maxpayne

noob. with questions

Hi guys.I'm new to this forum.I'm in AC and about to buy an AR from a friend who is selling it and purchased it brand new at Shoreshot in Lakewood.Now as far as my research took me,I found out that all we need to fill up is one form,he gets the yellow copy,I get the white and that's it....Now it looked waaaay to easy for me to be true considering the fact that it's NJ we're talking about and I called the number of that form,NJ state police firearms dpt. and the lady said the same thing.no ffl dealer needed for transfer just between us.I'm still shocked ho easy this is and still don't believe it because i really don'twant to get in trouble.Like they say,not understanding the law doesn't make you innocent.Also the other thing I found about NJ is that is free registration state.How I understand this is that if I buy that rifle do i have the option to register it if I want to or that is for rifles that were in the family and someone inherit them.can you please enlighten me and break it down for me LOL.I might sound stupid but rather be sure than pay fines and get in trouble.Thanks

you both need firearms ID cards ,, that means you both have pass your back ground checks , you also need matching divers licenses .

then you both fill out the COE form that you can print off the state police web site.

By holding a FID card your a law abiding gun owner ! The 1st thing they would do is take that card from you if you where not !

Do you already have an FID? This is a MUST! You can not own a firearm in the state without a FID (unless your a LEO but even then you can not purchase any without one). As far a registering it... that is up to you but this state will not know what I own...EVER!

you both need firearms ID cards ,, that means you both have pass your back ground checks , you also need matching divers licenses .

then you both fill out the COE form that you can print off the state police web site.

By holding a FID card your a law abiding gun owner ! The 1st thing they would do is take that card from you if you where not !

well yes we both have those,And matching DL's but don't we have to sign this infring of lets say a state official or somone that is authorised by the state like a FFL dealer?And if we do that does he have to call the state and tell them that he no longer have that ridle and that is sold to me?Since it was called in and registered to his name when it was purchased at the store.And do I have to call it in the state and report that I purchased it from him and register it...or i don't have to.Because I had to do that with my pistol.It's just,if it's that easy and if you DON't have to report it to the state if you have one or not,noone knows that I have a rifle like this.WHY will they wnt to ban them,but meanwhile they don't keep track of them and don't make people to register them.....it just doesn't make sense to me.

Also,after is all said and done,i get the gun,we sign thr paper,and I decide to go to the range and get pulled over and asked about the gun,do I have to cart that paper along with my purchasers card with me?Also can i laminate them so they don't get damaged with time?Thanks

Do you already have an FID? This is a MUST! You can not own a firearm in the state without a FID (unless your a LEO but even then you can not purchase any without one). As far a registering it... that is up to you but this state will not know what I own...EVER!

WOW...well hell NO i'm not registering noting unless I have to.That is what I wanted to make sure tho...I don't want the ATF at my door for something stupid.Yes ofcourse i have a FID card.I have a few hand guns,bu never had a long rifle of any kind.that's what I wanted to be sure.So if i was to buy a brand new one at the store:do they call it in the state at the time of purchase like the hand guns or no?

You can not own a firearm in the state without a FID

Untrue. There are at least 3 ways. First you bought all your guns while a resident of another state. Second, you inherited your firearms. Third you are a NJ resident in the military on a permanent duty station in a free state and bought all your guns there and brought them back when you came home.

Also, a firearms purchaser ID does not confer _ANY_ legality whatsoever to any firearm in your possession. It is for the purchase of long guns ONLY and ammunition that can be used in a handgun. It merely shows that at one time in your past you were able to pass a background check.

This is not true. You cannot buy one without an FID but you can own one. If you inherit a long gun you don't need to have an ID card and I don't believe you need one to own a long gun that you bring with you when you move to the state. You only need one to purchase or dispose of one. But you always need one for a hand gun. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong here.

WOW...well hell NO i'm not registering noting unless I have to.That is what I wanted to make sure tho...I don't want the ATF at my door for something stupid.Yes ofcourse i have a FID card.I have a few hand guns,bu never had a long rifle of any kind.that's what I wanted to be sure.So if i was to buy a brand new one at the store:do they call it in the state at the time of purchase like the hand guns or no?

Do not register your firearms. If you buy any gun at a dealer, the dealer will runs a NICS check on you. There is less paperwork at the dealer for long guns. There is just a COE and 4473, not any extra registration stuff.

