Bbott

PPQ or P30 - 9MM

Just to add a little clarity to my statements, I do not worry about the trigger in terms of control. After all Im a 1911 guy :D But I do shoot some combat oriented matches and combat oriented train ups and I do have concerns for the PPQ in this type of environment. I worry about doing an eyes on danger area re holster to go hands on and catching that trigger on a buckle or gear.

So funny this thread was made yesterday as I was going to make the same one today. I've held the P30 in my hands and it feels really nice. The grip is awesome.

Right now I own a p229 in .40 and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on owning both striker fired and DA/SA hammer fired pistols. Is it difficult to become accustomed to both? Wondering if I should stick to one or the other at this point which would make the p30 an ideal choice for me.

I have a P226 (DA/SA) as well as the PPQ. Becoming accustomed to the Striker Fired trigger is very easy.. Consistent trigger pull each time. Once you are used to it you may find yourself wondering why you have a DA/SA :-)

I compete in IDPA with my Sig however enjoy the PPQ a lot. I have no issues with switching between them

TheWombat

Both are good guns but also different.

PPQ is a striker fired gun. P30 is a Hammer DA/SA

Build quality... HK by far. The P30, I love the L long slide models are fantastic. Uber reliable.... and by that I mean thousands upon thousands of rounds. The trigger does need work, the Pre-travel in Single Action is horribly long and the reset can use a tad bit of work. (although unless you are a 1911 fanboy..... this will mean absolutely nothing to you)

The PPQ.... is a nice Glock Alternative, however I must say, the short reset thing is a pile of marketing crap. FN FNS, Caracals and ANY 1911 will have a nicer shorter reset. Secondly... it is a strike fired gun.

Now keep in mind, there are two versions, PPQ 1 and PPQ2.

PPQ1 was the first to come out and had the traditional Walther/HK mag release.

For the new one... they went with a regular mag release, which I feel is a bit too big, and protrudes out a tad much. Because of this... the Magazines ARE NOT interchangeable, and as such, the market for them will be limited. I believe holsters and all are different too. Have to go through my Walther Media notes from shot show.

Btw, the whole high bore axis thing... bunch of malarkey. =), practically speaking, 95% of the shooters will not notice a bit of a difference, and for Team HK, it matters not. Its the shooter not the gun. JJ Racaza placed top 5 at USPSA nationals with a STOCK Caracal with only modification being a fiber optic sight. Team HK for the first few years shot stock P30's and USP Experts.

HK P30L for the win.... if you want something striker fired like the Walther, Also consider:

FN FNS (now will be out with a long slide), American Made, and will have a lot of after market support, cheaper mags typically, nice trigger and great ergonomics.

Caracal F - Take the PPQ and make it better all around.... Low bore axis, even better stock trigger out of the box. Only problem for some may be that it is made in the Middle East in the UAE.

Glock 17 - yes yes, I went there. cheap accessories and everything galore. They support the shooting community, and opened up a US factory to produce glocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Shane... I played with the new guns at Shot Show and could not replicate the problem any more.

None of the team FN shooters I spoke with had issues with it either. and these guys shoot more rounds down range with these guns than anyone else.

Will ask Dave Sevigny again though.

I am an HK fan. I have held but not shot the P30. I carry a P2000SK with a LEM trigger. I will tell you upfront that all my handguns have hammers. I am old fashioned when it comes to that. I also like SA or DA triggers, not in combination though. I like the LEM trigger, long but light takeup and then a point of resistance and bang. I just relax my finger and it naturally goes to the reset point although I do not favor using a trigger reset for self defensive purposes, especially if, like me, you carry different guns with different trigger resets points and DA revolvers which do not have trigger resets.

Personally I only have handguns with hammers and they are either SA or DAO. I tried about 12 striker fired guns and never took to them. When I bought my last HK I was tempted by the P30 greatly but I needed a sub compact carry gun that held more rounds than the 5 pocket guns I own so I went with the P2000SK. The only Walther PPK I ever owned was a PPK as a young man who loved James Bond novels and subsequent movies. They are not very popular around here so I have no first hand experience with them. I do know that this year Walther ended their relationship wtih S&W and are coming out with a few new models that may be worth a look. However my favorite semi autos are HK's as they shoot soft and are not as heavy as Sigs. I also like the LEM trigger over the DAK.

What did you do to try and replicate the issue?

Try to push the trigger forward of where it resets, as per the threads on the FN forums. Don't recall the others.... Same issue we are talking about? Once trigger pushed forward, it would lock up the slide.

I have a P226 (DA/SA) as well as the PPQ. Becoming accustomed to the Striker Fired trigger is very easy.. Consistent trigger pull each time. Once you are used to it you may find yourself wondering why you have a DA/SA :-)

I compete in IDPA with my Sig however enjoy the PPQ a lot. I have no issues with switching between them

TheWombat

Good to know. Thanks.

I have a Walther P99 and it is also a great gun with a sweet trigger. I have never fired the HK but I have handled the P30 and to me the gun felt identical to the Walther's. I have heard some complaints about the P30's trigger not being so good but for me this is subjective to each shooter. I do believe the Walther's are a better value because the HK carry a premium price tag.