Barms

Storm, Ruger says "People remember price gouging.."

On their investor conference call two days ago an analyst asked to comment about their products are selling at considerable markups on websites.. They responded by saying they think its terrible, and they have never even considered raising prices anymore above their normal annual increase. He was very clear in saying that in this business people remember price gouging and they want no part of it..

i looked briefly but couldnt find a link for a transcript of the whole thing. There really wasnt much talk about Newtown or rifles.. it was very black and white about earnings, demand, capacity.. etc etc..

+1 for Ruger.

How quickly we forget. While S&W was guilty of buckling under to the Clintons, if Bill Ruger were still alive there would be no Ruger AR's and your mag capacity would be limited not by the physical size of the gun, but by Bill's whim. He was one much like Jauquin Jackson - same generation.

I say this not to defame the name or company (Ruger or S&W) but simply to point out that things change, and given enough time, we tend to forgive most transgressions.

BTW, it's Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good for them. A killer response would have be more like: "We are aware of the current pricing of our products in the market. At Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc., we would never even consider raising our prices despite the recent surge in demand and certainly didn't expect our distributors or dealers to either. Going forward, we will be following the situation closely and will evaluate the professional agreements we have in place with those who sell our firearms and accessories. Our goal has always been to supply quality products to our loyal consumers at fair prices. If we as a company feel we need to take action to ensure that goal is maintained, we will take it."

Obviously it would never happen, but it would be interesting to watch the distributors who are marking things way up squirm.

How quickly we forget. While S&W was guilty of buckling under to the Clintons, if Bill Ruger were still alive there would be no Ruger AR's and your mag capacity would be limited not by the physical size of the gun, but by Bill's whim. He was one much like Jauquin Jackson - same generation.

I say this not to defame the name or company (Ruger or S&W) but simply to point out that things change, and given enough time, we tend to forgive most transgressions.

BTW, it's Sturm, Ruger & Co. Inc.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks PBS for pointing that out. I did not know that at all.

Hey Wile E.. check this out.. when asked a question about demand from distrubutors they said something like (and i'm paraphrasing here).. "at the most recent gun show we had distributours asking for more than 4x their "usual" amount. And 4X means they are exceeding their credit line availability by many many times. We don't actually feel like they had that many orders, they were just asking for 4X their usual amount in HOPES that they would get even a 1/3 of what they asked for..."

"we know it wasnt a realistic order, they are just begging for supply in these times.. but we are looking very hard at these kind of off the charts orders and being ver careful around this situation"..

So it was sort of the tone like they were trying their darndest to police it..

(bu alas, i wasnt born yesterday..i know they are in it for the bucks too.. but it was pretty refreshing to hear how black and white this guy was on the call.. there was no BS in him at all.. one analyst for 30 seconds asked a question about fingerprint technology and smart guns and stuff:

"can you tell us at all the work you are doing, the time you are spending working on a technology to smart guns, trigger locks, fingerprints (etc etc) to address the climate we are in?"

His response: "NO." next question.

FYI.. Smith Wesson Earnings next week..