mipafox

Deer Hunting with other than Shotgun...

you could take a deer with a knife in NJ

Never. Legal methods for taking deer were shotgun & bow; season and legal methods then expanded to include muzzleloaders in 1978, then legal methods expanded once again to include crossbows in 2009.

That doesn't mean anyone never tried though. ;)

Never. Legal methods for taking deer were shotgun & bow; season and legal methods then expanded to include muzzleloaders in 1978, then legal methods expanded once again to include crossbows in 2009.

That doesn't mean anyone never tried though.   ;)

I tried. But I lost my resolve pretty damn quick ;)

I tried. But I lost my resolve pretty damn quick ;)

Are you auditioning for the TV show Survivor or something? Why would you even want to do this? I'm just starting to get into hunting and I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this? Maybe its a type of hunting that I haven't been aware of yet? Please explain...

Not uncommon today to see folks use a knife on hog hunts down south and in Texas. Just check YouTube.

For deer, you might have to attend Tom Brown's Tracker School first so you can sneak up on 'em. :)

Not uncommon today to see folks use a knife on hog hunts down south and in Texas. Just check YouTube.

For deer, you might have to attend Tom Brown's Tracker School first so you can sneak up on 'em. :)

The Texas hunts are hogs held at bay with dogs and I doubt even the best tracker could sneak up on a Whitetail. I suppose if you were a "crazy somebitch" you could attempt to jump on one from a tree stand... actually I'd love to see someone try this. :D

The Texas hunts are hogs held at bay with dogs and I doubt even the best tracker could sneak up on a Whitetail. I suppose if you were a "crazy somebitch" you could attempt to jump on one from a tree stand... actually I'd love to see someone try this. :D

That would be a feat, although Tom Brown claimed that by the age of 12 he could sneak up on deer and smack them on their rumps just to test his skill. Read his book "Footprints."

It's probably on YouTube someplace. Roflmao.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I know there are guys using spears from treestands for deer. Last year a video popped up of a guy knifing a bear that had its head in a bucket of bait. I suppose someone will try anything to get that video exclusive.

you dont have to sneek up on the deer at my house the neighbor feeds them by hand with corn. I just pretend that i have something in my hand and walk up to them and pet them. I am sure it would be all to easy to grab one and stab it with a knife but i think it would be to easy.

you dont have to sneek up on the deer at my house the neighbor feeds them by hand with corn. I just pretend that i have something in my hand and walk up to them and pet them. I am sure it would be all to easy to grab one and stab it with a knife but i think it would be to easy.

That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Spend much time in the pen? :)

That's the funniest thing I've read all week. Spend much time in the pen? :)

As in jail? No never been arrested. Not so far fetched though I have hunted boar in flordia with a knife though dogs caught them and held them untill we caught up with them.

Are you auditioning for the TV show Survivor or something?  Why would you even want to do this?  I'm just starting to get into hunting and I just don't understand why anyone would want to do this?  Maybe its a type of hunting that I haven't been aware of yet?  Please explain...

When I was younger I was in a car with a friend and some girls. A deer had just been hit and was flopping around in the road so we pulled over. No guns. It had a broken (dangling) leg at a minimum. So, being young, dumb, and full of cum, I thought I was going to show what a tough guy I was and go over and put it out of it's misery with my knife. Well, the deer didn't care about anybody else, but it seemed to care about me. And when it stood up on three legs and threatened me, I realized I wasn't as tough as I had planned to be.

as for knife hunting in general, it is done in the US, and the rest is like I said. A guy who should know told me about it in NJ around 10 years ago. He might have even had the game code in in hands at the time, I don't remember.

You set up a feeding location, dig a shallow hole underneith - the size of your body - camo up, lie in hole, cover with camo and wait. Someday the deer will stand above you in just the right position to jab.

When you complete the kill come here and brag about taking a deer with a knife.

The point of hunting is to harvest the animal with the quickest and most ethical way you can. Now can you honestly say that a knife hits those categories? I have shot a couple deer in my life and finished with a knife. I will tell you it brings me no pleasure or pride to have to do it. When using a knife you are close to the animal, you and the animal lock eyes, that image does not go away. I know it's not like a story a soldier would tell you about a situation with humans, but I imaging it's a similar feeling. So like I said, if your doing it to feel tough, please don't. Be ethical. Just my opinion.

Wait... What??? You've lost me... Where am I??? I also thought you were asking these questions because you were interested in that kind of hunting. So, if you're not looking to go all stabby on the NJ wildlife and not a hunter, what drove you to the questions? Just curious... I gotta be honest, as someone getting into hunting for the first time with a shotGUN, I was a little freaked out that there might be some John Rambo's out there as I walk though the woods looking to jump out of tree's with knives bigger than my shotgun... Dude!!! Don't mess with me like that, I'm gettin' old.... :haha:

Someone could misconstrue from New Jersey Code of Criminal Justice 2C:39-6. f.) that it is legal to hunt with a knife:

2C:39-6. f. Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5

shall be construed to prevent... (2) A person carrying a firearm

or knife in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this State

for the purpose of hunting, target practice or fishing, provided

that the firearm or knife is legal and appropriate for hunting

or fishing purposes in this State and he has in his possession

a valid hunting license, or, with respect to fresh water fishing,

a valid fishing license;

However, if you search through New Jersey Permanent Statute Title 23, for hunting in Fish and Game, Wild Birds and Animals, you won't find "knife" mentioned as a weapon for taking big game.

http://www.njfishand....com/njregs.htm

Those folks have something seriously wrong with them. I hunt hogs at my ranch in Tx and I'll be damned if I want to get closer than 50 yards from one.

If you have ever seen a pissed off boar, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Those things are like Abrams Tanks with legs, and will ruin your entire day in a heartbeat.

I know a couple of guys that hunt them with dogs and pistols, up close. I think they are nuts! I've seen personally a boar gut a dog, and I wouldn't want to be close enough to give the hog a chance to do that to me.

A rifle for me, thank you very much.

I kid you not, about 12 years ago in my younger days I took a deer with a knife in NJ. I wounded a deer from a tree with two arrows. The deer layed down right under the tree. After about 10 minutes, (I was still in tree, letting it bleed out) the deer got up and started to walk slowly and not well, away from the tree. I jumped the 10 feet from the tree, ran to the deer, grabbed it, and cut its throat. This was probably possible because it was so weak from losing blood. It was an automatic thing. I wasnt even thinking. True story. Freaked me out more then than it is doing to you right now. Couldnyt believe it happened. Luckily I had a buddy with me and he is still alive so he swears to it when I tell the story.

When I was younger I was in a car with a friend and some girls. A deer had just been hit and was flopping around in the road so we pulled over. No guns. It had a broken (dangling) leg at a minimum. So, being young, dumb, and full of cum, I thought I was going to show what a tough guy I was and go over and put it out of it's misery with my knife. Well, the deer didn't care about anybody else, but it seemed to care about me. And when it stood up on three legs and threatened me, I realized I wasn't as tough as I had planned to be.

Now that is TMI...