You only need one to purchase or dispose of one. But you always need one for a hand gun. Please anyone correct me if I am wrong here.

You do not need a Firearms purchaser ID to sell a firearm, nor do you need one to purchase a handgun. It'd be stupid not to get one while applying for a permit as it's just a check box, but it is not legally required.

No need for matching DL...just a FID and good to go.

This may be so for a FTF private sale (actually I'm not sure), but a dealer is required to verify ID with a state issued ID of some kind. Even in a private transaction, I would think that the seller would want to make sure they are actually selling to the person identified on the FPID, ergo, some form of picture ID would be needed. Remember, this is NJ, CYA.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

thanks for the answers guys.Yeah When i got my first permit i got the purchasers card also then I switched addresses and got 2 more permits (needles to say i waited 2 months) filing up my new addres on the permits....then when I went to the store and tried to buy a 1911 and show the guy my permit,DL(still the old addes on the front And a sticker with the new one on the front),and purchSers card he said no can't sell u...everything needs to match...so i went back to the police and wanted a just a change of address thinking they will be able to just reprint it after I show them a DL with my new address but they told me i have to re-apply and do am the paperwork all over again.letters of recomendation and everything.....so needless to say I waited another 2 months right after I waited 2 months....SMH so that is why It's still hard to me to believe that it is si easy.I alleays cary my pink copy of the psitol permit with my ID card,i just keep in the gun box.

i guess it will be the same way with my rifle when I get it.My question is,can I laminate those and just to keep them safe?talking about my permit copy,copy of my rifle form,and purchasers ID

What permit copy? I think you are confusing a handgun purchase and a long gun purchase. All that is required for a long gun purchase is your FPID and matching ID. Two copies of the COE are filled out - one for the seller and one for the purchaser. COE's are std 8.5" x 11" - I don't think you want to (or need to) laminate that. It is probably advisable to laminate your FPID, since the process to get a replacement is so heinous.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

What permit copy? I think you are confusing a handgun purchase and a long gun purchase. All that is required for a long gun purchase is your FPID and matching ID. Two copies of the COE are filled out - one for the seller and one for the purchaser. COE's are std 8.5" x 11" - I don't think you want to (or need to) laminate that. It is probably advisable to laminate your FPID, since the process to get a replacement is so heinous.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

the pistol permit.it comes with 3 copies,white-state,yellow for the dealer-pink for us.It says on it that it has to accompanie the pistol at all time.that's what I ment.So I assume it will be the same with the rifle...or only my purchasers card will be enough IF I get pulled over and asked to show any proof of ownership of that rifle for example

This may be so for a FTF private sale (actually I'm not sure), but a dealer is required to verify ID with a state issued ID of some kind. Even in a private transaction, I would think that the seller would want to make sure they are actually selling to the person identified on the FPID, ergo, some form of picture ID would be needed. Remember, this is NJ, CYA.

Adios,

PIzza Bob

Just talking about address matching with FID. I should have cleaned that up.

You started this thread talking about a long gun FTF purchase. FPID (with matching ID) and COE are all that is needed.

Handgun purchase is different - FTF, all that is needed is the four copy P2P and matching ID. Copies to be distributed as indicated after the transaction.

I can't get any clearer than that.

...it comes with 3 copies,white-state,yellow for the dealer-pink for us.It says on it that it has to accompanie the pistol at all time...

First, welcome to the forum.

Second - I can't find the requirement to keep my copy with pistoll all the time anywhere on it. And, there were four copies, additional (blue?) for the issuing authority. Law change?

i think they were 3.I have the pink one,that what I was told from my local police dpt. when i picked it up that it has to accompanie the pistol at all times during transportation (it might be diferent if you have a carry locense which I don't) but it kinda made sense to me."WHAT IF" I get pulled over by a state trooper on my way to the range because there was a bank robery and the car is just like mine and decide to search it and find a gun with no paperwork (crazy scenario but not impossible)

then what do I say LOL.I carry it just in case

The seller is required to disburse the copies of the handgun purchase permit, as follows:

WHITE: NJSP

YELLOW: Issuing authority (Your local PD or NJSP Barracks if no local PD)

PINK: Purchaser

BLUE: Seller

No legal requirement to have pink copy with the gun at all times.

No legal requirement toAll you will have from a long gun sale will be the COE (and a receipt).