malice95

Sig 220 stainless 45 thoughts?

I'm looking to get my first handgun. I shot a stainless SIG 220 at the range today

and really liked it. It was beefy, felt really well made. Once I got used to the recoil

I got more accurate pretty quickly. Its going to be my primary home defense gun.

What do you think about the Sig Elite Stainless 220 ?

I shot the full size 220 model but I am considering the carry version as well.

I dont see a weight difference on sigs website but I gotta believe

the carry version is lighter.

I also love the stainless frame/rosewood grips look.

Is there another stainless 45 I should be considering that compares

well to the 220 elite stainless? I'm open to other brands...

The carry versions are significantly lighter, at the cost of weaker frames. But I doubt you nor I will ever shoot the life out of one. That being said, if you like it and shoot it well, buy it. There are plenty of .45acp options out there, I would suggest one that carries more in it's magazine (xd45, g21, fn usgs45) but the p220s are great choices... if you dont mind springy triggers (sproing!!!!). I never could get used to it.

If I am going to limit myself to 8rd... I choose a 1911.

You may want to look at the 226 SS Elite in 40. Easier on the ammo ($) and recoil. I went for a classic 1911 SS Sig for my 45 but shoot 9 and 40 using P226's. The 226 also has 12 round mags from the factory but I purchased 15 round magazines from Mec-Gar. I also had a full trigger job done on my 226 SS Elite in 40 to reduce the SA to 2.4 pounds and the DA to just under 6 pounds. It already has the SRT. Beautiful shooter. My 9 is a 226 X6 Scantic so I didn't have to touch the trigger or anything on the gun at all. 2 pound SA trigger, beautiful gun.

Might want to wait for the p227 coming out... I think it's 10+1 capacity in a .45 straight from factory. Can't really go wrong with a sig as they'll basically eat whatever you feed them.

@nuclearheli - not to derail, but did you get your trigger work done at grayguns? thinking about sending mine off for some work.

The carry versions are significantly lighter, at the cost of weaker frames.

Where did you ever get that idea? The Stainless Elite Carry uses the same full-size frame as the standard Stainless Elite. Only difference is barrel/slide length.

Even if you were referring to the alloy framed guns, I'm not sure that you could characterize them as weaker than the stainless framed counterparts. Weaker how? Tensile strength? Hardness?

To the OP, it the weight is a concern, you may be better off going to a full size alloy framed model than to the all-steel carry version - although, weightwise, it may six of one, half a dozen of the other. The benefit would be the longer sight radius. Balance will be different also.

Good luck with whatever you shoose. Hard to go wrong with a classic P-series Sig - just ask me, I have a few :rolleyes:

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So just got confirmation from the PD that the FID card and permits are coming this week.. Looks like I am ready to buy.

So how do you guys go about finding retailer that sells the Sig 220 Elite stainless ? Is there a gun search engine out there?

Seems most I can find are out of stock or well over $1200. I was hoping to find one in the $1100 dollar range.

Is it worth buying the carry version vs the full size? The only difference is a 1/2" of barrel it seems.

Does it make that much difference in accuracy? Weight is not an issue, but 3 or so ounces diff could

shift the balance of the gun.

Who would be a good FFL to use in/near Monmouth County? Looking for someone who is reasonable and

has evening hours to pickup after work or on a weekend. I'd rather deal with an individual FFL around here who

is well respected by this forum vs a business.

Thanks,

Mike

Jim Flynn's Truck Repair on Route 31 in Glen Gardener, NJ is a big Sig Dealer. He may be able to order one for you, if they are available from Sig. Worth a call...(908) 537-6446

Adios,

Pizza Bob

So just got confirmation from the PD that the FID card and permits are coming this week.. Looks like I am ready to buy.

So how do you guys go about finding retailer that sells the Sig 220 Elite stainless ? Is there a gun search engine out there?

Seems most I can find are out of stock or well over $1200. I was hoping to find one in the $1100 dollar range.

Is it worth buying the carry version vs the full size? The only difference is a 1/2" of barrel it seems.

Does it make that much difference in accuracy? Weight is not an issue, but 3 or so ounces diff could

shift the balance of the gun.

Who would be a good FFL to use in/near Monmouth County? Looking for someone who is reasonable and

has evening hours to pickup after work or on a weekend. I'd rather deal with an individual FFL around here who

is well respected by this forum vs a business.

Thanks,

Mike

I do most of my transfer's by appointment. People like it because I am flexible. I have completed a transfer on Sunday evening at 9PM for a client of mine. Send me a PM if your interested.