Howard

NJ gun laws to share with your leftist friends

The following was in the online blog http://bridgewater.patch.com/blog_posts/purchasing-a-firearm-in-nj#comments_list and is a great primer to send to all your friends and politicians that are anti-gun and probably have no clue what restrictions we already face:

I have been listening and participating in the Gun debate ever since it started and decided to write this little article after encountering many people who do not understand the gun laws in the state of New Jersey.

Most people I spoke with seemed to think that anybody could simply walk into a gun store in NJ and purchase a firearm! Some people understand that there is some sort of control governing that process but not sure of what it entails.

Here is a step by step break down of the process every NJ resident has to follow in order to be eligible to purchase a firearm:

1-You must apply for a "Firearm ID card" which you will need every time you purchase a firearm. In order to do so you will need to obtain an application package from your local "Township or Police station"

2-The application contains multiple forms that all must be completed "but not signed" before being submitted.

3-Each applicant must fill the forms and agree to a background check of his/her MENTAL RECORDS.

4-Each applicant must be finger printed and his prints sent to the FBI for approval.

5-Each applicant must provide the names and addresses of two acquaintances that could vouch for his/her character "Both will be contacted by the police and asked to fill a questioner about the character of the applicant.

6-Each applicant must provide his/her work contacts and "usually" the police contacts his/her supervisor and inform them about the applicant's intentions to purchase a firearm and inquire about his/her character.

7-Once all forms had been filled; they need to be signed before the person whom handles this process at your town/police department.

8-It, usually, takes anywhere between one month up to one year before you get a response back.

9-The Firearm ID card "Once issued" is valid only for purchasing "LONG" Firearms such as: rifles and shotguns.

10-Each time you need to purchase a firearm from a gun store you need to fill another application at the store and they will contact the "NICS" (which stands for the National Instant Criminal Background Check System) and charge you $15 for the process and wait to be approved for the purchase. Basically going over the process once again!

11-When purchasing a handgun, a person must apply for a separate permit for each handgun "Going through the original process each time"

12-Each handgun permit is valid for only one hand gun purchase and valid for 90 days and could, only, be renewed for another 90 days.

13-In the State of NJ residents can purchase one handgun per month only unless they obtain a special permit from the authorities.

14-A handgun permit is made up of 4 copies and upon the purchase of a hand gun the seller is responsible to sending one copy to the issuing authority.

The above is the process for purchasing firearms in the state in NJ. We are considered one of the strictest states in the country when it comes to Firearms. Those people that seek to impose more restrictions need to educate themselves firsthand before demanding even more regulations that basically are already in place.

I find it very interesting that the majority of those who seek to impose bans on firearms do not own any guns or even had ever fired one.

It would be as if I advocate the banning of Minivans even though I do not own one, never driven one and don't know much about them in the first place.

We do not have to be so radical about each side of the issue. I believe that we could work together for the protection of both innocent people and the second Amendment. But we need to educate ourselves first and be reasonable at all times.

Your list is good and overwhelms a listener. The only words I would stray from using is "we don't have to be so radical about each side of the issue" you are implying that the Pro side is just as "radical" as the anti. In my opinion, there is nothing radical about supporting 2A, it's constitutional.

It would be like saying "I'm all for equality, but the 19th amendment might be a little too radical...do all women really need to vote??"

There isn't right and left, there is only right and wrong. The second amendment should be defended as a universal truth and right of the people. Use that overwhelming list to demonstrate there is already too much, and leave it at that. It also makes it seem like you are fighting for a stalemate "we have enough laws, we don't need more" and then implying both sides are radical implies the status quo might be OK, when I am sure many would like to see our antiquated paper system updated to something more modern and efficient, and ultimately an end to the justifiable need clause for carrying

edited a few stylistic points

Gonna borrow this.......

Good, that is why I posted it. I loved one of the comments someone made: "This just in. Ruger is coming out with a new pistol in honor of Obama. It will be called the "Union Worker." It doesn't work and you can't fire it."

Your list is good and overwhelms a listener. The only words I would stray from using is "we don't have to be so radical about each side of the issue" you are implying that the Pro side is just as "radical" as the anti. In my opinion, there is nothing radical about supporting 2A, it's constitutional.

It would be like saying "I'm all for equality, but the 19th amendment might be a little too radical...do all women really need to vote??"

There isn't right and left, there is only right and wrong. The second amendment should be defended as a universal truth and right of the people. Use that overwhelming list to demonstrate there is already too much, and leave it at that. It also makes it seem like you are fighting for a stalemate "we have enough laws, we don't need more" implies the status quo is OK, when I am sure many would like to see our antiquated paper system updated to something more modern and efficient, and ultimately an end to the justifiable need clause for carrying

Good point. This was presented as is and are not my ideas or approach, I agree with your comment.

"2-The application contains multiple forms that all must be completed "but not signed" before being submitted."

In my township the only form that must be signed in the presence of the detective accepting your application is the mental health background check consent.

"9-The Firearm ID card "Once issued" is valid only for purchasing "LONG" Firearms such as: rifles and shotguns."

The FPID is also required to purchase handgun caliber ammunition.

"12-Each handgun permit is valid for only one hand gun purchase and valid for 90 days and could, only, be renewed for another 90 days."

