chumo00

new NICS system

I didn't think so but Atlantic Tactical called me to tell me my nics check was in. I told them I have no idea when my permit is going to be here and they said its fine, we'll hold the gun for you but after 30 days you'll need another nics.

i heard thier is a limit to how long a nics is valid for... I have not come across that situation yet so i dont know the exact time frame

From HERE:

Recording and Communicating a Proceed Response

If the initial response is a proceed, the FFL must record the date, the NTN, and the proceed response in the space provided on the ATF Form 4473 and comply with all federal firearms laws.

Note: An approved NICS check is valid for 30 days from the day the check was initiated. If an individual has not picked up the firearm within 30 days, a new NICS check must be conducted.

Thanks for the input! My problem isn't nics this time but my township itself taking they're sweet ol' time. Does anyone know if the background check they do includes your address? My address is in the town I applied at but I have the mail forwarded somewhere else because I am soon moving.

There are instant license plate and DL checks to write you a speeding ticket. Why not instant NICS? Sounds like a de-facto waiting period to me, just like PA had no liquor sales on sundays because the state owns all the liquor stores and closed them on Sundays.

I didn't think so but Atlantic Tactical called me to tell me my nics check was in. I told them I have no idea when my permit is going to be here and they said its fine, we'll hold the gun for you but after 30 days you'll need another nics.

:facepalm:

Why not?

Might be missing something here Paul, but why would they want to, if the buyer does not even have his permit yet? I could see paying for the gun and then having the FFL hold it until their permit comes in...but what is the reason Atlantic Tactical would want to submit a nics check if the customer might not have his permit issued in that time period. Seems like they want to double dip on their Nics fee which I understand is more then the standard $15.00

Why not?

I didn't think that was possible..........I guess I learned something new.

Question then......... If the NICS check is done, and the buyer doesn't get their permit until 20 days after the NICS is run, do they then have to wait 30 days for their next HG purchase from the time the NICS was done or from when they picked up the HG and filled out the permit?

Might be missing something here Paul, but why would they want to, if the buyer does not even have his permit yet? I could see paying for the gun and then having the FFL hold it until thier permit comes in...but what is the reason Atlantic Tactical would want to submit a nics check if the customer might not have his permit issued in that time period. Seems like they want to double dip on their Nics fee which I understand is more then the standard $15.00

Yea I have no clue why they ran it. I told them right from the start I was waiting for my permit. Believe me if I don't have the permit in the 30 days, which I probably wont, I will be talking to them about that. They charged me $25 for the nics so I do not plan on paying for it a second time. I mean if I have to I have to but I will definitely write a post about it. I was not happy with my initial visit as it is now.

Any eta on the pistol purchase permits? I did my paperwork 2 weeks ago, lady in record told me today it would be a few months!?

Sup Joe its Kevin,

I wouldnt keep your fingers crossed because when the wife and I went to Edison to get our FID's (because we moved a few blocks over, gotta love NJ) Daneen told us they were "really backed up" and it was going to "take a long time". If you ask me they're just stalling for new laws to be passed ... SMDH

I don't understand why it takes so long? I have a friend in PA, that says they just call a phone number, provide SS # and DL # and get an answer back in 2 minutes. What's with all this fax stuff and 36 hours? Seems like just more typical NJ delay stuff.

"Mandated by the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act of 1993 and launched by the FBI on November 30, 1998, NICS is used by Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs) to instantly determine whether a prospective buyer is eligible to buy firearms or explosives. Before ringing up the sale, cashiers call in a check to the FBI or to other designated agencies to ensure that each customer does not have a criminal record or isn’t otherwise ineligible to make a purchase."

I don't understand why it takes so long? I have a friend in PA, that says they just call a phone number, provide SS # and DL # and get an answer back in 2 minutes. What's with all this fax stuff and 36 hours? Seems like just more typical NJ delay stuff.

Well, yes it is NJ's fault. Both NJ and PA are what are called POC states. In a POC state an intermediary runs the NICS system and is the point of contact (POC) with the FBI NICS database. In both states that intermediary is the state police. So it becomes a matter of how the state's NICS centers are staffed - how many people? How many incoming lines? How flexible is staffing to meet demands?

Obviously NJ is less willing to make the staffing adjustments to meet the current high demands, and as such we have the long delays everyone is experiencing. PA does a better job. What will really frost you is that most states just have the FFL call the FBI's NICS line directly - no intermediary, no delay and no additional cost (NJ adds $$ - I do not believe that PA does).

That's the story.

Adios,

Pizza Bob