Howard

Lonewolf .40 cal to 9mm conversion question

I was wondering if there are any issues in using the conversion barrel in a Glock 23. My understanding is that to make the straight ejector work correctly with the 9mm ammo that the barrel is slightly off-set. Does this cause any issues as I would imagine that the firing pin no longer strikes the center of the round. Is that a correct assumption, and if so does it cause any issues?

I'm not sure if there are any differences between the Glock 23 and 22 aside from barrel length, but I put a in my conversion barrel in my 22 and had 1 fail to eject in 1000 rounds of Blazer aluminum. I still believe it was due to a manufacterer defect. I have pictures of the defective rim if you want to see it.

Thanks for all the feedback, glad to know there are no issues. I have to admit that I am a little confused. Since the round is shifted slightly to one side I assume that the firing pin will not hit dead center on the round. Can anyone verify this, or does it actually hit dead center somehow?

The base of a 9MM case is .394. For the 40S&W is .424. The difference is .030. Half that distance is .015. So your primer strike is off by .015 inch (on paper). You can hardly see this let alone worry about off-center primer strikes. This is not a factor at all. Primer strikes vary more than this from pistol to pistol.

The base of a 9MM case is .394. For the 40S&W is .424. The difference is .030. Half that distance is .015. So your primer strike is off by .015 inch (on paper). You can hardly see this let alone worry about off-center primer strikes. This is not a factor at all. Primer strikes vary more than this from pistol to pistol.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense.

I was wondering if there are any issues in using the conversion barrel in a Glock 23. My understanding is that to make the straight ejector work correctly with the 9mm ammo that the barrel is slightly off-set. Does this cause any issues as I would imagine that the firing pin no longer strikes the center of the round. Is that a correct assumption, and if so does it cause any issues?

Plenty of rounds through mine with no issues and never modified the extractor. Only thing is every once in a while you get shell to the face. Not a big deal if you ask me. A few others discussed this is some 9mm thread a day or to ago.

Never had a problem with G23 conversion barrel with a couple of thousand rounds through it. I don't like the Lone Wolf emblem on it, though, and would have paid the extra $25 or so to get the unmarked one. And, I use the cheap South Korean magazines (KCI?) with it and have never had a problem, either. In fact, you can replace the spring inside with an authentic Glock one, if you choose. It works for me. And, I have also gotten some of the cheap KCI Glock 22 magazines for it as well. That allows for 15 rounds of .40S&W with the G23. Also, I highly recommend the TruGlo TFO sights.

I have a LWD 40-9 in my Glock 23... and admittedly I had a few hiccups when brand spanking new ( and admittedly using as cheap 9mm ammo as possible) but a few boxes ran thru it and it's awesome, absolutely awesome.

The Glock 23 is of course in my opinion, many other opinions, and even Hickok45's opinion, the best all around Glock, and you can definitely call it the most versatile- you can keep the .40 cal for Home Defense and not only get a 40-9 bbl for practice etc you can also get .357 SIG bbls ( you can actually just BUY a factory or other brand .357 SIG Glock 32 (31 if you want extended bbl length) and put it in, a .357 SIG need not be a "conversion bbl") and you can shoot 40, 9, and 357 SIG with your G23.

I came close to buying a .357 SIG bbl but I refrained because it is REDONKULPUSLY expensive, really not THAT much different/ certainly iMHO not that better than 40 and its so expensive and hard to find a little, did not make any sense. Where as 9mm is cheap to shoot and plentiful for SHTF, 357 sig is a luxury round and not needed for my planning.

I wholeheartedly encourage a 40-9 bbl LWD.

good topic, thanks cause i've been wanting to do the same thing to convert my G35 gen 4 to 9mm for cheap practice, does anyone know if i do this do i have to switch mags, i've heard differing opinions on different websites. thankyou