because all they do is shoot clays, hunt, etc.---they support bans on "assault weapons" and high-capacity "clips", I'm gonna put my fist through the TV/radio/newspaper. Traitorous bastards.

Okay, I feel better now, but I'll feel even better on Friday night when I'm throwing lead at the Bayonne range.

Scott, just listening to you recount what you've been hearing on the radio is making my blood boil. Hearing some mouthbreather start an argument with "Like I'm totally not against like guns, but"...

I am headed to the range right now to bleed some pressure off.

H.M.....I LIKE your style, AND I just noticed the "Dump Florio" sig, too, so I'm lovin' that blast from the past. If you're going to be in the area someday, send me a PM and we'll go a-shooting.

Tell you what: at least D&D run a fair forum on which to discuss the 2A and firearms legislation. They both are definitely libertarian in their leanings and don't buy into the over-regulation that their morning counterpart, Jim Gearhart (sic) embraces. The midday show with Dennis and Judy have also given the issue a lot of airtime, and have been very helpful to our cause, IMO. Dennis is a long time hunter and firearms owner and presents an intelligent, savvy opinion on the matter of ownership and regulation. All in all, 101.5 has been extremely good to the cause as this assault on our rights keeps gaining traction.

The whole smart gun idea is genius........it only took a minute and a half for that CNN article to load on my PC (and I don't have an old slow computer).......... so when I'm forced to buy a smart gun I can look forward to waiting a minute and half for a program to load for my gun to be able to fire while someone is kicking in my door and charging at me..........pure genius.

<Sarcasm off>

Believe it or not, until the Newtown tragedy, the media was getting better at hiding their true feelings. Back in the 80's and earlier 90's they were openly and blatantly anti gun, running hour long news specials on how guns needed to be banned. The NRA and other groups started to try to get their FCC licenses yanked on the grounds that they were not giving a balance of both viewpoints, which was (is) required to maintain an FCC broadcasting license. Now they smell an opportunity to go for the gold in the gun control Olympics. Both sides know if major legislation doesn't pass in the next year or so, it's never going to happen at all.

It was in the 80s, and was a combination of deregulation of media outlets in general, and television in particular, as well as changes in technology, namely new ratings gathering equipment used by nielsen, and the advent of the 24 hour news network as permitted by cable.

Deregulation allowed for consolidation of news outlets under one owner, which drastically reduced the variety of sources for editorial opinion influencing the new report. Then you had the new ratings gathering technology which made everything's ratings go down by being more accurate and thus less inflated. Then you had the fallout of that combining with the consolidation of ownership. Previously with lots of owners, news was expected to have ho hum ratings, and since everyone was strategizing and funding on their own, AND there was the threat of the fairness doctrine, there wasn't a huge battle for numbers. With bigger players with more outlets nationally, that started chanign, and then the fairness doctrine got killed. Which meant you could turn it into a politicized circus of infotainment rather than aim for impartial coverage.