Renewal is done at the discretion of the issuing authority.

Some minor quibbles in the interest of accuracy. Good list, though.

1-You must apply for a "Firearm ID card" which you will need every time you purchase a firearm. In order to do so you will need to obtain an application package from your local "Township or Police station"

http://www.njsp.org/info/forms.html#firearms

I've actually explained the process for purchasing a firearm and how drawn out it is and how long it can take. The response I got was "So? You get your guns eventually, right?" and "My niece just got her's and she didn't complain." I've countered both and get ridiculous responses back. I've even said "So it's ok to delay a right as long as you get it eventually?", to which they say "With guns, yes." I've found that they're not interested in facts or real arguments, just that we're restricted.

that is a good depiction of how aggravating that process is. i've shared a lot of nj laws with my leftist friend. he used to be very anti gun but since he's had a kid he's come around JUST a little bit.

unfortunately he still agrees with the FID process and pistol permits. he also thinks the 15 round mag cap is "reasonable, otherwise you'd end up having guys defending their homes with an AK-47". i facepalmed and haven't been able to convince him how stupid an argument that was.

he DOES however think its absolutely ridiculous that they restrict the flash hiders, threaded barrels, pistol grips, adjustable stocks and bayonet lugs. he actually said this about the bayo lugs: "let me get this straight, they want to keep you from putting a knife on the end of a thing that bullets come out of?"

i'm still working on him.. when time allows i am going to see if he wants to come to the range with me.

This by itself shows just how stupid assault weapons bans are. I could not have said it better myself.

Yup, but it is OK to have a knife or a sword in your left hand while holding the gun in your right hand :)

Thanks to the OP and original author.

I have taken the liberty to edit the document. Please continue to fact check it and more eloquently compose the end statements.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I have been listening and participating in the Gun debate ever since it started and decided to write this little article after encountering many people who do not understand the gun laws in the state of New Jersey.

Most people I spoke with seemed to think that anybody could simply walk into a gun store in NJ and purchase a firearm! Some people understand that there is some sort of control governing that process but not sure of what it entails.

Here is a step by step break down of the process every NJ resident has to follow in order to be eligible to purchase a firearm:

2-The application contains multiple forms that all must be completed "but not signed" before being submitted.

3-Each applicant must fill the forms and agree to a background check of his/her MENTAL RECORDS.

4-Each applicant must be finger printed and his prints sent to the FBI for approval.

5-Each applicant must provide the names and addresses of two acquaintances that could vouch for his/her character "Both will be contacted by the police and asked to fill a questioner about the character of the applicant.

6-Each applicant must provide his/her work contacts and "usually" the police contacts his/her supervisor and inform them about the applicant's intentions to purchase a firearm and inquire about his/her character.

7-Once all forms had been filled; they need to be signed. The mental health background check consent.form must be signed in the presence of the detective accepting your application since it consents for overriding your HIPPA protection.

8-It, usually, takes anywhere between one month up to one year before you get a response back.

9-The Firearm ID card "Once issued" is valid only for purchasing "LONG" Firearms such as: rifles and shotguns as well as to purchase handgun caliber ammunition. A permit to purchase (P2P) is required for any handgun.

10-Each time you need to purchase a firearm from a gun store you need to fill another application at the store and they will contact the "NICS" (which stands for the National Instant Criminal Background Check System) and charge you $15 for the process and wait to be approved for the purchase. Basically going over the process once again!

11-When purchasing a handgun, a person must apply for a separate permit for each handgun "Going through the original process each time"

12-Each handgun permit is valid for only one hand gun purchase and valid for 90 days and could, only, be renewed for another 90 days at the discretion of the issuing authority.

13-In the State of NJ residents can purchase one handgun per month only unless they obtain a special permit from the authorities.

14-A handgun permit is made up of 4 copies and upon the purchase of a hand gun the seller is responsible to sending one copy to the issuing authority.

The above is the process for purchasing firearms in the state in NJ. We are considered one of the strictest states in the country when it comes to Firearms.

People that seek to impose more restrictions need to educate themselves firsthand before demanding even more regulations that basically are already in place.

I find it very interesting that the majority of those who seek to impose bans on firearms do not own any guns or even had ever fired one.

It would be as if I advocate the banning of Minivans even though I do not own one, never driven one and don't know much about them in the first place.

I believe that we could work together for the protection of both innocent people and the second Amendment. However, we need to educate ourselves first and be reasonable at all times.

4a - In order to do accomplish this you will need to pay a separate fee ($58 ?) ,make an appointment with an agency such as Morpho, and travel to one of their sites in NJ. Needs fact checking.....

There's a great youtube video that highlights the how crazy NJ gun laws are. I know for a fact people that I talk to that are "anti" gun or "against guns" have no idea what that it's a such a long process in NJ. Most of them probably think you walk into a gun shop and walk out with a gun.

"14-A handgun permit is made up of 4 copies and upon the purchase of a hand gun the seller is responsible to sending one copy to the issuing authority. "

...a second copy is sent to the NJ state police ( in essence registering the hand gun with the state) and both the seller and purchaser keep a copy.

You guys are crazy for doing all that crap to get a gun. I just roll into Camden with cash and roll out with a gat. No background checks. No paper, just a few bennies.

Disclaimer: above is a joke.