Combat Auto

S&W Governer

Anyone have one, shoot one, or heard anything good or bad about the S&W Governer? It can shoot 45 acp as well as two other types of amo (one being shot of some sort)...(I stock tons of 45 acp for my autos so this is a big plus for me).

I just got my last 3 (of 6) permits renewed and it would be ashame to let one go to waste - although I feel accumulating all these pistols in such a short time is like a drug habbit...

Two of the permits are locked into semi-autos, but I have a new respect for revolvers after shooting my 629 44 mag last week...So my last permit "must" be anothert revolver - the Governer if I can find one in 6 weeks or so.

If you like your model 629, you will love a model 625. My opinion is that the Governor and Judge are solutions looking for a problem.

Find a 625, you can thank me later.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's a cool pistol, trigger DA pull is about 18 lbs(exaggerating) , takes alot to spin that big hunk of steel.

IMO it doesnt serve any other purpose then a fun range toy, you really wont see them in competition, & IMO little big for a CCW.

I'll back up Bob's recommendation of a 625, great well rounded gun you can use in multiple disciplines, and wonderful to shoot.

-Alec

Bob, Alec, I did notice that one too because of the 45 acp...These are the two 625s on S&W sight...It reads as if they are tuned which is great...What is up with the grips though the JM looks nice and "woody" but slipery, on the other one, can't tell but looks slippery (I know I can change them though).

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765645_-1_757896_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

If you like your model 629, you will love a model 625. My opinion is that the Governor and Judge are solutions looking for a problem.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

It's a cool pistol, trigger DA pull is about 18 lbs(exaggerating) , takes alot to spin that big hunk of steel.

IMO it doesnt serve any other purpose then a fun range toy, you really wont see them in competition, & IMO little big for a CCW.

I'll back up Bob's recommendation of a 625, great well rounded gun you can use in multiple disciplines, and wonderful to shoot.

-Alec

Bob, Alec, I did notice that one too because of the 45 acp...These are the two 625s on S&W sight...It reads as if they are tuned which is great...What is up with the grips though the JM looks nice and "woody" but slipery, on the other one, can't tell but looks slippery (I know I can change them though).

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product4_750001_750051_765645_-1_757896_757751_757751_ProductDisplayErrorView_Y

The Jerry Mickuek style grips are ok for some people, personally I do not like them and prefer a larger grip.

There has been a variaty of 625's made throughout the years ( bob could educate you on this one ! ) Ranging from 2" to 5"

The most popular models would be the 4" and 5". I personally like the 5" barrels the best - but it wouldnt be allowed in IDPA. If you'd like to do both uspsa and idpa with the same 625 go 4"

Now, as far as which ' shoots better ' as far as being tuned up, I feel is negligible. IMO they will shoot about the same.They're smith and wessons of course! PC or Non, most the revolvers I own have modifications on the trigger job, either full competition trigger jobs, or just stoning out the internals to smooth them out.

If your going to do any sort of trigger work to it, buy what you can afford, if it's a PC version - so be it.

I like to stick with the Houge Wooden Grips, ( Big Butt specifically ) but you put on whatever is comfortable for you.

the 625 is aanice looking gun too. I agree that the governor is more of an hd or range toy. No real competition value but sure looks fun. I have also.been toying with the idea of instead of just the governor getting a taurus poly protector and a 625 separate

Grips are really immaterial. It is one of the least expensive components, that can have the largest impact on firearm "feel" - which, of course affects how well you shoot it. My 625PC was pre-clown grips of the current model, and were actual Hogues, just like the JM's. Current 625PC's grips are two-piece and made by Altamont, I believe.

