Hello there my fellow new jerseyans. Im about to get my fid and permit to purchase a pistol and Im currently looking into what my first rifle will be. And I was hoping maybe I could get a few opinions. First of all I'm very interested in getting a AR of some kind preferably in 223/ 556. Im on a budget so I cant run out and get some kind of crazy $1500 rifle, but im looking into a few "budget" ars. Ive looked into smith and Wesson mp 15 sport. But through a little more research ive come across the bushmaster carbon 15, and was wondering if anyone had ever handled one or owned one and how they felt. I also really enjoy aks, and would be willing to purchase either a saiga 223 or sks, but this rifle will also be used as a home/ mid range defense weapon and I feel an sks in the home would be a little over powered. Also while both 223 and 7.62x39 are cheap I think the 223 would be a more logical choice it being a NATO round and being so common nowadays. I know someones going to suggest a shotgun and while this is a completely viable option, Ive never liked shotguns. I shot them in boy scouts and I just didn't get feel a connection. Also I'd like a few reccomendations for ammo. Ill need rounds for the range( cheap ) and rounds for defense (preferably soft point). Thank you very much for your help.

Yikes good luck on everything you just said... That's basically what people are going nuts for right now...

The words ".223 cheap" right now is not possible

So your best bet is the gun show this weekend in Pa. Check out eagle arms for more info. Or do a price request on this forum and see if the vendors here can help you out.

Mp15 sport is awesome starter Ar

Damn, you have great taste but worst timing, cmp is basically sold out of field and service grade garands except for the higher end garands. If you got a grand+ you can easily get one from sarco's or the garand guy or here on the WTS section

Hello there my fellow new jerseyans. Im about to get my fid and permit to purchase a pistol and Im currently looking into what my first rifle will be. And I was hoping maybe I could get a few opinions. First of all I'm very interested in getting a AR of some kind preferably in 223/ 556. Im on a budget so I cant run out and get some kind of crazy $1500 rifle, but im looking into a few "budget" ars. Ive looked into smith and Wesson mp 15 sport. But through a little more research ive come across the bushmaster carbon 15, and was wondering if anyone had ever handled one or owned one and how they felt. I also really enjoy aks, and would be willing to purchase either a saiga 223 or sks, but this rifle will also be used as a home/ mid range defense weapon and I feel an sks in the home would be a little over powered. Also while both 223 and 7.62x39 are cheap I think the 223 would be a more logical choice it being a NATO round and being so common nowadays. I know someones going to suggest a shotgun and while this is a completely viable option, Ive never liked shotguns. I shot them in boy scouts and I just didn't get feel a connection. Also I'd like a few reccomendations for ammo. Ill need rounds for the range( cheap ) and rounds for defense (preferably soft point). Thank you very much for your help.
:huh: huh??? I didn't know there was such a thing.

I know its terrible timing, I had wanted to do all this years ago but was living in my parent's home and my mom had certain feelings about having firearms in her home.=/ and yeah right when I move out and filled out my fid all this craziness started. Ive heard bushmaster carbon 15 are about 700-800 if this is true, and I want to wait until my papers clear before I go to the gun store again since I cant handle it anyways, and I already know what I want for my pistol. The one thing I don't like about the mp 15 is the lack of a dust cover=/ I know I probably wont end up using a forward assist anyway ( I don't like the idea of forcing a jammed cartridge into place) but its a good option in an emergency. The bush also comes with optics preinstalled but I think the mp15 sport has flip up sights. I could be wrong but I prefer standard sights over the optic. And as for the over power thing, I live in an apartment and if it came to home defense I feel a 7.62 ak round would tear through the brick walls and end up across the street, whereas the 223 are light and from my research typically fragment or roll when they hit something hard such as a wall. Just what ive heard Im certainly not an expert. And for the record all my stuff is cleared, ncis, fingerprints, state criminal check, medical records, and references are in. I waited for it all to clear before handing in my references, and the officer saiwhen I stopped in today that it should be done soon. Im thinking its just waiting for the chief to sign off on it. ( Hopefully not getting the run around but hes seemed so far like hes trying to help me out and has been very friendly.

I hate to break it to you, but the time to buy an AR or AK for "cheap" was December 14th, 2012.

The odds of you finding a reasonably priced AR or AK is very low and probably will be for the foreseeable future. The odds of you finding .223 ammo is low as well. I would suggest a .22 Rimfire like a Ruger 10/22 but even .22 ammo is hard to find these days. The bulk packs have just vanished. You can still use a .22 to defend your home. I wouldn't want to face off against any gun and a face full of .22LR will let anybody know that they really don't need to be in your home.

I'm going to suggest the same thing I suggested to Gan_G when he asked a similar question. Take a look at a Mossberg 464 in .30-30 Winchester.

