PDM

ADT Question

There was a thread started a few weeks ago on home security systems in which some people bashed ADT. I have had a good experience with ADT over the past 10 years, but am now having some problems. Specifically, when my alarm goes off it takes between 30 seconds to a minute for ADT to receive the signal. This is bizarre. In the past, if I accidentally set off the alarm and immediately disarmed the system, I'd always get a call right away. Now, if I set of the alarm and disarm it within a minute or so, I don't get a call and when I check with ADT they say they didn't get the signal. They tell me this is the way it is intended to work in order to avoid false alarms.

That seems like utter BS. The reason they call your home and ask for your passcode is to avoid false alarms. If someone breaks into my home, there is a 30 second delay before the alarm goes off. Then, there is now an additional minute delay after the alaram goes off until ADT gets the signal. Then, they will call my home number. If there is no answer, they call my cell phone. After all this delay, they probably wouldn't wind up calling the police until 5 minutes or more after a break in. Even worse, even if I have my system on "instant" mode at night and someone kicks in my door, they won't get the signal until a minue has elapsed -- an eternity in a home invasion.

WTF??! Can anyone tell me how this should work and what the response times are for other monitored alarm systems? Thanks.

I have protect America and its the same config! They told me its just how it's setup (I'm assuming some exec said let's make this standard to cut back on false alarm costs). I have no delay for alarm triggering/sounding but it still takes about a minute before the alarm company reacts!

Same complaint here as you... Curious to know if anyone else might be dealing with and if they found a way around this.

Did you recently upgrade/change out the Alarm panel? (brain to the system) Newer systems have a feature called Dialer Abort to help avoid false alarms. You can turn this feature off on some systems while others you can only choose the delay time 15-60 seconds. If the equipment hasn't been replaced maybe the programming is messed up. Unfortunately it's something that ADT has to program and not the user.

Ditch ADT and go to a quality local alarm monitoring service. ADT sucks. Most alarm companies will allow you to configure your alarm for direct dispatch, with no call to the premises. Get rid of ADT. This could be a good option for you as well. Just keep the phone number for the Alarm Co next to the phone should you need to report a false alarm. Also, fire ADT.

Sent from my reloading bench while wearing Kevlar.

Yes, this problem started after I "upgraded" to their Pulse system. I am pretty sure I am going to get rid of them now. Was looking at Frontpoint, but seems pricey. My once concern with local vendors is -- who does the monitoring? ADT is a huge company, which has many downsides, but allows them to staff and equip a large monitoring center. Who does the monitoring for Joe the alarm guy?

Thanks Nick, but no need to bother. I just cancelled my ADT service. It is astounding how bad their customer service is. I explained the issue, and they acknowledged it but were utterly uninterested in seeking some solution, just said that's the way the system works. When I pointed out that if there is a break in it will in the best case scenario take 5 minutes before they call the police, they sort of shrugged their shoulders. They didn't even seem to care that I was cancelling my service after 10 years as a customer. Good riddance.

There was a thread started a few weeks ago on home security systems in which some people bashed ADT. I have had a good experience with ADT over the past 10 years, but am now having some problems. Specifically, when my alarm goes off it takes between 30 seconds to a minute for ADT to receive the signal. This is bizarre. In the past, if I accidentally set off the alarm and immediately disarmed the system, I'd always get a call right away. Now, if I set of the alarm and disarm it within a minute or so, I don't get a call and when I check with ADT they say they didn't get the signal. They tell me this is the way it is intended to work in order to avoid false alarms.

That seems like utter BS. The reason they call your home and ask for your passcode is to avoid false alarms. If someone breaks into my home, there is a 30 second delay before the alarm goes off. Then, there is now an additional minute delay after the alaram goes off until ADT gets the signal. Then, they will call my home number. If there is no answer, they call my cell phone. After all this delay, they probably wouldn't wind up calling the police until 5 minutes or more after a break in. Even worse, even if I have my system on "instant" mode at night and someone kicks in my door, they won't get the signal until a minue has elapsed -- an eternity in a home invasion.

WTF??! Can anyone tell me how this should work and what the response times are for other monitored alarm systems? Thanks.

Mine works the same way, I noticed from day 1 a year and a half ago...Crappy design...The politically correct BS so cops don't get false alarms (so if somen breaks in and smashes the main panel within a min or so NO alarm will go out)...The system is basically a "tonka-toy". Better than nothing, the lawn sign is probably the most effective thing :-)...I keep mine cause of the CO2 and smoke alarm which is monitored when I we are not home for our pets (supposidly no delay on these two items - they called me pretty quickly when I tested them)...For the regular burgarler sensors - cheeze it can be many, many mins. before they call.

So, back to one of my questions, what is a good alternative. Forget the quality of the system components. Are there smaller, local alarm companies that provide quality monitoring that actually makes it at least possible for police to respond in a timely manner? How do they do it without outsourcing to a larger outfit?

Getting a new monitoring company won't fix your issue.  You need to go into the software and change the setting. It may or may not be listed in the user guide you were given depending on the model. If not, you may have to download the actual manual. It's not hard to change but make sure you test the system thoroughly when you are done.

Getting a new monitoring company won't fix your issue. You need to go into the software and change the setting. It may or may not be listed in the user guide you were given depending on the model. If not, you may have to download the actual manual. It's not hard to change but make sure you test the system thoroughly when you are done.

Well, considering that ADT refuses to offer any solution and insists that the time delay can't be changed, I assume another company might provide better service and at least work with me. I was just wondering what the smaller local alarm companies that many seem to recommend do with respect to monitoring.

I got rid of ADT 6 months ago. I wanted to go cellular and they were crazy with prices. For the last 3 years they tried to rase my rates and I told them I would just leave. They kept my rate the same for the last 3 years. They are very much like AOL with retention schemes. One other thing is, ADT tried to tell my I don't own my system. They own it and the $$ I spent wwas for install. Long story and it's not worth telling....

After I was canceling, they told me they would come put in the cell backup for free, give the parts for free and not even rase my rate...I was happy to get away.

I use Sonia Security now. I like him a lot.

I think my monitoring is $42 with smoke/fire/co monitoring as well.. And no contract (anymore).. The one downside is that it's impossible for me to get rid of my landline while I have it since its an older model.. We don't use our home phone for anything but that. Our line is horrible and only use our cells to call anyone..

I installed Simplisafe a few months ago. All wireless. I'm extremely happy with it. No contracts. Can easily change time delays via web interface. $15 to $25 a month for monitoring depending what features like text notifications you want. Very easy to install yourself and program.

Wouldn't you get a discount with any monitored alarm system?

ADT has a special rate for USAA customers and if I remember correctly it was good for a $500 installation credit too. I opted for some key fobs so I can arm it when I grab my keys. I would consider switching if I knew of a better program but I never shopped around since USAA told me on the phone and transferred me directly to ADT when I applied for my home owners policy.

https://www.usaa.com...cs_USAA_and_ADT

If your ADT system includes both burglary and fire services similar to the USAA package, you are entitled to the USAA monitoring rate. If other features and services are offered in your current ADT system, you may be entitled to a discount on your current monitoring rate.

Most companies offer different monitoring packages. The company I use ranges from $21.95 per month for basic up to $39.95 with interactive cell radio (remote arm/disarm with app or from a pc, email updates etc) It's a smaller company so there are no up front equipment discounts but you do own everything installed. The monitoring (like most) goes up even more if you want to add other features like live view cameras, remote door locks, remote thermostats.

Since these systems are low voltage (12v) you typically have to install smoke/c.o. detectors made to work with the alarm.