Ginob13

Can I buy a pellet gun legally by mail?

Do you guys read the stickies?

http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/

1. Handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1)

....B. Out-of-state resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state laws

3. Blackpowder and pellet handgun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a P2P and Photo ID required

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement

........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement

........(1) NJ dealer = must be shipped to an out-of-state address

........(2) NJ resident = transfer must take place out-of-state

4. Blackpowder and pellet long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested or transfer must take place out-of-state

NJ = "New Jersey"

NICS = "National Instant Criminal Background Check System"

P2P = "Permit to Purchase a Handgun and Form of Register"

ID = "Identification"

FPID = "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD"

COE = "Certificate of Eligibility"

Same criminal charges apply.. same as transporting firearms. So not worth it.

What would someone be charged with? If you buy in PA, you'd be making a legal purchase. Possession in NJ doesn't require paperwork. The only thing to worry about would be to make sure you transport them the same as real firearms.

It's legal to buy air guns, BP and antiques out of state and bring them back to NJ with any paperwork.

OP - it is NOT legal to take delivery (shipped to your door) of airguns in NJ without doing the necessary paperwork.

Thanks. My friends sneak them over from Cabelas and i was told you cant do that.

The only thing I would add is, unless you have an FID, you'd better make a bee line back to your house or a range, or you'll be in illegal possession of a firearm and spend 7 years in prison. So, get your McDonalds in PA.

I find this to be just absolutely nutz. We always say the LEOs know squat on gun laws. Same goes for us.

Now we have BB guns for the 6,273th time. And with the same divergent opinions of the first 6,272!!

So read the stickies and read NAPPEN, PLEASE. Will the NJGF please hire NAPPEN? I would chip in cash for this.

Buy it legally in PA and bring it to NJ. All legal. No problem. Nothing to register. And if you live in a decent TWP, shoot it in your backyard.

OK, I'll amend the post for some info.

Lets say you want to pick up a particular hard to find model of air gun. You can find it online. How the heck do you get it to yourself? Can an FFL buy it for you? is there any place in PA that will take delivery for you?

I only cross paths with the airgunners at the range once every blue moon, and last time I saw something that tickled the gotta have it center of the brain, I had no luck finding the answer before it was gone.

Do you guys read the stickies? http://njgunforums.com/forum/index.php?/topic/29389-nj-law-summary-read-first-nj-gun-law-faqs/ 1. Handgun purchases by ....A. NJ resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a P2P and Photo ID ........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested ........(3) Out-of-state dealer = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1) ........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through NJ dealer - Refer 1A(1) ....B. Out-of-state resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer ........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through buyer's home state dealer 2. Long gun purchases by ....A. NJ resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID ........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested ........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID ........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through ............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or ............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID ....B. Non-resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID ........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through ............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or ............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state laws 3. Blackpowder and pellet handgun purchases by ....A. NJ resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = only a P2P and Photo ID required ........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a P2P with Photo ID suggested ........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement ........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement ....B. Out-of-state resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = must be shipped to an out-of-state address ........(2) NJ resident = transfer must take place out-of-state 4. Blackpowder and pellet long gun purchases by ....A. NJ resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required ........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested ........(3) Out-of-state dealer = no requirement ........(4) Out-of-state resident = no requirement ....B. Non-resident from ........(1) NJ dealer = only a FPID, COE and Photo ID required ........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested or transfer must take place out-of-state Quote NJ = "New Jersey" NICS = "National Instant Criminal Background Check System" P2P = "Permit to Purchase a Handgun and Form of Register" ID = "Identification" FPID = "State of NJ Firearms Purchaser IDENTIFICATION CARD" COE = "Certificate of Eligibility"

question on the one i bold and underlined.......

so if i purchase from a guy in pa, i bring the rifle over here to nj, and go to an ffl here, and ask them to transfer it into nj?

question on the one i bold and underlined.......

so if i purchase from a guy in pa, i bring the rifle over here to nj, and go to an ffl here, and ask them to transfer it into nj?

