ATKCCTR

Moving to NJ from Out of State

I am moving from VA to NJ. I have a legally purchased Ruger SR9c (7-round and 10-round magazines) that I plan to take with me. Do I need any additional permit from NJ to have this pistol in my home? Transport it? I am planning to use it for range shooting as well.

Thanks.

No additional permit needed to have in your home or for transportation to and from the range. NJ does have a "Voluntary Registration" of guns purchased out of state, but again, that's a voluntary process.

What you will need is a NJ Fire Arms ID card if you wish to purchase pistol ammo.

What part of NJ?

my advice:  do whatever you have to do and STAY IN VIRGINIA

Agreed. Even though jobs in NJ tend to pay pretty good, taxes and general cost of living will kill you here. I can't wait to leave, and I'll finally have the option this summer. This really has nothing to do with guns, either.

Agreed. Even though jobs in NJ tend to pay pretty good, taxes and general cost of living will kill you here. I can't wait to leave, and I'll finally have the option this summer. This really has nothing to do with guns, either.

I couldn't agree more...my wife and I are trying to leave NJ as well. We are looking at Charlotte and Raleigh, NC. If you can, stay in Virginia...people are leaving this area in hoards. I live in Jersey City at the moment and hopefully not too much longer. On a brighter note, since you will be in JC, check out Caso's On Danforth Ave. it's a nice, smaller gun store but one of the few in the immediate area.

Kingsoverqueens: Thanks. I'll be in Jersey City. I know that the laws are becoming more restrictive there. My Virginia CCW will be no good... How hard is it to get one from New Jersey?

Big Jay: Thanks.

Unless you are taking a job in law enforcement you can expect that CCW isn't going to happen. They are as rare here as pink unicorns. I'm sorry.

I don't know Jersey City that well and thus can't recommend any ranges in that area, which is why I asked where you were going. Others will offer suggestions.

Bear in mind that it will take a couple of months to get your FID.

ATKCCTR,

Welcome to the NJ Shooting community.

AS stated above, you will not be able to get an NJ CCW permit unless you are employed in armed security, you have "justifiable need" (meaning are in a type of imminent danger that only a gun could resolve) or know somebody in government that can help speed the process through.

Get a NJ FID card as soon as you hit ground. It will take roughly 30 days to get, and you will have to go through fingerprinting and a few extra steps, but it will allow you to buy ammunition and long arms if you choose.

Please consider fighting for your rights by joining NJ2AS.org and if you are able, consider our march on the Statehouse on the 8th of February.

And if you want an even bigger laugh about what you are getting into:

Welcome to the community. You'll find that we yell and scream at each other, but at the end of the day, everybody is one big family here.

Welcome!

I worked in DC during the Reagan Administration, and Virginia was not libertarian about out of state vehicle registrations and about radar detectors.

Pick your poison!

(Do try to read the NJ code about firearms, ammunition and transportation -- because things that would seem to be common sense anywhere else can be felonies in the Garden State.)

I am in a very similar position and would like to make it "triple sure" that I am understanding answers above...

I am moving to NJ from NY in about a month. In NY I have a hunting rifle (which there required only FFL bacground check at the time of purchase, no registration or document of any kind). Kimber 84M 308.

General note of the responces to this thread is that "What you will need is a NJ Fire Arms ID card if you wish to purchase ... ammo." I am suspicious that it may not be that lax. All online NJ gun law resources discuss only purchase in NJ and transportation through (or to) NJ. I have not seen any mention of moving in with the gun and becoming a resident. All those documents require person to have/get NJFAID before owning a gun of any kind in NJ. There is the "chicken or the egg" rub: I won't have NJ address 'til I move here and hence no chance to have NJFAID. Once I move in, I must bring rifle with me - and I really, really do not want the trouble of violating any gun laws. But, if I don't need NJFAID and I do not intend to purchase more firearms or ammunittion in NJ - I'd prefer not to go through that timewaster until I really need to... My understanding of the answers above is that latter may be the case, but is it?

Side question: I assumed that I can purchase (rifle) ammunnition online... Does NJ require ID for that or limit it somehow?

Thanks for all the info!

