I have to give an opinion. We need to refrain from yelling and shouting while the antis speak. It doesn't help. Yes, I know the lies they perpetrate can be unbearable to hear, but all the other side sees and hears are a bunch of people that can't control their emotions, therefore how can they be trusted with a gun?

It's unfair, it's frustrating, but we can't shout at them while they have the floor. We have to methodically refute them when it's the proper time to speak

I agree 100% any shouting simply works against us. First impressions are very important with this issue.

I don't really like these ethical culture societies all that much. Not so much because they are usually atheist (I don't mind atheists, in fact some of my best friends are atheist) but because they believe that individual freedom gets in the way of their vision of a perfect society. So I think arguing freedom with them is pointless. What we do need to do is drown them out. Freedom is the better way, not societal perfection.

ahh!!! i would have make it if i would know about it earlier!! I have 3 speeches that are ready to be delivered to those ^&$%&%$!

Mods,

let's set up separate section for Alerts, this way we can subscribe to Alerts section and receive instant emails.

ahh!!! i would have make it if i would know about it earlier!! I have 3 speeches that are ready to be delivered to those ^&$%&%$!

Mods,

let's set up separate section for Alerts, this way we can subscribe to Alerts section and receive instant emails.

+1

would also be good to receive text messages to.

The Ethical Culture Society was founded in the late 19th or early 20th centure by a Reform Rabbi. It is a fairly small group. However, it's views permeate "liberal" denominations of Judaism and Christianity. For example, Reform and Conservative Jewish groups invariably adopt the same far-left, progressive agenda and claim that is consistent with Jewish values (it isn't). Similarly, many mainline Protestant denominations adopt left-wing social and political positions. They're all pretty much the same in their views and equally well-intentioned but misguided.

I have to give an opinion. We need to refrain from yelling and shouting while the antis speak. It doesn't help. Yes, I know the lies they perpetrate can be unbearable to hear, but all the other side sees and hears are a bunch of people that can't control their emotions, therefore how can they be trusted with a gun?

It's unfair, it's frustrating, but we can't shout at them while they have the floor. We have to methodically refute them when it's the proper time to speak

Normally I would agree.

the proper response to outrage is to be outraged.

If the actions of our politicians aren't so extreme that yelling at them is appropriate, then how extreme do their actions have to be?

they acknowledged the presence of more than 1000 protesters by scheduling a vote 23 anti-gun owner bills. they acknowledged the 500 or more protesters by saying "we'll hear your comments after we vote"

I don't know how how much more clear they could make it that they are not going to listen to us speak nicely.

to my mind (to my mind only it seems) the time for shouting has come

Normally I would agree.

the proper response to outrage is to be outraged.

If the actions of our politicians aren't so extreme that yelling at them is appropriate, then how extreme do their actions have to be?

they acknowledged the presence of more than 1000 protesters by scheduling a vote 23 anti-gun owner bills. they acknowledged the 500 or more protesters by saying "we'll hear your comments after we vote"

I don't know how how much more clear they could make it that they are not going to listen to us speak nicely.

to my mind (to my mind only it seems) the time for shouting has come

Were you there at the Ethical Society forum?

I was. I can assure you it hurt us more than it helped. I didn't say that as a blanket statement, I meant it specifically in regards to the way this meeting transpired. I am not talking about the trenton hearing which is a completely different context in which people were denied the ability to speak (I was there too).

Our audience was not the statists on the panel at the front of the room in Teaneck. The intended audience was the 50% of the room that was for the legislation. When someone spoke quietly and calmly to them, we had their undivided attention and they answered questions given to them sincerely. When people started berating others, they then also responded with yelling. It just makes you look bitter, and it makes them think further "i can't believe this maniac has a gun. he's scary".

You have to consider who the audience is and what the most effective way of communicating with them is