You cant buy a long gun from an out of state resident. Either that person gives it to an out of state dealer (PA dealer) .....and that dealermtransfers it to you in PA (asking for you for FID , doing PICS check and filling in a COE)....or the out of state resident sends it to an NJ dealer who accepts transfers from individuals and then theNJ dealer transfers it to you

You cant buy a long gun from an out of state resident. Either that person gives it to an out of state dealer (PA dealer) .....and that dealermtransfers it to you in PA (asking for you for FID , doing PICS check and filling in a COE)....or the out of state resident sends it to an NJ dealer who accepts transfers from individuals and then theNJ dealer transfers it to you

Outside of NJ however, a BB gun isnt a firearm, and isnt regulated that way....it's once again one of those "Gray Areas"

Outside of NJ however, a BB gun isnt a firearm, and isnt regulated that way....it's once again one of those "Gray Areas"

What exactly is gray about it? Under federal and PA law it's not a firearm, and NJ can't prosecute you on a transfer that took place in PA.

....A. NJ resident from

This is the part I always found confusing. If I were to purchase a black powder pistol in PA from a dealer and bring it back to NJ is it then considered illegal?

....A. NJ resident from

This is the part I always found confusing. If I were to purchase a black powder pistol in PA from a dealer and bring it back to NJ is it then considered illegal?

Do you have an FID card?

NO, you acquired it legally. You only need a PPP to purchase a handgun (when the transaction occurs in NJ), not own it.

see? this kind of stuff is frustrating. from what i can gather, if i had firearms that i'd purchased when i lived in philly, and moved back here(longguns that is), there would be no action required on my part? or am i wrong there? yet if i purchase them now that i live back here, i gotta go through all this crap.......

see? this kind of stuff is frustrating. from what i can gather, if i had firearms that i'd purchased when i lived in philly, and moved back here(longguns that is), there would be no action required on my part? or am i wrong there? yet if i purchase them now that i live back here, i gotta go through all this crap.......

Longguns and handguns , both if NJ compliant are ok to bring if bought when you were a resident in another state.

No action on your part required after you bring them here.

Now that you are here you have to go through this crap :)

You still would need an FID to purchase handgun ammo and rifle ammo that can be used in a handgun

:popcorn:

Oh, this should be good...

Look, all things considered, when you take a BB Gun into NJ it is not legally different than bringing an elephant gun into NJ.

Think of it that way. Would you go buy an elephant gun at Cabellas and bring it to NJ? If the answer is "no" you have your answer about the BB Gun.

Now that being said, go to NJ2AS.org watch the video below and help us fight to overturn some of these crazy laws.

:popcorn:

Oh, this should be good...

Look, all things considered, when you take a BB Gun into NJ it is not legally different than bringing an elephant gun into NJ.

Think of it that way. Would you go buy an elephant gun at Cabellas and bring it to NJ? If the answer is "no" you have your answer about the BB Gun.

your answer is wildly confusing... and the analogy is not accurate...

if you buy a firearm in another state it is regulated because firearms are regulated on both the state and federal level..

an "elephant gun" IS a firearm.. and therefore can only be purchased by following the law that governs the sale of firearms...

a "bb gun" is regulated for purchase IN NJ.. by the STATE government.. this means if you purchase.. transport.. etc.. a BB gun.. it is essentially the same as a firearm.. once you cross in to PA.. NJ law stops existing.. so PA and federal law still apply.... neither of these regulate the purchase of a BB gun by an adult in PA.. so you (an adult) are free to purchase this in PA.. you do not need a FID.. or a pistol permit.. because you are not purchasing a firearm.. you are purchasing a toy... the moment you cross the bridge back into NJ.. it DOES magically transform into a firearm.. and all laws for transport and use apply..

I see no gray area on this matter.. In regards to purchase it appears fairly clear..