rt014

NYS CCW, visiting NJ carry question

I live in New York State and have a NYS concealed carry permit, but also visit NJ quite a bit because I'm divorced and my kids live there. I also work frequently on projects in the NYC metro area. Thus I also keep a secondary residence (an apartment) there for overnight stays during the week to accommodate an easier commute to work and kids.

Up till now, I don't take the handgun to NJ. However, I called a shooting range in NJ and they said that as long as I had a permit to carry for NYS, I could use the range in NJ. It would be handy to be able to get some additional practice in when in NJ.

Obviously I can't CCW in NJ (it's almost impossible to get one). The question is am I legal to have the gun at the apartment in NJ for the period of time when visiting there? I also know that when traveling to the shooting range, the gun must be unloaded, not accessible, separated from ammo, etc. From what I can tell it appears that I'd only be legal if literally traveling uninterrupted 'through' NJ or from or to a shooting match/event in NJ.

Thanks - The guys at GlockTalk.Forum sent me over...not sure if this is the best section for this question.

If the apartment a legit second residence you can transport and keep the gun there.

You can transport a handgun to a range in NJ from anywhere but that's to and from range only.

To add to this, if the apartment is in NJ you can transport the handgun directly between the range and the apartment.

You can apply for NJ non resident FID card. That will help legalize your handgun possession in NJ home as well as to and from range transport.

I am in opposite situation, I can't take my gun to My summer NY house, because NY does not recognize out of state permits.

I live in New York State and have a NYS concealed carry permit, but also visit NJ quite a bit because I'm divorced and my kids live there. I

If the apartment,range, or route of travel is anywhere near the Ex's house, fogetaboutit! I am not saying you have any intent but the legal system will work against you even if completely innocent.... just my take.

You can apply for NJ non resident FID card.  That will help legalize your handgun possession in NJ home as well as to and from range transport.  

I am in opposite situation, I can't take my gun to My summer NY house, because NY does not recognize out of state permits.

An NJ FID card has nothing to do with handguns whatsoever.

If the apartment,range, or route of travel is anywhere near the Ex's house, fogetaboutit! I am not saying you have any intent but the legal system will work against you even if completely innocent.... just my take.

Wow...... talking about making a criminal out of an innocent guy.....

This has nothing to do with what he asked.....

I'm not too concerned about this. The New York State Police have already checked me out completely....including talking to my ex wife :-) It's unreal how extensive the checks are there.

MIPAFOX - From some other research it does seem that the FID isn't necessary in the scenario I'm talking about. It is more for purchases of firearms and ammo.

If the apartment a legit second residence you can transport and keep the gun there.

You can transport a handgun to a range in NJ from anywhere but that's to and from range only.

This is exactly the answer I was hoping for. Can anyone else validate this?

I'm not too concerned about this. The New York State Police have already checked me out completely....including talking to my ex wife :-) It's unreal how extensive the checks are there.

MIPAFOX - From some other research it does seem that the FID isn't necessary in the scenario I'm talking about. It is more for purchases of firearms and ammo.

Correct..... as long as your name is on the lease of the NJ residence ..... you are good to go with what you are planning to do....

When coming from NY to NJ and NJ back to NY, you must transport the handgun in accordance with FOPA and not NJ law, or NY law specifically. The caveat to this is that in order to do so legally, I don't know how NY works, but on the NJ side of things, you must be going to a place where you can legally possess it, meaning your apartment or the shooting range (based on your scenario). Once at one of those places, unless you plan to go back to NY, you would then transport in accordance with NJ state law. Odd and stupid yes. So that slightly changes the storage requirements (it actually makes it less strict, believe it or not), but does mean again, you must go directly to or from your apartment and the range, no unreasonable deviations (whatever you take that to mean), etc.

But yes, you CAN have the firearm at both a shooting range, and your apartment.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice.

Does NJ allow transportation of a handgun between residences outside of the exception of moving? I wasn't aware of that. Thanks in advance.

My opinion, yes! If you own two homes or have two homes leased/rented you can transport your firearms directly between both of them. You can also transport it directly to/from your place of business.

I know about to/from place of business. Can you show me the exception in the law for transporting between residences, not including moving? Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure to be honest, however that is not applicable in the OP's situation specifically, because NJ transportation laws do not apply. What does apply is whether or not his residence is a lawful place to have a firearm. One's residence certainly is.

No Permit to Carry or FID is required:

To keep or carry any firearm about a person's place of business, residence, premises, or other land owned or possessed by him; a place of business shall be deemed a fixed location.

To carry any firearm "unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported, and the course of travel shall include only such deviations as are reasonably necessary under the circumstances" from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair.

Take it to mean what you want, but I interpret it to mean you can transport a firearm legally to and from any of those above mentioned exempted locations. If not, how in the world could you ever transport a firearm to "land owned or possessed" by you, as that is not specifically mentioned in the very next sentence on transportation after it said it was a legal place to have one? My guess is because it is worded sloppily.

Correct..... as long as your name is on the lease of the NJ residence ..... you are good to go with what you are planning to do....

I don't think your name needs to be on the lease. If you stay at the apt in NJ on say Mon-Thurs on a regular basis whether you have your own bedroom, sleep on the sofa, or in the bathtub it is one of your residences. If your kids own the apartment and your name doesn't appear on anything but you stay there regularly it still is one of your residences. Having a financial responsibility does reinforce your residency but is not a requirement.

Actually with NY laws he might be better off keeping his guns in NJ. Never thought you'd hear that did ya?

Yes it is ironic:

NY: CCW issued; Registration required to own handguns and listed on your permit card

NJ: CCW nearly impossible; no registration to own handguns