The 625 has been around since late 1987/early 1988 and the first ones were 5" full underlug barreled versions with ramp front sights. They are rollmarked on the barrel "Model of 1988". They are a bit of a mystery to the authors of the S&W bible. I special ordered mine as soon as I read about them in American Handgunner in 1987. The following year they became the "Model of 1989" and it was laser etched on the barrel rather than rollmarked. Then, as Alec pointed out, there were all manner of variations ranging from 3" barrels (some of the most desireable) to 4", to 5". JM versions and PC versions. There are also 625's chambered in .45 Colt - about the only instance that I can think of where a model came in two different calibers - usually each caliber would have a unique model number. They did the same to stainless guns predecessors - the model 25. The .45 ACP versions of the 25 only came in 6.5" or 6" barrels, while the .45 Colt was available in all the usual S&W barrel lengths, up to the 8 3/8" model.

Sorry, enough S&W history.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

The Jerry Mickuek style grips are ok for some people, personally I do not like them and prefer a larger grip.

There has been a variaty of 625's made throughout the years ( bob could educate you on this one ! ) Ranging from 2" to 5"

The most popular models would be the 4" and 5". I personally like the 5" barrels the best - but it wouldnt be allowed in IDPA. If you'd like to do both uspsa and idpa with the same 625 go 4"

Now, as far as which ' shoots better ' as far as being tuned up, I feel is negligible. IMO they will shoot about the same.They're smith and wessons of course! PC or Non, most the revolvers I own have modifications on the trigger job, either full competition trigger jobs, or just stoning out the internals to smooth them out.

If your going to do any sort of trigger work to it, buy what you can afford, if it's a PC version - so be it.

I like to stick with the Houge Wooden Grips, ( Big Butt specifically ) but you put on whatever is comfortable for you.

thanks Alec great info...You and Bob sold me on the 625...Will be looking in a few weeks, the FFLs don't like them sitting around too long (permit timing deal)...And the Governer will be the back-up plan which will still make me happy according to other posts.

Grips are really immaterial. It is one of the least expensive components, that can have the largest impact on firearm "feel" - which, of course affects how well you shoot it. My 625PC was pre-clown grips of the current model, and were actual Hogues, just like the JM's. Current 625PC's grips are two-piece and made by Altamont, I believe.

The 625 has been around since late 1987/early 1988 and the first ones were 5" full underlug barreled versions with ramp front sights. They are rollmarked on the barrel "Model of 1988". They are a bit of a mystery to the authors of the S&W bible. I special ordered mine as soon as I read about them in American Handgunner in 1987. The following year they became the "Model of 1989" and it was laser etched on the barrel rather than rollmarked. Then, as Alec pointed out, there were all manner of variations ranging from 3" barrels (some of the most desireable) to 4", to 5". JM versions and PC versions. There are also 625's chambered in .45 Colt - about the only instance that I can think of where a model came in two different calibers - usually each caliber would have a unique model number. They did the same to stainless guns predecessors - the model 25. The .45 ACP versions of the 25 only came in 6.5" or 6" barrels, while the .45 Colt was available in all the usual S&W barrel lengths, up to the 8 3/8" model.

Sorry, enough S&W history.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

as always thansks Bob - 625 it is (Governer as backup plan)

thanks Alec great info...You and Bob sold me on the 625...Will be looking in a few weeks, the FFLs don't like them sitting around too long (permit timing deal)...And the Governer will be the back-up plan which will still make me happy according to other posts.

look no further, http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=169101

already set up for competition, worked over by a well known and respected gunsmith.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Excuse me? What other gun has more uses? NONE

I had one (needed money for AR, otherwise I would've kept it) and I have the Taurus Public Defender. Nothing wrong with 6 rounds of 45 long colt, or 45 acp, or 45 gap (they work too), or 410 buck to handle personal defense or concealed carry.

I had one (needed money for AR, otherwise I would've kept it) and I have the Taurus Public Defender. Nothing wrong with 6 rounds of 45 long colt, or 45 acp, or 45 gap (they work too), or 410 buck to handle personal defense or concealed carry.

I'll have to agree totally with R2 on this one :B:):

You sold yours