jdubsss

Sig P229 - Failure to Feed

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but was hoping someone could give me some insight.

Have about 1500-2000 rounds through my p229 chambered in .40 and have yet to have any malfunctions of any kind. It has run flawlessly up until tonight when I was at the range. I shot 150 rounds and had 2 failures to feed, but the slide locked all the way to the rear on both occasions. Anyone have any idea what could have caused that? I'm wondering if I just accidentally hit the slide lock and caught it on the way back or if there's something else I should consider.

Thanks

well its pretty hard to give advice without knowing more info.

was the gun clean when you went to the range?

is this a new gun with only the round count mentioned about?

sounds like its a little dirty and you hit the slide lock. If it was a mag issue, it would tend to not lock back after the last round.

well its pretty hard to give advice without knowing more info.

was the gun clean when you went to the range?

is this a new gun with only the round count mentioned about?

sounds like its a little dirty and you hit the slide lock. If it was a mag issue, it would tend to not lock back after the last round.

Gun was clean and well lubed. I try to clean it after every time I shoot.

Bought the gun new so like I said only 1500-2000 rounds through it.

Now that you mention it, my last time out the slide wouldn't lock back after the last round 2-3 times. Is that dirty and/or crappy magazines? That happened with the Mecgar mags I managed to pick up recently.

well, I use mecgar mags and have no issues with them. That being said, if your mags are used, then that could be the issue. If they are new, is it every mag or the same mag all the time?

Your grip or lack thereof could also play a role.

This is just my thoughts and if I'm wrong please correct me. I thought that with dirty mags the follower might get jammed up not allowing the bullet to come up allowing the mag to catch the slide and lock it back.

is it possible? yes but I have shot sigs with mags that have had a lot of rounds through them. Springs really well used and not had issues. Not saying that's not the case here.

Not sure from your description. Are you having FTFs and slide lock issues or slide lock issues causing FTFs? I assume you're the one that sent all or most of the lead down range and have not been experimenting on a new grip or hold. How detailed do you clean your gun? There might be crud building up between the slide lock and frame or maybe a broken slide catch lever spring.

Take off the slide and feed a mag in the frame empty, with 1rd and 2rd. See if the slide lock moves smoothly up when empty. With the 1 rd or 2rd, see if the bullet or follower is contacting the slide lock to be pushed up. If the slide lock doesn't spring back after removing the mag, then definitely look into detail stripping the frame insert and check the spring if it's too light or broken.

If you're having slide lock issues, that's what I'd look for.

well, I use mecgar mags and have no issues with them. That being said, if your mags are used, then that could be the issue. If they are new, is it every mag or the same mag all the time?

Your grip or lack thereof could also play a role.

The mecgars were new when I got them and honestly this could have been their first time out. Haven't been keeping track of which ones I've used before.

I've recently changed my grip, so that could be a factor possibly. I'm certain I'm not limp wristing or anything like that. Might just have to be more mindful of where my right thumb is going.

Not sure from your description. Are you having FTFs and slide lock issues or slide lock issues causing FTFs? I assume you're the one that sent all or most of the lead down range and have not been experimenting on a new grip or hold. How detailed do you clean your gun? There might be crud building up between the slide lock and frame or maybe a broken slide catch lever spring.

Take off the slide and feed a mag in the frame empty, with 1rd and 2rd. See if the slide lock moves smoothly up when empty. With the 1 rd or 2rd, see if the bullet or follower is contacting the slide lock to be pushed up. If the slide lock doesn't spring back after removing the mag, then definitely look into detail stripping the frame insert and check the spring if it's too light or broken.

If you're having slide lock issues, that's what I'd look for.

I think it's a slide lock issuing causing FTF the more I think about it. Like I said in the OP, the slide was locked back both times it occurred today. I've been using a new grip for the last 500 rounds or so, but have never experienced this issue. Every time I clean my gun it's a basic field strip. I haven't detail stripped my gun yet.

I'll try your suggestions and report back. Thanks

Edit: The slide lock moves smoothly with an empty mag. With 1 or 2 rounds nothing contacts the slide lock at all.

That's cool. I figured I'd share my thoughts since you chimed in and I noticed you were a Sig and Glock Armorer. Figured you might know a thing or two.