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-lever-action-centerfire-464-lever-action/41010

If you want something Tactical-Cool. look at the 464SPX

http://www.mossberg.com/product/rifles-lever-action-centerfire-464-spx/41026

Here's why. The .30-30 Winchester is a fine cartridge. You can still find .30-30 Win on the shelves and it's not that expensive. The .30-30 has been around for over 100 years and has been protecting homes ever since it was called "homestead" defense.

If you don't want the .30-30, look at a Henry or Marlin rifle in .38/.357 magnum. You can still find .38 caliber ammo on the shelves for about $18 for a box of 50. As an added bonus, you can use that same ammo in a revolver should you ever decide to get one.

Welcome to the forums and the sport. You'll find us a lot different than many other gun forums. We are a big family here and we look out for each other. If you want to try out a certain type of rifle, just ask and someone on the forum will probably have it and welcome you to their range to sign you in as a member.

Please take a look at the video below and seriously consider joining the New Jersey Second Amendment Society.

Have fun and be safe.

I would suggest you avoid the Carbon-15's. They are, at best, problematic.

S&W makes a decent starter AR, or you could build your own. Not particularly difficult to build one for parts.

Others have stated that this is a crappy time to get into AR's, and while I will agree its not as good as it was prior to Dec 14,2012, I've seen prices start to drop as availability increases.

The big issue now is availability of ammunition.

Good luck with your venture into the world of AR type rifles. There is plenty of help available, and a wealth of information available on this site.

Jeff

one thing im worried about with the lever gun is loading. I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed (long guns) and for the most part, long guns are built for right handed shooters. meaning id I have to load with my front hand. with magazine rifles I can easily do this and chamber a round. I don't know if this would work on a lever gun because id have to rotate the gun to access the loading port( it would be on the inside of my stance as opposed to outside). That's atleast from my speculation, as I've never handled a lever gun before. Any ideas on this? And thank you for the suggestion like I said this will be my first rifle so id like to explore all the possibilities.

one thing im worried about with the lever gun is loading. I am left eye dominant and shoot left handed (long guns) and for the most part, long guns are built for right handed shooters. meaning id I have to load with my front hand. with magazine rifles I can easily do this and chamber a round. I don't know if this would work on a lever gun because id have to rotate the gun to access the loading port( it would be on the inside of my stance as opposed to outside). That's atleast from my speculation, as I've never handled a lever gun before. Any ideas on this? And thank you for the suggestion like I said this will be my first rifle so id like to explore all the possibilities.

I am the same case like you and i an assure you that with use you ll have no problems with lever guns.

Its all about practice and putting down rounds down the range..........many many rounds.

You can practice at home with snap caps and dummies.........its all a matter ofmpractice and getting used to the rifle.

as fasr as bolt actions go I have the same problem. In bench rest or prone shooting I just use my right hand (support hand) to load and manipulate the bolt but if I was standing would this still work? Meaning would keeping my left hand,(trigger hand) on the stock of the rifle (outside of the trigger guard of course=P) keep the rifle supported or would I lose alignment and have to re acquire my sights after every bolt turn?

You can build an AR without an optic for about 800. Just monitor all parts sales. Get a stripped lower first. Don't pay more than 150 for it. Even if you have to wait for it. The. You can monitor sales and accumulate pets for what you need.

You can build an AR without an optic for about 800. Just monitor all parts sales. Get a stripped lower first. Don't pay more than 150 for it. Even if you have to wait for it. The. You can monitor sales and accumulate pets for what you need.

I disagree, I am actively building rifles for my wife and I. As far as parts go, depending on what you are looking for. You ain't need to be sitting in front of a computer at all times monitoring the different sites.

If you want a basic, no bells and whistles AR, a Rock River LAR-15 A-4 or A-2 is in my opinion one of the best out of the box AR's out there. Not sure of current prices since they sky rocketed, but over the summer a National Match A-4 was a little under a grand. The fancier you get, the pricier.

Lever action rifles are fine for lefty's. Bolt Action not really unless it's a lefty model. There's some great advice being given here and joining the NJ2AS is right at the top, it's worth the $35 for all that's being done to help with our 2A rights. I'm starting to build my own AR as well. I'm going to complete the lower first, then move onto the other parts.

I am also in the market for some sort of AR but with the way things are I dont know if I should just wait or what. I dont wanna break the bank 1-2 K TOPS ( includes everything ). Its hard to say what I really like because well I cant go and rent everything I would like to tryout haha. I have shot a few Colts , Bushmasters and 2 H&K's I would have to ask what models they were, not sure if they were stock or all tricked out either. I know H&K is bigtime $$$ so dont really wanna mess around with them. I guess just something reliable to that I dont have to dump a buch of cash into to make it that way. Keep in mind that this would be my first AR and I kind of want to leave it stock other than maybe new sights. Any thoughts ?