Kingsoverqueens

Are unfired guns worth more than fired ones?

I've recently taken over my fathers collection for the purpose of selling them, to help him raise money. There are a couple I'm going to keep as they have no value but are fun to shoot...the 1950's Mossberg 410 bolt comes to mind, or his old 30-06. I'm going to pay hm for the 1960's Spanish SXS shotgun because it's pretty and has some sentimental value to me. Others I'm simply not really interested in. The kicker is that some of these guns have never been fired. Ever. 1981 Colt Trooper MKIII in 357, as an example...never fired. S&W 17-4 from 1981...never fired. Some other pistols, 2 lever guns...

I'm having a hard time finding acceptable selling prices. Using the Colt as a continued example, the "Gun Blue Book" puts the value at $900 for a 100% gun, which this is...it's 30 years old and brand friken new. I tried listing it here and finally pulled the add after reducing the price to $700.00.

So, my question...how much, generally speaking, are old unfired guns worth as compared to old fired guns? Or are they? Is it even a factor?

I'm getting to the point where preserving their virginity for the sake of a few extra bucks is losing it's luster and I'm tempted to deflower them. lol

Really depends on the gun and how limited the manufacturing of it was. For instance, in my collection I have S&W 27-1s, which is an uber-rare enngineering change of the Smith for 1 year. Those are incredibly sought after and all barrel lengths sell regularly for $1200-$2000. I acquired an unfired 27-1 in 5-inch and have been offered $4000 from fellow collectors for it.

With your Colt, they are very easy to come by and don't fetch the big dollars. The 17-4 might capture a bit more as many of us Smith guys like the M17 (shoot me some pictures and let's discuss that one).

Just put them up on gunbroker & gunsamerica sites

These crazies are buying up everything right now.

It's true. Do you research first. Rare firearms will fetch a lot more $$$$

Unless it shows a lot of wear, no one really knows if it's new or fired 100 times.

You can list them as used or LNIB.

Just post photos of the inside barrel. The nicer the photos the more $$$ you'll get.

The distinction between "unfired" guns and very gently handled guns is pretty small. I think most new guns (at least in modern times) are fired a few times in the factory to check function. I know many guns I buy even come with the sample target and the brass from the test rounds in a little envelope. So, if an "unfired" gun has been fired 1-5 times, does the 6th shot remove the value?

does the 6th shot remove the value?

Therein lies the question.

We're not talking about new M&P or Glock fired 6 or even a 100 times.

We're talking about 30 years old and never fired outside of what the factory may have done. Litterally like finding 30 year old car sitting under a tarp with 13 miles on the odometer. Does the same hold true for guns like it does for cars? I starting to think it doesn't, and if so, I'm going to have my way with them.

A firearm isnt worth anythihg unless it can actually be safely fired, this typically applies to firearms older then 30 years

but I persoanlly would not pay anymore for an item based on the fact that it's unfired.

maybe you can list it as new old stock

sounds like much dinero here

seriously these crazies are buying up all sorts of garbage online right now....

good time to sell

just list the auction for 10 days to get max exposure

put up some good search words so they can easily find it

I don't know for collectables. Probably impacts it a little more. Your run of the mill Glocks, M&Ps and standard production guns don't seem to matter that much since the difference between new and used is maybe only $100 at most to begin with.

Get a value you think is fair and post them here

Not the intent of the thread Blueline, but in that spirit, I thought $900 for a 30 year old unfire MK III was fair...hundreds of views and nary one offer, all the way down to $700.

Hence part of the reason I haven't replied to your requests for a price on the Star. I price it too high and run the risk of getting my balls pounded flat. You buy and sell alot...you tell me what is a "fair" price. lol.

Not the intent of the thread Blueline, but in that spirit, I thought $900 for a 30 year old unfire MK III was fair...hundreds of views and nary one offer, all the way down to $700.

Hence part of the reason I haven't replied to your requests for a price on the Star. I price it too high and run the risk of getting my balls pounded flat. You buy and sell alot...you tell me what is a "fair" price. lol.

I check gunbroker for prices to see what stuff sold for based on condition. Then I go from there and see if its worth the asking price. If not I make an offer I think is reasonable.

I check gunbroker for prices to see what stuff sold for based on condition.

Using that criteria the price on my MKIII is more than fair...perhaps even low.

Is there an easy way to see what actions closed and the selling price? I've poked around but no luck finding it.

I check gunbroker for prices to see what stuff sold for based on condition. Then I go from there and see if its worth the asking price. If not I make an offer I think is reasonable.

Correct check listing that have sold, not what people are asking and there is your true market value.

A 30 uear old MKIII in the end is just a MKIII, honestly if you are brining something rare to the table or a un molested wwII bring back, thats when you get into the bigger bucks with older hand guns.

And remember right now people are paying double what things are worth if not more, so if you want to bring that

kind of Money then list in on gun broker.

Is there an easy way to see what actions closed and the selling price? I've poked around but no luck finding it.

just put the weapon in google and a bunch of expired auctions will show up.

A 30 uear old MKIII in the end is just a MKIII,

Assuming that true, there isn't any reason I shouldn't pop it's cherry, right? lol

I fawned over that gun since I was a teenager and if keeping it unfired helps get my old man more coinage, then fine. But it's not really worth more as a virgin, then I can't think of a reason not to que up some Barry White, light a candle to set the mood, and have my way with it.

Assuming that true, there isn't any reason I shouldn't pop it's cherry, right? lol

I fawned over that gun since I was a teenager and if keeping it unfired helps get my old man more coinage, then fine. But it's not really worth more as a virgin, then I can't think of a reason not to que up some Barry White, light a candle to set the mood, and have my way with it.

I agree you you 100% just clean it really good when your done.

You can check out some of the rim fire sites and vfy this for sure but I do a lot of old and rare pistol

collecting and these number come up in conversation or in my searches.

If you find a way, let us know

I spend about an hour on Gunbroker a week taking in prices, that gives me a pretty good idea of the market. Sometimes if you search Google for a specific firearm it will pull up auctions that have closed but haven't disappeared yet

How about a list of what you have...maybe then people could PM you offers. I'd like to know what you have. Maybe something will peak my interest.

I hear you, but like I wrote earlier...I didn't intend for htis to be a buy sell thread. There is a seperate forum for that and I've listed some of the guns discussed for sale there.

If anything I'll make up a list of all of them and list them as one thread in the buy sell.

I hear you, but like I wrote earlier...I didn't intend for htis to be a buy sell thread. There is a seperate forum for that and I've listed some of the guns discussed for sale there.

If anything I'll make up a list of all of them and list them as one thread in the buy sell.

good idea

You have to be registered and use the Advanced Search. There is a tab for completed auctions. Fill in youir search criteria and search. Make sure that there were actually bids entered and that they met the reserve (really sold), as this is just a listing of completed auctions - doesn't necessarily mean the item sold - you have to open the individual listing to confirm that.

If you don't do this, all you are looking at is what people are asking, not what things are actually selling for.

Just did a quick perusal of Colt Trooper Mk III's - low of $425 to about $1200 for a NIB with all papers, etc. Having the original box, numbered to the gun, and all paperwork that originally came with the gun (instruction manual, warranty card, tools - if any) can add quite a bit of value. Recently looked at a Colt Diamondback in .22 for what I thought was a steal - appeared new and unfired, but had no box and had non-OE grips - those two items would have added almost $400 to the value of the gun. There are a lot of factors that determine gun value, but ultimately, it is, of course, what someone is willing to pay - how you market the gun has a large impact on that.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I didn't see anything over there...on this site?

I suppose it would be just as easy to ask.....any of the lever actions a 357?