I really think its either a dirty gun or grip issue. I don't think it has anything to do with a dirty mag. Have dropped sig mags at cj and had all crud in them. Just blew the off and carried on.

Do you use the thumbs up or forward grip? Sometimes Ihave to be careful on my P226 when my right hand thumb grazes the slide lock lever after a shot and holds the slide back. Pic of how you grip the pistol? WOuldnt hurt to clean the hell out of the pistol and the mags as well if you never have.

I also have a P229 in 40 cal. and have had numerous problems with rounds failing to feed. The fired shell ejects but the next round jams on an angle while reloading in the chamber. I purchased the gun new about 3 or 4 years ago and had issues out of the box. I ran about 600 rounds though it over a 1 year period and got tired of the misfeeds so I sent it back to Sig who said there was nothing wrong with it but did polish the ramp. I went to the range about 2 times over a 2 year period after it was to sig and it continued to misfeed once in a while but seemed to happen after about 60 rounds. I took it apart, cleaned and lubricated it and went to the range last December, same problem again. Went back to the range last weekend and it misfeed on the first shot. Out of 50 rounds it jammed on me about 5 times, two others fired off a mag. and it also jammed on them. Got so sick of it I called Sig and paid $55 to ship it back, just dropped it off at Fed Ex this morning. I told the rep at Sig if you find nothing wrong with it I'm getting rid of it and will never buy another Sig product. I'm using Sig magazine and Federal 180 gr. ammo. Extremely disappointed in the product, I spoken to others who love the P229 and never had an issue.

I also have a P229 in 40 cal. and have had numerous problems with rounds failing to feed. The fired shell ejects but the next round jams on an angle while reloading in the chamber. I purchased the gun new about 3 or 4 years ago and had issues out of the box. I ran about 600 rounds though it over a 1 year period and got tired of the misfeeds so I sent it back to Sig who said there was nothing wrong with it but did polish the ramp. I went to the range about 2 times over a 2 year period after it was to sig and it continued to misfeed once in a while but seemed to happen after about 60 rounds. I took it apart, cleaned and lubricated it and went to the range last December, same problem again. Went back to the range last weekend and it misfeed on the first shot. Out of 50 rounds it jammed on me about 5 times, two others fired off a mag. and it also jammed on them. Got so sick of it I called Sig and paid $55 to ship it back, just dropped it off at Fed Ex this morning. I told the rep at Sig if you find nothing wrong with it I'm getting rid of it and will never buy another Sig product. I'm using Sig magazine and Federal 180 gr. ammo. Extremely disappointed in the product, I spoken to others who love the P229 and never had an issue.

Have you tried letting someone else shoot it to see if the same thing happens? Maybe try different mags. Also, I'd send a box of the same ammo that's been giving you issues to Sig for testing.

I would have somebody else shoot the gun. I have the same gun and your welcome to meet up with me and do a head to head test with both guns.

He said two others fired off a mag at the same session. Its the gun, not the shooter.

I guess but if all of the shooters are not sig owners and have a poor grip, then that idea doesn't help. Either way I wish him well.

I know it's been a while but I sent my P229 back to Sig and the work order said the following:

The slide catch lever has been modified by source outside of Sig Sauer.

Replaced the slide catch lever.

Polished the locking insert, the feed ramp, and the chamber.

Replaced the damaged extractor.

I've owned this pistol since new, I removed the plastic it was wrapped in from Sig. No one but Sig has touched this gun. It was sent back to them once before for the same jamming issue and they said there was nothing wrong with it, I doubt they inspected it and didn't have a jam while test firing it.

On a positive note, I fired 50 rounds of 185 grain and 20 rounds of 165 grain and it worked flawlessly for the first time.

I had the same problem when I first got my 229.  When I bought it I also got some mecgar mags.  In the end it turned out to be the mecgars.  Never had a problem with the sig mag.  Bought more sig mags, all worked flawlessly.  Tried the mecgars again, FTF every 3-4 rounds.  I was ready to sell it until I figured it out.  I tried cleaning them, smoothing the edges, anything I could think of.  Maybe I just got a bad batch but they just never fit right.  Nothing but original mags from now on.    

How does the follower on the mecgar compare to the sig mags? I had two promags that wouldn't lock the slide back on my CZ sp-01 and after I compared them with the cz mags, and shaped the top of the followers with my dremel they too have been flawless. Might be the same with your Sig.