Sorry to hear you are moving here to the PR of NJ. If you can get out of it do it, but if not, well there are a lot of great people that will feel ya so....

Oh, welcome to the Forum and forget getting a CCW permit in NJ unless you're in LE.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Side question: I assumed that I can purchase (rifle) ammunnition online... Does NJ require ID for that or limit it somehow?

Thanks for all the info!

Most online sellers will sell you all types of ammo online, however, you cannot buy or possess pistol grade ammo outside without an NJFID. I'm not motivated to find the section of law however I've read it in the past for the purpose of similar conversations.

Online sellers will gladly sell you ammo...they don't care if you are legal. It's up to you be make sure you are legal to buy it. I've never once shown my FID for online purchase, but have had to read disclaimers about making sure that I (the purchaser) is eligible to purchase the ammo.

You don't need the NJ FID to own a gun that you purchased before you became a resident. There is no mandatory registration and there is no permit to own a rifle or pistol.

You will, however, need teh NJ FID to purchase pistol ammo at a gun store or other brick and mortar type location. Depending on your relationship with the store they may consider 22LR ammo to be pistol grade and require the ID card. You won't need it for shotgun shells or 100% pure rifle grade rounds (223/308/30-06).

General note of the responses to this thread is that "What you will need is a NJ Fire Arms ID card if you wish to purchase ... ammo." I am suspicious that it may not be that lax.

The FID is somewhat of a misnomer. It's really a "Firearms Purchaser Identification Card." I'm looking at it right now.

There are a couple of ways that you can obtain firearms in NJ. One way is to have them willed to you in the event of someone's death. A spouse can inherit firearms after the death of her husband without a will. The other way is to bring one in from out of state as long as you were a resident of that state when you purchased it there.

If you have just one hunting rifle and all you really intend to do is hunt, you have plenty of time before the next deer season. Unfortunately, you'll be hunting in NY or PA because we don't allow deer hunting in NJ with firearms unless it's a shotgun.

When you come to NJ with your rifle, go directly to your new home. If you want to shoot your rifle, it's perfectly ok, but you must go directly to and from the range.

Welcome to NJ and our shooting community. Enjoy our incredible diners and our beautiful beaches (at least what's left of them). And please consider joining NJ2AS.org when you get here.

I am in a very similar position and would like to make it "triple sure" that I am understanding answers above...

I am moving to NJ from NY in about a month. In NY I have a hunting rifle (which there required only FFL bacground check at the time of purchase, no registration or document of any kind). Kimber 84M 308.

General note of the responces to this thread is that "What you will need is a NJ Fire Arms ID card if you wish to purchase ... ammo." I am suspicious that it may not be that lax. All online NJ gun law resources discuss only purchase in NJ and transportation through (or to) NJ. I have not seen any mention of moving in with the gun and becoming a resident. All those documents require person to have/get NJFAID before owning a gun of any kind in NJ. There is the "chicken or the egg" rub: I won't have NJ address 'til I move here and hence no chance to have NJFAID. Once I move in, I must bring rifle with me - and I really, really do not want the trouble of violating any gun laws. But, if I don't need NJFAID and I do not intend to purchase more firearms or ammunittion in NJ - I'd prefer not to go through that timewaster until I really need to... My understanding of the answers above is that latter may be the case, but is it?

Thanks for all the info!

NJ does not register long guns. You do not need an FID to OWN a long gun, you need an FID to BUY a long gun in NJ. You can move here with whatever firearms you own (including handguns), that are not considered "assault weapons" under NJ law, with doing any type of paperwork or notifications. Get an FID card anyway, because it will give you better long gun transport protections under the law and allow you to buy long guns at will as well as handgun ammo. Some stores MAY refuse to sell you long gun ammo without an FID (although the law allows it) and many online sellers will require it.

Most online sellers will sell you all types of ammo online, however, you cannot buy or possess pistol grade ammo outside without an NJFID.

This is not entirely accurate. You need a FID to come into possession of handgun ammo while in NJ. If you already possess the ammo while not in NJ, you can bring it in with no problems. It's illegal to sell 1 round of 9mm to someone without an FID in NJ. But that same person could drive a whole truck full of ammo to his house so long as it bought it in any other state.