Sign in to follow this  
bubblehead

Saiga-Converted or Unconverted?

Converting is basically changing it from it's imported sporter version into the pistol gripped version. This requires changing out some of the parts with US made parts to be 922r compliant. Basically when imported it's considered 14 parts. Changing out the trigger group and stock should bring it down to 10. It requires drilling out some rivets and moving the trigger forward to allow the pistol grip to be attached.

Mark and Alec had basically the whole shebang for you.

The Saiga 12 and basically the Saiga sporter rifles , are AK's in disguise, they are sporterized (sporter = arms used for sport, like hunting or gaming) with a general hunting type stock and forearm etc. rather than the evil pistol grip (and with a pistol grip comes the standard shoulder stock to go with it).

"Converting" it is for obtaining a pistol grip. In the process of making it into a pistol grip you also need to adjust the Fire Control Group to move forward to make room etc.

Also , with the rifles, "Converting" adds the necessary mechanism and space to use standard, double stacked ,hi capacity usually, AK-47 magazines rather than the factory and proprietary magazines that the Saiga factory uses (and are small capacity and very expensive). This is not really a step in the Saiga 12, they all can hold the mags of the world from 2 rounds to what d othey come, at least 25 round drums, if not more? Its just a legal issue.

(THERE IS A Magazine conversion for Saiga 12s to be fully informative. There is a "magwell" conversion which is an installation that accepts SPECIFIC magwell magazines that you can slam right up in there (aka INSERT vertically right to the gun in the magwell) rather than the standard AK way that all Saigas use, rocking the mag in from the front tip into the back to lock into place. I guess if I had a completely customized absolutely beautiful and awesome Pistol gripped Saiga 12 with a fancy AR stock and pistol grip and forward quad rail with Aimpoint Micro optic or EOTech etc. I might want that but, really, its meh to me. I have bought 17 Saiga 12 mags in te time we got the S12 in October. I am pretty confident I am well armed and well equipped.

Ok hiope my additions to my esteemed colleagues posting and information helped.

Weren't we discussing a Saiga-12, and are we not in the shotgun forums. Come-on guys, stay with the program. NO pistol grips on ANY semi auto shotguns, doesn't matter who made it either.

I wasn't paying attention as to which forum this was posted in as I was going through my unread topics in Tapatalk on my iPhone. I apologize.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk